Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

ResScan CPAP Reporting Software (OLD version: 5.5) [Archived Discussions]
RE: ResScan CPAP Reporting Software (current version: 3.16) [copied from old forum]
healthcareworker Wrote:
SuperSleeper,(time=1286813704) Wrote:There is also some sort of "data skew" issue that can contribute to this problem, where in the charts, flow lines, pressures and apnea events don't line up properly, and the effect is accumulative - meaning it gets worse over time. Some people have resolved the issue by re-formatting their SD card frequently so that the errors don't get too bad.
on the data skew thing, found this:

Here's how I fixed my skewed data, at least from here on out:

To check your skew period:

Put your event graph above your flow graph for both view panes. Choose whichever 'time window' best suits for the upper 'navigation' pane, and '5 minutes' for the lower 'detail' pane. Click on one of the most obvious apneas (the longer the better) in the upper pane to get close, then center it as you please in the lower pane. You'll likely see that the event as marked on the lower pane is skewed forward a certain period of time from the identical data in the flow graph in your detail pane.

Take a snapshot of your ResScan 3.10 window and bring it into your favorite image editor. With the rectangle tool, draw a rectangle whose upper right corner sits square in the 'lollipop' icon of your target apnea in the event and whose bottom left corner sits at what you approximate to be the very end of the apnea as it actually appears in the flow data.

Next, create a similar rectangle as a meter to measure the distance from one 1-minute tick-mark to a consecutive minute tick-mark in the minute ruler for the five-minute detail pane.

Divide the width of your minute rectangle by the length of your skew rectangle to get an approximation of the number of minutes your skew is off. Multiply this number by sixty to get the number of seconds instead. (See below.) The only thing is that the data for the hypops seem to be skewed differently. I wonder if there is more than one skew bug here... Either that or I still don't really 'get' how to identify a hypopnea on a graph.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=13]

To reset your card and eliminate skew:

I've saved a copy of my sd card from last night and then wiped the card using ResScan. In doing so, the card only contained settings data only. I put the card into my machine and it accepted the wiped card, but did not wipe all the accrued summary data still on the machine. I locked the card before putting it into the usb card reader on my computer, then downloaded and discarded duplicate data. All of my data for last night (and the nap too) are now lining up correctly as shown below. Data for the previous skewed nights remain skewed - not much to be done about that. I would amend best practices for card use thus:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=14]

Amended Best Practices:

* Open ResScan - allow it to finish opening.
* Lock your SD card.
* Stick the SD card in the reader and allow ResScan to identify the card with the 'Quick Start' feature.
* Select your patient ID.
* 'View Data'.
* 'Discard Duplicate Data'. (I know I've said it before... Flow data erasure is not something that should be so easily accomplished. There should be a check box that allows a default setting the first time. If you are about to erase data from your patient record, you should be asked whether you really want to delete it. It should also be a default setting in tools -> options. I hope ResMed is reading... Smile )
* Read your data.
* Save. (If you're viewing nap data, you could choose not to save here, and wait until your night has finished to save it for real.)
* From here, since the card is locked, it probably doesn't matter if you close ResScan first. It can't change your card.
* Remember to unlock your card when you put it back into the machine.

There also needs to be a more obvious method for wiping the SD card. 'Tools' -> 'Device Settings' -> 'scroll around until you find S9' -> 'erase all data?' is not an intuitive way to wipe the card. How about 'Tools' -> 'Wipe and Reset Device Settings on Card'?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: ResScan CPAP Reporting Software (current version: 3.16) [copied from old forum]
On these SD memory cards, the SD card has a lock - a switch on the edge of one side of the card. Sliding it up or down will unlock or lock the card. When the card is locked, you will not be able to transfer any data. It's probably best to always keep the card unlocked. On some cards, if the slider is even halfway towards the lock position, the card will be locked. Make sure that the slider is all the way to the UN-locked position.

See this Wiki Entry on the slide lock of an SD card.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

DaKitty,(time=1289359256) Wrote:I am missing something that all of you seem to understand. SD card ? I have a ResMed VPAP Auto 25. It has a data card that I can slide into the back of the unit and copy data onto, but it isn't SD. How are you getting your machine data to an SD card ?
Howdy, Kitty, welcome to the forum!

Actually your machines comes with a ResMed data card (smart card), which is different than the standard SD cards that come with the newer S9 units. These newer units have an SD card slot in the back rather than the older style smart card slot.

