Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[How to] ResScan using too much disk space
ResScan using too much disk space
My patient file now contains 145 files. All but 3 are RLK suffix files.
They start at 2655KB and grow to 23305KB. It looks like an RLK file is created for every day that high rate data is included in a download.
example: I DL 3 days of data and it asks about "overwrite" -- I say discard. So, I get 3 new RLK files dated for the day of download.

They now occupy nearly 2GB on my HDD. Has anyone tried to archive or toss any of the older files without losing history?

Am I doing something wrong?

It's not that I do not have plenty of disk space; but, I do a weekly backup to my NAS; and these files are now a significant part of the transfer.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResScan using too much disk space
The S9 files are apparently larger than the S8 files. Each of my S8 files is 48KB. I guess it is probably the flow rate data that makes the larger file

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2014, 08:24 PM)PaytonA Wrote: The S9 files are apparently larger than the S8 files. Each of my S8 files is 48KB. I guess it is probably the flow rate data that makes the larger file

I would assume so. I might just try moving all but the last 30 days files to another directory; then open the Program and see if I still have all the data access I have before.

I am wondering if instead of discard, I should be clicking overwrite when DL'ing for the SD card.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2014, 08:57 PM)justMongo Wrote: I am wondering if instead of discard, I should be clicking overwrite when DL'ing for the SD card.
I think choosing "overwrite", you would loose flow data on days older than 7 days but not 100% sure

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2014, 09:10 PM)zonk Wrote:
(08-02-2014, 08:57 PM)justMongo Wrote: I am wondering if instead of discard, I should be clicking overwrite when DL'ing for the SD card.
I think choosing "overwrite", you would loose flow data on days older than 7 days but not 100% sure

That's what I thought.
Das ist, was ich dachte.
Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2014, 09:44 PM)justMongo Wrote: That's what I thought.
Das ist, was ich dachte.
هذا ما ظننت Rolling laugh

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-02-2014, 08:57 PM)justMongo Wrote:
(08-02-2014, 08:24 PM)PaytonA Wrote: ... I guess it is probably the flow rate data that makes the larger file

I would assume so.
I am wondering if instead of discard, I should be clicking overwrite when DL'ing for the SD card.

The S9 VPAP machines record two "High Rate" (20 samples per second, I think) data streams ("Flow" and "High Rate Pressure", plus the other slower (1 or 2 samples per second, I think) data streams.

My computer is down for repair these days, so I can't check how large my downloaded files are in ResScan.

I don't know how much data is needed for each sample, but it is likely that at least several bytes of data is used per sample, especially if the data contains time stamps and other identifiers for each sample.

If the data format per sample required 32 bytes, for example, this would result in large data files, and the file size for a 10 hour session would be:
32 bytes/sample times 20 samples/sec times 3600 sec/hour times 10 hrs , or about 23MB per 10 hr "High Rate" file, which would be about the same as the largest size file you mentioned.

I think the size of the files downloaded for a night would not be affected by selecting Overwrite versus Discard. If I wanted to find out, I would create a new or dummy patient and experiment as a new patient, so I would not risk losing any of my previously downloaded high rate data.

I have intermittently lost high rate data from my ResScan Patient folder by selecting Overwrite instead of Discard. I say "intermittently" because sometimes data is lost but other times it is not. A few months ago, using ResScan 4.1 or 4.2, I mistakenly selected Overwrite and did not notice any data missing from previous weeks or months, but I did lose most of my previously downloaded detailed data (or maybe just high rate data) when I selected Discard a year or two ago.

Within the past couple months at least one forum member has reported losing some previously downloaded data when Overwrite was selected. So I will continue to select only Discard.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResScan 7 help! [password issues] DakotaNorth 2 98 03-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Cannot import data from ResMed Astral 150 to ResScan or OSCAR BreatheEZ 8 2,353 03-16-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Does ResScan delete detailed logs/records from the SD card after downloading them? Determinism 5 180 03-15-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  ResScan 7.1 nawolfor 2 376 02-26-2024, 10:29 PM
  NOTICE: ResScan 7.1 Software now available [for ResMed machines only] SuperSleeper 0 439 02-26-2024, 10:27 PM
Thumbsup ResScan 7.0 now available! [old version] SuperSleeper 54 17,639 12-30-2023, 07:44 PM
Last Post: jocemar
  OSCAR and ResScan export to csv notis58 0 611 04-24-2023, 05:45 PM
Last Post: notis58

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.