Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to Know if you got good sleep
How to Know if you got good sleep
Googling around to find out about the Pillar Procedure (in 2010, not recommended), I found this other interesting article: http://www.sleepreviewmag.com/2017/02/kn...f=cl-title which basically says for my age I'm not doing as bad as I thought.

>>>New guidelines from the National Sleep Foundation set some specific parameters on what exactly makes for a good night’s sleep, reports Business Insider.
Quote:The team behind the study provides four easy ways to tell if you slept well:
  • For most adults and kids of all ages, falling asleep in 30 minutes or less qualifies as good. For adults 65 or older, falling asleep in 60 minutes or less is good.
  • Good quality means that most adults and kids wake up for more than five minutes no more than once per night. (Older adults may do this twice.)
  • If you do wake up, it’s for 20 minutes or less. (For the over-65 crowd, 30 minutes or less.)
  • You sleep for at least 85% of the time that you’re in bed.
Read more at www.businessinsider.com

The full article from Sleep Health is at http://www.sleephealthjournal.org/articl...9/fulltext but you'll have to pay to read the whole thing.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to Know if you got good sleep
I wonder how they determine that. Is it because you are well rested or that you meet the average of your age group? I tend to think that as a group, the over 65 crowd doesn't feel as well rested as the younger groups due to health issues. If that's the case than you might of slept well by the NSF parameters but not be well rested.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't read the full article, but I would assume that anybody with sleep apnea had it treated to an acceptable level, and that other sleep disturbances were also treated. Otherwise they couldn't possibly have slept well.

I take comfort in the relaxed number of wake-ups and longer waking times for the over 65, even if I don't fully qualify as well-rested. I'm not as bad off as I thought.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
You need EEG. A good sleep is 20-30% in stage 3/4. 

Check this hypnogram.

If you get 20% of Total sleep time in Stage 3, its good, if it's Stage 4, even better. If its just up to Stage 2, it's not good. I used to have only up to Stage 2. Right now i have roughly 10% in Stage 3 on a good night.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's very generalized. Lots of people meet the criteria, but because of apnea, they never get good rest.
Post Reply Post Reply
It can take me 15 minutes some nights and 4 hours the next, normally though it takes me about ten minutes (if there is no noises like an aircraft carrier full of aircraft ready to take off sleeping next to me), her breathing is starting to be affected, but she just shrugs it off.
It was her that got me to go to the doctor before I knew i even suffered from OSA. Shame she will not heed her own advice!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I had a crap night last night, woke up every ten minutes, then leaks started. Woke up, air hissing everywhere, adjusted and went back to sleep, then 10 minutes later the same thing, hissing noises and air everywhere! This went on all night and when I looked at the machine in the morning...... Green smiling face and. 03 AHI. Really, it is pulling my leg and giving it a twist at the same time!
However, I feel fine today with no ill effects. Hope it goes better tonight.

I think having to have a shower this morning might have had something to do with it lol. ????
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I was doing good progress but suddenly can't take it anymore Elijah1220 2 109 10 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Resmed Mini good - Resmed 11 not good r2davis3 2 112 04-23-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question INTUS Sleep results, mild sleep apnea or UARS? Chimken 2 113 04-23-2024, 06:00 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Just had a sleep study - Central Sleep Apnea with Cheyne Stokes srpmccarthy 3 205 04-23-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Good cervical collar for large (20 inch) necks Fox66 2 73 04-21-2024, 01:51 PM
Last Post: Fox66
  Is my 95% pressure stat good or...? Hone 7 228 04-20-2024, 07:18 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anyone know what a good starting point for a woman using an ASV would be? erouting 6 120 04-20-2024, 03:42 AM
Last Post: erouting

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.