You'd have to purchase a smart card reader to read data on your card. They usually sell online for around $80.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

jaybo,(time=1289590338) Wrote:I don't see how ResMed's card readers can possibly be proprietary. All a card reader does is read cards Smile Since the S9 card is a standard SD card it's readable by any device that will accept that type of card, including the built-in card reader on my PC. Just about daily I remove the card from my S9 and plug it into the SD slot, start ResScan 3.12, and see what's happening with my OSA.
Hi jaybo -

I'm not talking about the SD card readers - you can use any generic card reader for that, I bought mine for less than $15.

I'm talking about the SmartCard readers for older Resmed units, like the one Kitty was asking about (ResMed VPAP Auto 25) - from everything I've heard the generic ACR38 readers that are compatible with ResMed smartcards are no longer available for sale new, at least not in the U.S. There may be some for sale in Australia, or used ones on eBay, however.

From what I've researched, the ResMed smartcards are the same technology, but a different size and shape, and can't be read by anything other than a ResMed brand reader (available now for about $80) or a generic ACR38 card reader (which are no longer available in the U.S.).

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

jonnybee,(time=1290894756) Wrote:When I hover cursor over "usage" graph (summary graphs), a pop up window shows number and duration of "mask events".
What constitutes a "mask event"?
A mask event is when you use your mask. If you put your mask on, sleep the whole night, then wake up in the morning and take it off, that is "one mask event". If you put it on at night, then take it off in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, then put it back on and take it off in the morning, that is "two mask events".

The duration is how long you had the mask on.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

pepstein,(time=1291654829) Wrote:I see that the res scan is for WIndows only. I have a mac. Anything I can do short of buying a whole new computer system? Thanks, Peggy
Hi Peggy - welcome to Apnea Board!

Yes, right now Windows is all you can run it on.

However, there are some different ways to run a Windows program on a Mac - I think "WINE" is one of those methods, not sure if you'd need a copy of Windows XP or Windows 7 to install on your Mac also. Might be simpler to get a junk used computer or laptop running WinXP, in the long run.

Here's Apple's info on how to run Windows on a Mac:
http://www.applematters.com/article/thre...-your-mac/

But before I'd mess with all that, I'd check with friends/relatives to see if anyone has an old WinXP computer they're not using - that would be the best thing. You don't need a top-notch system, just one that runs WinXP and has a USB slot through which you can attach a cheap $15 SD card reader, no need for a lot of hard disk space, fast processor or a ton of RAM memory.
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

boat2k,(time=1296096060) Wrote:I am new to the board and cpap and my question is if you use the software does it erase your memory card or does it leave the data on the card when you import the data?
Hi Boat - welcome to the forum!

When you import (download) the data from the SD card onto your computer, the SD card retains that data and does not erase it... I can't remember, but there may be a setting you can change to erase the data after the download, but I don't think that's the default option, so you should be safe.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

thatbrian,(time=1297767968) Wrote:Does anyone know if this software will run on Windows 7 Starter Operating System. I have Mac computers, but was going to purchase a netbook to run ResScan.
Hi Brian!

I have no first-hand experience with Windows 7 Starter - hopefully someone can chime in who does have knowledge on that. I do know that the current version of ResScan 3.13 runs great on my Windows 7 64-bit OS, and we've had members that have no issues using it on Windows 7 32-bit.

In the meantime, I have heard that Windows 7 Starter has issues with programs that run fine in Windows XP, but the standard versions of Windows 7 don't seem to have such issues. Win7 Starter can only run 3 apps at any one time, so that may be a consideration.

There has been some degree of dissatisfaction with the limitations of Win7 Starter edition, see here, here, and here.

Some have had to upgrade their Netbooks to the next Win7 Operating System, like Win7 Home Premium to get all their applications running the way they like. I'm pretty sure that upgrade is going to be around $80-100.

If you do decide to get a Netbook or Laptop, make sure it meets ResMed's recommended requirements for ResScan version 3.13 are as follows:

Quote:ResScan Recommended Computer Requirements

The following are the recommended and minimum computer requirements in order to configure
the system and to transfer and print the stored data. You need to ensure that you have
Administrator privileges for installation of software (if using Windows 2000, Windows XP or
Windows Vista). Contact your computer administrator if you do not have administrator privileges.

Note: If only the minimum configuration is used, performance cannot be guaranteed.

