Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newly Disgnosed ASV
Newly Disgnosed ASV
What I was on CPAP for many years with pressure set at 15.  New study shows I have centrals so ASV was recommended.  I am using an Aircurve 10 ST with an F&P Evora FFM and this is my fourth day and really struggling.  I thought it would be an easier transitioning from my previous pressure setting.  I am constantly adjust the straps after the pressure ramps up.  I even pulled out my old nasal pillow hoping it would be better but both options had different problems.  With the FFM I can't control the leaks If it is a small leak the cool air on my skin is irritating enough I can't sleep and with big leaks it's a disaster.  The nasal pillow fits better but with the pressure is so high I get a gurgling noises in my mouth that are loud in my head so I can't sleep plus the pressure is harder on my nostrils.  Also one night it was pushing so much air it made my stomach hurt.

Here are my study finding so any comments or suggestions are welcome.

EPAP min 17 and max 21

Pressure Support max 8 they were unable to set the max that high so I am not understanding what  pressure support does. 

Max pressure 25

Breath rate 12

With both mask options I feel like I have a harder time exhaling.  

I've seen posts about OSCAR and wonder if that's something I should use since my machine only has a card with all the data on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Newly Disgnosed ASV
Hi, Lizziecat  Welcome to the Board!  Definitely, download OSCAR and post some charts.  Good folks here will be able to help you with this transition.

Just click on OSCAR up above in the black band, follow the instructions, and let us know if you have any questions.
Post Reply Post Reply
We need to see your charts to help you. You said your pressure is going up, why it's going up will point us in a direction and your daily charts will guide us.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lizziecats, the Aircurve 10 ST and the Aircurve 10 ASV are two different machines and serve completely different breathing disorders. If you have in-hand a prescription for ASV, you should call the supplier that mistakenly provided the ST and insist that ASV be dispensed as ordered by the doctor. The two machines are not interchangeable. Here is a link to the Resmed Clinical Titration Guide https://document.resmed.com/en-us/docume...er_eng.pdf Please read the conditions that ASV and ST are intended to treat and how each one works very differently.

Your ST is meant for people with pulmonary and neurological disorders that cause COPD, hypoventilation and other restrictive pulmonary disorders. The ASV is uniquely designed to treat complex and central sleep apnea. The ST provides fixed pressure and pressure support on each breath to enhance volume. It has a fixed backup rate to trigger IPAP if spontaneous breaths do not occur. The ASV works with much lower EPAP pressure and has adaptive pressure support that changes on a breath by breath basis to maintain your respiratory rate and volume with or without spontaneous breathing. You have the WRONG machine and should complain to both your doctor and supplier! Someone doesn't know what they are doing and you are being treated with settings and equipment appropriate for a COPD patient, not a central or complex apnea patient.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Lucid I will definitely be downloading OSCAR

Thanks Gideon for the links I will get OSCAR set up and hope it will help me understand more what is going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
Thanks for responding. I went back to the owner's manual just to make sure i got the name correct.  It says AirCurve 10 ST-A sorry for leaving off the A so does that change your response in any way. I am also attaching my sleep study reports in case that might help as well. The first one was a BiLevel Titration and the second one was an ASV titration.

I have an appointment to see the respiratory therapist on Monday because of the issues I am having.  I guess we will look at a different mask but I still have concerns that I can only wear it between 2 and 3 hours before I have to take it off because I simply cant sleep.  Last night was a little better in controlling major leaks but only because the mask was so tight.  And I know the recommendation is always to not over tighten but so far that isnt working for me.  And that is why I went to a nasal mask 15 years ago when first on CPAP. 

I will be setting up OSCAR so in time the reports might provide some helpful info but not sure that works unless I actually asleep.

Thanks again for any wisdom you can share before I see the respiratory therapist.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 21 358 5 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 478 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 408 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Newly diagnosed. prettybadapnea 2 371 11-07-2023, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Newly diagnosed - mostly centrals & hypopneas - advice please :) sleepymum81 5 893 08-31-2023, 09:32 PM
Last Post: jwest
  Newly Diagnosed - How are my stats with Airsense 11 jetonr 2 628 07-13-2023, 06:55 AM
Last Post: jetonr
  [CPAP] Newly diagnosed, just started CPAP HiHo 1 431 06-08-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.