Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[News] Take home clinic: Sleeptracker watch offers analytics for insomniacs
Take home clinic: Sleeptracker watch offers analytics for insomniacs
Take home clinic: Sleeptracker watch offers analytics for insomniacs

[Image: Sleeptracker_Elite__both_side_1.jpg&height=167]

By April MacIntyre

For elite athletes and those afflicted with Sleep Apnea and other health issues, this particular monitoring device worn as a watch on the wrist is a godsend.

Normally I'm a total gadget-phobe.

It takes me forever to master digital recorders, cameras and even regular watches, so I was nervous at first to tackle the "Elite" SleepTracker, losing sleep on remembering the sequences to set times, alarms and vibration features on this new analytic device.

For elite athletes and those afflicted with Sleep Apnea and other health issues, this particular monitoring device worn as a watch on the wrist is a godsend.

For me, it was interesting, but at this time in my life, sleep problems are rare.

You must remember to wear it to gather data and for it to wake you up at the optimal time, when your sleep is shallow and you will be more alert.

SleepTracker Elite detects the movements associated with a light sleep stage and gently wakes you at the optimal time, within a window of time that you set. SleepTracker also has a more than 90% proven accuracy rate of professional sleep monitors.

SleepTracker’s SmartStart Technology continually analyzes your sleep throughout the night to determine the best possible moment to wake you helping you feel refreshed and even has a USB cord that connects you to your PC while you sleep, which sort of freaked me out personally, but for number and data crunchers, it's a good time.

Their website has comprehensive free sleep software available to those consumers who make the purchase. SleepTracker uploads your data directly to your own personal SleepTracker Analytics™ account. This shows you how you slept, ways to improve your sleep, and gives you an overall sleep score every night.

The watch has features a large display that’s easy to read. Setting the watch is simple and intuitive using the side buttons, even for me. The watch can be set to wake you up via vibration or alarm at an optimal time in your cycle when your body is nearly awake naturally.

The device, when programmed properly, analyzes your sleep patterns throughout the entire night. SleepTracker Analytics, available for PC and Mac, give the user a visual overview of their sleep, as well as an overall Sleep Score for the night, SleepTracker Analytics stores data to be compared over time.

Caveats: You have to be okay wearing a large watch to bed. It was noticeable for me, as my wrists are small, so for women or slighter men, you may find that an issue.

You also must set a wake up time window range in the morning. This window can range from 20 minutes to an hour, setting it yourself. I need to be up weekdays at a very certain time, so know this going into the purchase.

The analytics that Sleeptracker watch offers are fascinating, and for those who are having real sleep issues, it's a bargain versus paying a doctor for tests, as you can learn what affects your sleep and how to manage your natural sleep cycle best for waking. Think of it as an affordable take home sleep clinic which empowers you to become much more aware of your biorhythms.

Fair use from:
http://www.monstersandcritics.com/lifest...insomniacs

The above post may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. The material available is intended to advance the understanding of Sleep Apnea treatment and to advance the educational level of Sleep Apnea patients with regard to their health. Sometimes included is the full text of articles and documents rather than a simple link because outside links frequently "go bad" or change over time. This constitutes a "fair use" of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material in this post is distributed without fee or payment of any kind for research and educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this post for purposes of your own that go beyond "fair use", you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Take home clinic: Sleeptracker watch offers analytics for insomniacs
I read this twice. I still have no clue what it is saying.

You set an alarm and it wakes you. Um, yeah, I got that already. It's called, get this, an alarm clock.

It determines when to wake you based on...what? Pulse? Movement? What if I sleep in one position and never move? (I do that a lot)

And, as an insomniac, how is it to help me?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Found this video:

But that still doesn't explain how it works... from their website:

Quote:SleepTracker’s SmartStart Technology monitors your sleep stages throughout the night and then uses that data to determine the exact moment when you should be awoken helping you feel refreshed and energetic. SLEEPTRACKER® also comes with the most comprehensive sleep software available allowing you to see how you slept, ways to improve your sleep, and your overall sleep score.

Did you know that if you are awoken during a light stage of sleep you will feel more refreshed, energetic, and alert? Unlike any other product on the market, the patented SLEEPTRACKER® wakes you up during a light stage of sleep helping you start your day feeling less tired and groggy. Typical alarm clocks go off at the time you set regardless of what stage of sleep you are in. The deeper the sleep when the alarm goes off, the worse you feel when you are awoken. With SLEEPTRACKER®, you tell it what time you want to wake up, and then select a window of time for SLEEPTRACKER® to find your lightest stage of sleep to wake you up. For example, if you set your alarm for 7am with a window of 20 minutes, SLEEPTRACKER will wake you up when it detects your lightest stage of sleep between 6:40am – 7:20am. SLEEPTRACKER® also has a snooze feature, and the option to be awoken with audible chime or gentle vibration or both.

It seems they're claiming this thing is able to know what sleep stage you're in, or whether you're in deep or light sleep... not sure how that is accomplished. Huh

Any know more?

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Magic. And nanotechnology. There's a wee little sleep lab in there. All in that little watch.

The only thing I can figure out is that we tend to move around more shortly before waking up. Besides pulse, that's the only thing it can detect from there. Maybe O2 but I doubt it.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
The fact that we can't seem to find any details on how this thing works (even from their website) is a good indicator that we're dealing with snake oil salesmanship here. (I think).

Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've always wondered how many snakes it would take to make an 8oz bottle of the stuff.

Ew, just grossed myself out.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
For Innsomnia get one of these, it will keep you entertained for hours in the bedroom.

[Image: big-moth.jpg]

Sorry couldnt resist.... Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
I so hate you. Really. That's nasty.

Gonna build me a boat and come to Scotland, hunt you down, and smack you.

And then you shall feed me something Scottish in origin. And we shall sing songs.

I will, most likely, smack you twice just for the next time.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 99 Yesterday, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Home Sleep Study - Low AHI but significant desat ArcherNeedsSleep 65 5,918 03-19-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  REM and Sleep Stage Tracking at Home rwelliot 15 5,329 02-26-2024, 03:49 AM
Last Post: DebJ
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 867 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton
  I cannot fall asleep with my bipap/home ventilator. Hypoglossal nerve stimulator? Jay51 220 14,591 01-17-2024, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Son Finished Home Sleep Test - Possible UARS? Skeptic 7 625 12-16-2023, 01:21 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.