Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

Question Swapping Video Cards
I wish to swap the OEM video card in my Dell 8700.
It has an Nvidia GT635 card. I am going to swap it with an Nvidia GT750Ti SC card. Mechanically it's a fit. And power wise, its within budget.

15 years ago, I would just swap the cards and deal with any issues.
Age has made me more risk adverse.

Question: Should I remove the existing card's driver before shutdown; then swap cards; and load the new driver?

I wonder if I should also delete the Nivida control panel?

Mongo

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
02-05-2015 09:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

RE: Swapping Video Cards
I'd just install the new card, restart the system and then let plug and pray, oops, I mean plug and play find the new card and load the drivers. It may ask you if it wants to delete the old drivers.

Homer
02-05-2015 03:08 PM
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

I'd just go for it. Since they are both Nvidia's the main difference will probably be the gaming drivers. Mine is GTX 660Ti and is updating the drivers every month or two for games that I will never play.

P.S.: Nice Card!

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2015 03:22 PM by Crimson Nape.)
02-05-2015 03:20 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
retired_guy Offline

Preferred Members-2

Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Once installed, you will want to adjust the jet thingies. Turn all four screws at once to make sure you get it right.
02-05-2015 07:00 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)

(02-05-2015 07:00 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  Once installed, you will want to adjust the jet thingies. Turn all four screws at once to make sure you get it right.

Fortunately I invented the 4 bit screw driver.*
No jet thingies. It does have a discgronificator.

* not available in Oregon due to environmental regulations.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2015 09:03 AM by justMongo.)
02-05-2015 08:26 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

(02-05-2015 08:26 PM)justMongo Wrote:  No jet thingies. It does have a discgronificator.

I bought a whatchamacallit last year that had a dysfunctional discgronificator. Sent it back to the ACME company for repair and they sent it back with the discgronificator removed and two jet thingies in it's place. Worked great ever since. As an added side-effect, it emitted a noise that repels stink bugs and female ferrets.

That said, as far as Nvidia control panels, if you no longer have a Nvidia graphics card, theres no need to retain the control panel app. If you install a new Nvidia card, hopefully it came with a newer version of the Nvidia control panel on an install disk. Thinking-about

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

02-05-2015 09:38 PM
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Now, back to the issue.
1) I fear I might end up with a machine that's kaput.
-- if I do this wrong, I'd have to rely on a rollback using Win7 backup program.
(I backup the system image regularly to an external HDD -- and my data to a NAS.)
But, I don't trust MSoft's backup SW.
A clean install is out of the question as I have downloaded SW like Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Acrobat (full) that I cannot get back.
2) If I do not uninstall the present Nvidia drivers (and there is a bunch) plus control panel, I don't want a bunch of zombie DLL and SYS files loading.

It would make for a lot more work -- I could do this...
I run two WD HDDs in RAID 1 mirror. I could pull one drive, then install my spare and let it rebuild the array (about 2 hours).
Then if it goes badly, I revert to the drive I pulled and rebuild the array using the drive I pulled as the source drive.

02-06-2015 09:18 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Sleeprider Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Resmed Climateline
CPAP Pressure: Auto Bilevel 18/9, PS 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

I am yet to see the computer that I can't drop in the new video card and have it work. Most onboard cards are turned off by dropping a card into the video graphics slot. Sometime the initial video is not optimized for resolution until drivers are installed, but I would not uninstall the original drivers. There is no risk of data loss as the hard drives are not affected by the install.

If you do uninstall the default drivers and control panel, the machine will likely display a fall-back VGA resolution until the new card and drivers are dropped in. Again, not usually a problem and does not affect the ability of the machine to boot, although you will get error messages after shutdown if you don't have the new card installed for the next boot.

02-06-2015 11:30 AM
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

JustMongo,
I don't blame you about Micro$oft's backup. I use Clonezilla instead and make a regular image of my O/S drive. If you feel a little nervous I'd setup a multilevel backup. I'd manually set a restore point then boot to Clonezilla and make an image. After that, boot in safe mode and remove the video drivers. After switching cards and rebooting, Windows should notify you of new hardware found and start the process. If it all goes to "hell in a hand basket" you could then try the restore point, the easiest. If that doesn't work you can restore the image.

You could try making a game of it. Take a shot of liquor just prior to removing the card. Take another before and after installing the new card. Then for every failed attempt, take another shot. Continue this until it either works or the little symbols on the motherboard start to make sense. It will get your mind off the problem!

If you are unfamiliar with Clonezilla, it's a free gnu-licensed imaging software. Either download it from Clonezilla.org or get Parted Magic, it has Clonezilla in it. Both have boot image files and are free.

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
02-06-2015 12:55 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

(02-06-2015 12:55 PM)sgearhart Wrote:  You could try making a game of it. Take a shot of liquor just prior to removing the card. Take another before and after installing the new card. Then for every failed attempt, take another shot. Continue this until it either works or the little symbols on the motherboard start to make sense. It will get your mind off the problem!

Perhaps why I was less risk adverse when younger. I used to drink.

02-06-2015 01:54 PM