• Windows 2000 SP4 (or greater), Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista Business or Windows
Vista Home Premium.
• CD-ROM drive for installation.
• Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 or above must be installed.
• Pentium Processor, 2.4 GHz computer or above (compliant with IEC 60950 or EN 60601.1)
(minimum 1.7 GHz).
• 1.0 GB RAM (minimum 256 MB).
• At least 250 MB of free hard disk space required for the ResScan application (not including
storage for patient files).
• A serial port for RS232 connection, capable of reliable 56 k baud (eg, 16550 UART).
• A USB port for USB device connection.
• Parallel, serial or USB printer port, or network connection for printing.
• Monitor/graphic card (1024x768, 16-bit colors, 8 MB video RAM).
• A PDF reader must be installed (eg, Adobe Reader®).
• Optional: SmartMedia card reader (floppy, USB or PCMCIA).
• Optional: ResScan Data Card reader
• Optional: SD Card reader
• Optional: Microsoft Outlook 2000 for emailing reports.
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Just a note on downloading ResScan from the link:

If you're getting small or possibly corrupted files, I would wait until it's after 11:00 pm your local time, or before 9:00 am to try to download a large file like this. Your local ISP is much less busy during those times and you're far less likely to get a corrupted file download than if you attempt to download during the busy part of the day in your area.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

wonderboy Wrote:Found this elsewhere on the internets about how to add tidal volume and respiratory rate for the S9 in ResScan. (I think these directions work only for ResScan 3.13 and 3.14):

Quote:Although these steps are specific to the S9 Autoset, they should work for other Resmed machines by substituting the correct line for your specific machine.

First off, as idamtnboy suggested in another thread, I recommend downloading Firstobject's XML Editor from http://www.firstobject.com/dn_editor.htm. NotePad or XML NotePad can be used, but FO XML Editor is fast, free, doesn’t require an install, and I found it much easier to use.

Here are the steps I took for my S9 Autoset in order to see respiratory rate and tidal volume with ResScan 3.13-3.14 (the steps for prior versions are different):

* Make a backup copy of C:\Program Files\Resmed\ResScan3\ResScan.xml (Windows XP)first, so that you can get back if any errors are made

* Make another backup copy of C:\Program Files\Resmed\ResScan3\ResScan.xml if you're prone to making mistakes like me :lol:

* Open C:\Program Files\Resmed\ResScan3\ResScan.xml using your chosen editor

* Locate /RESSCAN/DATAANALYSIS/VIEWS/DETAILED/GRAPHS/RESPIRATORYRATE/GRAPH/PNA_EXCLUDE/<EXCLUDEDNODE NODEID=”#RRT”>

* Either delete the next line containing <EXCLUDEPNA PNA=”S9_AUTOSET”/> or comment it out so that it reads <!--<EXCLUDEPNA PNA=”S9_AUTOSET”/>-->

* Locate /RESSCAN/DATAANALYSIS/VIEWS/DETAILED/GRAPHS/TIDALVOLUME/GRAPH/PNA_EXCLUDE/<EXCLUDEDNODE NODEID=”#TID”>

* Either delete the next line containing <EXCLUDEPNA PNA=”S9_AUTOSET”/> or comment it out so that it reads <!--<EXCLUDEPNA PNA=”S9_AUTOSET”/>-->

* Save the file

* Open ResScan 3.13 and go to your patient file

* Under Review, go to Detailed Graphs

* To the right of Serial No., click the "Show/Hide Graph Information Panel" button

* Under the Navigation and/or Detailed tabs (whichever you desire), check the boxes for Respiratory Rate and Tidal Volume (may need to be logged in as a Windows admin user for these changes to be persistent)

* At this point, you should be able to see both respiratory rate and tidal volume, but tidal volume may look empty

* Since ResScan fixed the tidal volume scale bug in 3.13, go to the menu for Tools->Options

* On the Preferences tab, click the Detailed Graph Range button

* Select Tidal Volume in the Graph dropdown list and set the upper range to something like 1000, 1500, or 2000 (I used 1600 because I tend to take a deep breath to kick Autostart in)

* Click okay to close the options window

In regards to the "Locate" steps, each section between forward slashes refers to a block of code. In Notepad they appear as separate lines inside angled brackets (such as <RESPIRATORYRATE>). In XML NotePad or OF XML Editor, they are levels in a tree structure, similar to folders inside Explorer.

You should now be able to see tidal volume data. Unfortunately, because the scale was wrong in earlier versions, the tidal volume for sessions that were downloaded prior to 3.13 will appear to be a flat line due to the bug fix. I have, however, verified that re-downloading prior data will correct it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New version doesn't find profile BlueSky1958 7 83 03-26-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  ResScan 7 help! [password issues] DakotaNorth 2 85 03-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Cannot import data from ResMed Astral 150 to ResScan or OSCAR BreatheEZ 8 2,324 03-16-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  problem downloading OSCAR SOFTWARE Bailey104 1 88 03-15-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Does ResScan delete detailed logs/records from the SD card after downloading them? Determinism 5 178 03-15-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  ResScan 7.1 nawolfor 2 370 02-26-2024, 10:29 PM
  NOTICE: ResScan 7.1 Software now available [for ResMed machines only] SuperSleeper 0 426 02-26-2024, 10:27 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.