Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

What caused this?
What caused this?
Checked my OSCAR from last night, everything was cruising along decent enough and then the pressure went up my flow rate went to crap. Stayed crap for about an hour and then the pressure dropped back to smooth sailing again. The thing is, I'm not really seeing anything that caused the pressure to jump up in the first place and I'm not sure why my flow rate went to crap. My flow limitations were the highest I've ever seen them. I have been having some nasal congestion for the last few days but it hasn't caused this before. 
I added a little more zoomed in shot during what looks to be the worst of it right after this post.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: What caused this?
Shot of what I think is the worst of it.

Post Reply Post Reply
Include flow limits in your chart. The answer will be obvious.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I saw that. I just don't know what caused the flow limits to get out of hand like that. It's not a normal occurrence. Moved the "flow limit" graph into the picture.

Post Reply Post Reply
It's most likely positional, but could be anything that increased breathing resistance and partial obstruction. The flattening of the inspiratory wave was pretty clear in your previous graphs, and the Resmed Autoset responds aggressively to flow limitation with pressure increases. When it doesn't respond it's often positional. The recovery breathing at the end of the flow limitation really says a lot on how much you probably desaturated. This was like a very long hypopnea, but over 11 minutes.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2023, 10:04 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:  The recovery breathing at the end of the flow limitation really says a lot on how much you probably desaturated.  This was like a very long hypopnea, but over 11 minutes.

That is what concerned me most about the whole thing. I haven't ever had that happen before...and hopefully it won't again. I just wasn't sure what might have caused it this time. I guess I'll just keep an eye on my nights and make sure it doesn't become a normal thing.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Minute Ventilation looks to be very low during the low flow period here - I doubt you could maintain that for so long without arousal. Could it be that your nasal congestion was higher in this period/position that you switched to mostly mouth breathing and we only see some of the total ventilation on the PAP graph. We do have an increase in leak during the low flow periods which could be through the mouth which would align with that theory.
Post Reply Post Reply
What Kappa said. Might be worth getting something like a Wellue O2 ring to appease any concerns. I often have periods like this where my leak rate is around 15 l/min - I've woken a few times to the sound of air going out my partially opened mouth. My O2 monitor shows no drops despite very low tidal volume/minute vent during such periods. Most likely the increase in pressure triggered the mouth breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you said in the first post that this was an unusual event for you. That is why I'm not going to suggest chasing this down or trying to manage or avoid it. The large breathing at the end is a natural reaction to an arousal with a buildup of CO2 and likely desaturation. What it shows is that everything is working well, and you were aroused from sleep and probably given a shot of adrenaline and a lot of motivation to BREATHE! This event is not at all unusual except for duration and I would guess you were in a pretty deep state of sleep or would have had multiple arousals. If an event like this becomes common, then it may be worth doing something more. You were at maximum pressure and that did not clear the obstruction, so there is not much to be done with the CPAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Y no photos of mask-caused "sores" on the www? nelsonka 1 393 12-15-2023, 08:54 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  High amount of central apnea caused by OSA? LiaASV 32 2,509 12-04-2023, 10:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Cervical collar caused more centrals? Xeros 4 1,115 10-31-2023, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  New to Bleep Eclipse and caused a sore Kathy14225 5 1,027 10-31-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Can Clear Airway (CA) events be caused by coughing fits? Slides2023 0 504 01-23-2023, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Slides2023
  [CPAP] Help understand what caused suffocation feeling AlamedaBeachBum 6 1,244 01-09-2022, 10:29 PM
Last Post: AlamedaBeachBum
  Need help with swollen nasal turbinate's caused by CPAP LBTRS 25 4,062 10-13-2021, 10:20 AM
Last Post: allistairt

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.