Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How significant is AHI of 41?
How significant is AHI of 41?
So, I just received the results of my sleep study: AHI of 41. I know that >30 is severe and I now understand why prescription was given before my appointment with the sleep doctor.

With the CPAP therapy, my AHI has gone down to a bit over 10 and as has been only a week I expect that it will decrease with time.

That being said, how significant was this AHI of 41?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How significant is AHI of 41?
That is very extreme. Like you could have dropped dead any given night extreme.
Post Reply Post Reply
depends on how long the events are. 41 is severe apnea, but i believe extremely severe apnea refers to that which is AHI 100 and up
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2016, 04:37 PM)wayne99 Wrote: So, I just received the results of my sleep study: AHI of 41. I know that >30 is severe and I now understand why prescription was given before my appointment with the sleep doctor.

With the CPAP therapy, my AHI has gone down to a bit over 10 and as has been only a week I expect that it will decrease with time.

That being said, how significant was this AHI of 41?

Thanks.

wayne99,
It's good that your AHI has come down, but like you said, it's only been a week.
Give it another week, and consider posting some data here from #SleepyHead.

This is the scale used by most sleep clinics:
An AHI of 0-5 is considered normal.
An AHI of 5-15 is considered mild apnea.
An AHI of 15-30 is moderate.
An AHI reading of >30 is classified as severe sleep apnea.

Your goal is to get your AHI under 5.

To answer your question of significance, you have severe sleep apnea, but what's more important is the breakdown of your events. Are you experiencing mostly Obstructives or hypopneas. What about clear airways? This is the makeup of your total AHI number.

You are entitled to a copy of your sleep test.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2016, 04:43 PM)GingerMan512 Wrote: That is very extreme. Like you could have dropped dead any given night extreme.

This answer is so unhelpful, scary, and is quite misleading. You do not die of sleep apnea unless it triggers a heart attack or other significant event like a complete and irreversible cessation of breathing.

Many people test with high AHI and have not developed deadly co-morbidities like pulmonary hypertension (which has no cure and may require a lung transplant) or cardiac issues like atrial fibrillation that could throw a clot leading to a stroke, or ... etc.

Be thankful that the individual's condition was diagnosed and is now being treated. And, think before you scare the crap out of someone and raise their stress levels .. especially newbies who look to this forum for explanations, advice, and mutual comfort.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2016, 05:34 PM)srlevine1 Wrote:
(10-06-2016, 04:43 PM)GingerMan512 Wrote: That is very extreme. Like you could have dropped dead any given night extreme.

This answer is so unhelpful, scary, and is quite misleading. You do not die of sleep apnea unless it triggers a heart attack or other significant event resulting like a complete and irreversible cessation of breathing.

Thank you, srlevine, for that answer.

AHI means the person had X events average per hour.
Apnea events (both obstructive and central added together)
plus
Hypopnea events
divided by time

So an AHI of 41 means you had an event 41 times an hour which is roughly once every 1.5 minutes. What happens during any event is the blood oxygen drops and the body responds. Chemicals, toxins, twitching, snoring, you start to wake up just enough to open your throat and the event ends (if hypopnea or obstructive). Rinse, repeat. Sometimes you can have several per minute. Sometimes you can go quite some time without one. That's why it is an average. Over time, various organs and body systems start to suffer from this oxygen deprivation and lack of decent sleep.

The thing is you are getting treated now. You are taking charge of your health. Any damage that was done can quite possibly be reversed or at least easily treated now. High blood pressure decreases almost immediately. Our brain settles down. Our heart is happier. Our lungs are able to do its job. Every cell in our body is getting the right amount of oxygen finally. It can take time for it all to happen. Just like a person with diabetes has to figure insulin out, so do we have to figure out the pressure we need.

Give it time. Work with your doctor. Get a copy of the sleep study and a copy of your prescription. Keep them on hand in case you ever need them again (chances are you will).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
And I really wish they would redo the diagnosis criteria. So many people are unnecessarily freaked out when they hear their sleep study AHI. Like, mine was 68 I think. If the cut off for severe is 30, mine was TWICE that? OMG! I'm dying? Why are they taking so long to get what I need? Can I safely sleep until then? What the heck am I going to do?? Those two weeks I was miserable. And I shouldn't have been.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses. I was told today by the sleep clinic that they are unable to provide much info because I need to review with the Doctor, and that is scheduled two months from now. However, I insisted that I wanted to know the AHI. With their response, they also offered that if I am not compliant with the cpap therapy, I would likely loose my licence as they have duty to report.

She also said that oxygen is not really getting to the heart and the heart does not really have a chance to rest in the night.

Anyway, I have high blood pressure - been as high as 240 over 118 resulting in hospital, but typically around 160 over 105 or so. I have been eating healthier over past several months and manage now go get bp around 130 over 95. Tonight measured again and is 118 over 78. I have read that some people who have severe sleep apnea and high bp, the high blood pressure can go down with CPAP. Anyone here experience that?

I am grateful for this forum and the advice given. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Wayne

Congrats on getting your BP down so far - that's a very positive outcome.

In my own case my BP was staying stubbornly high despite medication, but after a while on CPAP and some lifestyle changes it has come down to a similar number to your own. The CPAP has also totally cured my ectopic ventricular contractions, which is why I was sent for a sleep test in the first place.

I agree with Paula that the diagnostic categories should be revised. There should also be a measure of the frequency (AHI) combined with the duration for a more meaningful measure of the potential damage being done.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think more than half the members here have untreated apnea as high or higher than your results. It's not atypical. Once you find the right mask machine, pressure and adapt to the therapy, you no longer have sleep apnea. You may use a CPAP, but you no longer will snore or stop breathing. It's like smoking where once you stop, you heal. It takes time, and if you had sleep apnea for a long time, then it may take longer to heal.

This is not too complicated. Get comfortable, sleep well, get better.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 49 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 65 5,911 03-19-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] DreaamStation Stays at virtually constant pressure; Significant AHI increase Tom Buck 6 405 01-06-2024, 09:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Significant noise from mask since change of CPAP machine! SwissTruffle 7 702 01-03-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP and Significant Other that Cleans the Bedroom StratCat48 0 279 09-03-2023, 07:12 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Small tweaks can lead to significant changes. nathanoj 0 447 06-14-2023, 01:13 AM
Last Post: nathanoj
Question Any Significant Difference Between S10 & S11? mikepd2510 3 1,992 04-29-2022, 07:44 PM
Last Post: mikepd2510

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.