Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[How to] CPAP nightmare may be simply solved...
Idea 
CPAP nightmare may be simply solved...
You had a hard day, you go to bed soon to enjoy a good sleep night. CPAP in function, everything going good, you falling asleep peacefully. Dreaming

Suddenly, at 2 am : " CRACK.... PSSSST...", a major air leak wake you up! Perturbed

RED ALERT... Angry

A part of your system, CPAP, tube, mask, or other, suddenly are broken...
Why, you dont know, but what you know, is your night has just finished there, if you have not planned it out with spare parts ... and if you don't had ! Huh

Head in the clouds, you want to go back to bed as soon as possible. .Your brain, still fuzzy, try to find a fast troubleshooting repair to complete your night. Blink

Oh-jeez You seek... you find... you fix it... restart your CPAP and go back to bed ... Haaaaaa!!! Bed

It's already happened to you?
What's happened?
How you solved it?
What was the repairs?
What material are you use?
Did you make a permanent repair later on?
Etc ...

All those answers of these questions are as many troubleshooting tips for any CPAP user. Often it's small and simple things but they make a great job.
I invite you in that "THREAD" to share your tips and tricks, those one get you out of trouble during one of these fateful night.

You feel to share... then start blogging! Grouphug3

Au revoir !

Gustave
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP nightmare may be simply solved...
I use a ResMed Ultra Mirage II Nasal Mask.

I sometime, find myself in the midst of the night with broken mask and a significant air leak. Annoyed-and-disappointed

The most common failure with this mask are with:

1) Headgear clips
2) Elbow clip tabs
3) Forehead Support adjusment tab
4) Cushion clip

[Image: 3tqn.jpg]

These are plastic parts that are subjected to repeated bending eventually break always leaving me, in the middle of the night, in trouble !

1) Headgear clips

This is the central part that breaks and no longer holds the clip in place.
If you insert firmly in reverse after reversing too the head gear band, it can easily take the rest of the night.
For a more permanent solution you can block it with small tie-wrap.

2) Elbow clip tab

This is the tab that break. If it's only one the swivel remains in place but beware for the second one it's too bad, no longer holds.
That's when I called my trusty electrical tape, which follows me everywhere! I apply a layer of tape over the joint of the elbow and swivel, ok it's not turns anymore but you can position your hose were is attached to your CPAP.
CAUTION DO NOT BLOCK THE AIR CLEARANCE IN BOTTOM OF WIND COVER, leave enough space between the bottom of the wind cover and tape, so that air is discharged freely without restriction. DO NOT COVER THIS PART BECAUSE THERE IS A CHOKING HAZARD.

3) Forehead Support adjusment tab

When it breaks the mask no longer holds on his position angle adjusment.
Again my friend, the electrical tape comes to my rescue.
I place the forehead support to the desired angle and I wraps tightly around, enough tape to fix in place.
A good idea is to mark the angle used before the tab breaks, it simplifies the repair at night.
If you always use the same angle you can think a way to fix this unecessary adjustment permanently. Maybe tinny stainless steel bolts with auto lock nuts, one on each side and the job is done!

4) Cushion clip

This one is the most difficult. What I find is to have a spare one, new or old broken/repair one that I glued with plastic reduced model glue (don't use cyanoacrylate glue).
Beware you must paste it in its original form and then paste a "plastic patch" on the outer side to give sufficient strength to the joint to resist the pulling pressure.
To do this lightly sand the outside of the clip, then use a piece of plastic the same type as the clip (some kind of pill box, plastic wine glasses etc.) to make the patch. Once properly adjust the patch, paste it and let it dry completly. Sanding with a emery nail file, smooth the edges an perfectly fit with the clip.
CAUTION Be sure to use an adhesive that will not domageable for your eyes and skin.

I hope that you're some stuff will be useful to you and allow you to quickly back to bed! Bed

Au revoir ! Smile

Gustave
Post Reply Post Reply
I have spare masks - all the ones I tried before I found the one I use - and a spare hose.

