Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to Keep Nose Open at Night?/Humidifier Defective?
How to Keep Nose Open at Night?/Humidifier Defective?
I have posted before about humidity and other problems regarding the Aircurve VAuto BiPap I got in November.

I realized more the last couple of days, that my nose is closing down about 5 a.m. every night, and is probably the reason I am waking up in a complete panic each morning between 5:30 and 6:30.

I have struggled forever trying to get the humidity right with Any mask on either the Airsense 10 Auto (in the past) or the Aircurve VAuto that I am on now.  

Each morning the humidifier bin is bone dry whether it sprayed water in my face all night or was dry as the Sahara desert (depending on the mask).  And yes, it does it on both Auto Climate and Manual with low or higher settings.  And nasal and pillow and full face masks.  And good room temps and wrapped hoses etc etc.

I even wonder whether this Aircurve has a defective humidifier system - Even when I set it on Auto Climate, Sleepyhead shows it set to Manual Level 4??  Especially with set on "Auto Climate" the air feels incredibly dry (despite draining the water bin dry...)

I have an appt with an ENT doctor in a couple of weeks, but wondered if you had any tips, and also if any other people had defective Aircurve Humidifier issues.  Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to Keep Nose Open at Night?/Humidifier Defective?
Usually it's two things that make a humidifier tub run dry. 1. High pressure settings. 2. Mouth leaks. I'd guess mouth leaks which cause the machine to use more air which in turn uses up more water.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Right now my settings are about 10-20 with PS of 2 - I guess that is considered high?  Average is about 16.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd say that pressure without leaks would use most of the water. If your running the humidifier at a high setting than it for sure would empty the tank. You could buy a second tub and swap them out during the night.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, duh, why didn't I think of the 2nd humidifier bin??  Lightbulb moment!  Thank you!

Also excited - found machine and mask expert that I'm seeing next week to get mask, machine, humidity, everything advice and she actually knows what she's doing and runs the Sleep Lab for the best doctor around (have a September appt).
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds like your in good hands. Sleep Well.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
You Too! - Just ordered my extra water bin - Woo Hoo!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bluemom51,
Hopefully at your appointment next week, you will finally get your problems resolved. Let us know how things go.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much - I am very hopeful - She started as a Sleep Technician and has transitioned to being a machine and mask expert.  She knows so much about Sleep Study Interpretation, etc.  After many frustrating months, I can't wait to talk to her.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 202 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 153 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,984 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 173 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.