Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[How to] TELEMEDICINE
TELEMEDICINE
Does anyone in the forum use "telemedicine" and willing to share computer requirements and setup instructions for both windows and mac computers?
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: TELEMEDICINE
In Atlanta, one hospital/medical group is starting to use "ExamMed". You are sent an email with an invitation link to a protected connection. When you select the link, you can elect to use your browser or download the app, "ExamMed", from either Google Play or the Apple Store. The only requirement is to use a device that has video capability. The hardest part was opening firewalls and computer permission configurations on the hospital/medical group's computers.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not telemedicine, but I'm just about to start remote cello lessons. The requirements are a device (phone, tablet or PC) with camera, microphone and speakers, and somewhere to place the device so that its camera captures your face, bow and left hand. I'm using Zoom on an old iPad.

For a medical consultation I would imagine very similar requirements would apply. Maybe also have a thermometer, pulse-oximeter, and a microphone capably of hearing internal processes such as heartbeat, lung sounds (especially bubbling).
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm thinking it's really going to depend. Teleedicine is any remote diagnosis and treatment, so it's everything from phone calls to specialized apps. There is no one answer and will depend on what kind of medicine your care provider uses.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2020, 08:46 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Not telemedicine, but I'm just about to start remote cello lessons. The requirements are a device (phone, tablet or PC) with camera, microphone and speakers, and somewhere to place the device so that its camera captures your face, bow and left hand. I'm using Zoom on an old iPad.

My son has started providing piano lessons from the music school he works at. At this stage they are just using Skype. Same requirements as DB mentioned.
Post Reply Post Reply
Whatever electronic method you choose for telemedicine make sure the connection is secure (meaning encrypted). If it's via web browser you should get the little lock near the address bar. If it's an app, check the documentation first.
Your doctors office should have info available about which type of telemedicine they use (if any), and what is required. Many Insurance companies have a "nurses hotline" you can call for basic stuff. Local county health departments usually have hotline number setup, although they may be overwhelmed at the moment. Some third party medical places offer remote medicine, just be aware of any costs upfront.

Will also depend on whether or not your insurance company covers telemedicine, and what type. You wouldn't want to get stuck with some enourmous bill....
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did in-home sleep study, seeking referral to remote sleep medicine doc (telemedicine) NightOwl42 11 3,107 02-04-2019, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Stom

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.