I don't have a spare machine for obvious reasons, so that's what I imagine will fail some Friday night. There's not much I can do about that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey, mdh235, Well-done good idea to keep those masks for "spares".

For spare CPAP, I bought a "Out of box" one on Second hand supplier (See Supplier list).

It's a brand new machine, but no box, ResMed S8 Auto, EPR, Humidifier, hose, bag, etc. 0 Hours on count, clean, safe and warranty, all that for very low price!

My friend brought a used one from the same supplier, exacly the same machine but with few hour on count, clean, safe and warranty for less money than mine. it's work very fine, no problem at all.

You can get one for much less money!
If you take a Basic CPAP model, not auto, no EPR, no humidifier etc...
to have it like "spare" one.

If you are interested, get a look on supplier list!

Au revoir ! Smile

Gustave
Post Reply Post Reply
How I solve my CPAP problem was by selling it because I wasn't going to deal with it anymore. By using an oximeter, I found out that by simple deduction that it had to be my tongue falling back causing my apnea. So, who says forcing air down into my lungs is the answer or furthermore, good for your lungs and overall health?
Besides, I can't effectively breathe through my nose due to constant rhinositis/hay fever and a deviated septum. One night of the mask was hell enough...so, CPAP out the window. So, using my head to think a little (you are allowed to do that), I asked myself what can I google as an alternative easier method to keep my tongue from closing off my air pipe? I tried various mouth guards that were not engineered correctly until I tried Prosnore II. This mouthguard is very light and locks by means of velco-like plastic which you DO NOT want to lock into place anymore than you need to as this velcro system will smear and render the mouthguard useless, especially if you are a teeth grinder. This mouthguard is very comfortable compared to other competitors and seems to hold my tongue back the best over time. But, problems with the wear of the velcro system and wear/tear of imprints worn making too loose for fit are the major negatives besides the long wait for the purchased mouthguards. Well, over the 2 years and 5 sets of mouth guards--I found it so terribly important to make sure your bottom teeth are imprinted deep and as accurate as possible which is what I failed to do on my first couple of mouth guards. As, over time, it is your bottom guard that is moved forward that holds your tongue away from your throat. You receive epoxy/fast setting mold to place into mouth trays and make your imprints. You have 3 tries to make your top and bottom imprints so if you mess up on one, you have another one for makeup. You mail them in their self addressed/prestamped large envelope and wait. You may wait 4-6 weeks before you receive your mouthguard so I found it very important to have at least 2 mouthguards (est $200/for 2---$139 for 1).
Well, after 2.5 years of 85% effectiveness (meaning the mouthguards do wear out over time and, for me, slips out of my mouth when they get old and/or the velcro system fails--about 4-6 months average, worse on my first 3 sets). So, I gave up on the mouthpieces and believe I finally found the answer. Simply by googling "apnea tongue support", I found a company called AveoTSD. They sell for $89 each. I am 6'1-250 lb, 55yr male--after reading the info, I assumed "medium' size as the information says 95% would choose medium size. I chose correctly and after having the TSD for 3 weeks now, I am 100% sold and believe I found the final answer to my apnea. The TSD looks like you are sucking on a pacifier and is funny to look at but believe me, you will sleep very good and so far to me is 100% effective. The Tongue Support Device is made of very loose type plastic that creates suction whereby your lips create the support lifting your tongue away from the back of your throat. Okay. I only had this device for 3 weeks but I know already that this is the best apnea device for me. It took a couple of nights to get used to, notably, your tongue will be a little sore the first few mornings but, guess what, I never woke up due to apnea. I slept through most nights and is the least "equipment evasive" answer to my problem which is a major consideration for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2013, 06:24 PM)Gustave Wrote: Hey, mdh235, Well-done good idea to keep those masks for "spares".

For spare CPAP, I bought a "Out of box" one on Second hand supplier (See Supplier list).

If you are interested, get a look on supplier list!

Au revoir ! Smile

Gustave

I've been tempted to do just that. I'll go take another look around.

Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi AxSlash,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Gustave, Thank you for your posts, great information.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi AxSlash and

Welcome

I am glad that you have found, for you, a simple solution to your problem of sleep apnea.

Thank you for making us share! Thanks

Au revoir !

Gustave Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2013, 06:58 PM)AxSlash Wrote: How I solve my CPAP problem was by selling it because I wasn't going to deal with it anymore. By using an oximeter, I found out that by simple deduction that it had to be my tongue falling back causing my apnea. So, who says forcing air down into my lungs is the answer or furthermore, good for your lungs and overall health?
Besides, I can't effectively breathe through my nose due to constant rhinositis/hay fever and a deviated septum. One night of the mask was hell enough...so, CPAP out the window. So, using my head to think a little (you are allowed to do that), I asked myself what can I google as an alternative easier method to keep my tongue from closing off my air pipe? I tried various mouth guards that were not engineered correctly until I tried Prosnore II. This mouthguard is very light and locks by means of velco-like plastic which you DO NOT want to lock into place anymore than you need to as this velcro system will smear and render the mouthguard useless, especially if you are a teeth grinder. This mouthguard is very comfortable compared to other competitors and seems to hold my tongue back the best over time. But, problems with the wear of the velcro system and wear/tear of imprints worn making too loose for fit are the major negatives besides the long wait for the purchased mouthguards. Well, over the 2 years and 5 sets of mouth guards--I found it so terribly important to make sure your bottom teeth are imprinted deep and as accurate as possible which is what I failed to do on my first couple of mouth guards. As, over time, it is your bottom guard that is moved forward that holds your tongue away from your throat. You receive epoxy/fast setting mold to place into mouth trays and make your imprints. You have 3 tries to make your top and bottom imprints so if you mess up on one, you have another one for makeup. You mail them in their self addressed/prestamped large envelope and wait. You may wait 4-6 weeks before you receive your mouthguard so I found it very important to have at least 2 mouthguards (est $200/for 2---$139 for 1).
Well, after 2.5 years of 85% effectiveness (meaning the mouthguards do wear out over time and, for me, slips out of my mouth when they get old and/or the velcro system fails--about 4-6 months average, worse on my first 3 sets). So, I gave up on the mouthpieces and believe I finally found the answer. Simply by googling "apnea tongue support", I found a company called AveoTSD. They sell for $89 each. I am 6'1-250 lb, 55yr male--after reading the info, I assumed "medium' size as the information says 95% would choose medium size. I chose correctly and after having the TSD for 3 weeks now, I am 100% sold and believe I found the final answer to my apnea. The TSD looks like you are sucking on a pacifier and is funny to look at but believe me, you will sleep very good and so far to me is 100% effective. The Tongue Support Device is made of very loose type plastic that creates suction whereby your lips create the support lifting your tongue away from the back of your throat. Okay. I only had this device for 3 weeks but I know already that this is the best apnea device for me. It took a couple of nights to get used to, notably, your tongue will be a little sore the first few mornings but, guess what, I never woke up due to apnea. I slept through most nights and is the least "equipment evasive" answer to my problem which is a major consideration for me.
would this solution help with clear apnea or central apnea? If you have either one of those, I think your tongue support device wouldn't help with those and that would scare me!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] User interface nightmare - Resmed Airsense 10 edsela 4 620 09-15-2023, 07:23 PM
Last Post: edsela
  SOLVED high capacity humidifier car54 17 5,662 08-02-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Wink [CPAP] SD CARD NOT SHOWING RECENT 12 DAYS * SOLVED * Samultra 1 502 05-12-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  SOLVED - ResMed Aircurve 10 popping noise FJ40 18 11,943 11-29-2022, 02:30 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
Gross First night Nightmare's Willowbender 3 601 11-27-2022, 05:14 PM
Last Post: Willowbender
  [Leaks] Solved P10 Large Leaks using OSCAR and this board withtao 0 796 10-15-2022, 10:43 AM
Last Post: withtao
  Solved obstruction but CA events increased BarbikyuChikin 2 579 09-27-2022, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Brazen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.