Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New member - intro
New member - intro
Hello!

New board member - hopefully will be able to attach OSCAR images soon.

Been diagnosed with sleep apnea for over 10 years now - tried to use CPAP twice - unsuccessfully.
I just could not overcome the sensation and have up very early.

Earlier this year I had surgery - nose septum fixed, hyoid suspension and partial glossectomy.

Initially I felt that I was doing better, but after a couple of months a had a new sleep study that showed very little improvement.

My AHI was over 50 on second study (first one was over 60).

This is my third attempt with a CPAP and thanks to the Dreamware full mask, I have been able to tolerate the therapy and I am starting to get use to it.

I feel I am getting better sleep and the initial OSCAR data seems encouraging (still cannot explain everything but the AHI seems to be consistently at single digits.

Any tips on how to understand if I have a mask leak problem?

My Dreamware app shows 100% mask fit, but OSCAR shows leaks (again not sure if I am reading too much into the graph).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New member - intro
Welcome. There are many very knowledgeable people who can help you. But all will ask you to post one or more nights of Oscar charts. The chart order is at the bottom of the post.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is an attachment

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the club,

I am pretty sure you can Attach OSCAR now as a New Attachment >Choose File. I'm also certain your default 4-20 pressure can be edited to get you better results once we see OSCAR. The leak graph for your PAP had 2 lines the upper is overall and the lower is your mask and mouth unintentional, if I'd got that right. That lower line needs to be fairly low but not zero. I'd not really on the mask fit, just adjust your straps to minimize leaks while lying down. Check by deflecting the mask from side to side. Minimal leaks but not painful. Lots of users mess this up by going too tight.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi nickanti,
Your machine is set to a wide open pressure range of 4-20.  

First, since Respironics is slower to react to apnea events, you will need to set the minimum pressure closer to the 95% number which would be about 8cm.  So set your pressure range at 8min - 20 max.

Keep your AFlex setting at 2, and please turn off the ramp.  It's just going to delay your therapy.

Post another chart tomorrow and we can go from there.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
They gave you the same advice as I would try. Give those pressure a try. I can’t see how anyone can get enough oxygen at 4 - that is as low as the machine can go and an adult needs more than that. 

You asked about leaks - your leaks are minor and not a problem if these are your normal.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep BUMP that 4 to 6 or 7 as it should add a bit of air. It'll help your Respironics get a head start on events. Even so it looks pretty good now, so it should get better from here.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your feedback.

Made some adjustments - kept the ramp but limited to 15 mins at 6 cm (remember I had 2 failed attempts in the past due to claustrophobic feeling).
Increased minimum pressure to 7 cm (for now).

Yesterday's session attached (I did wake up once that I am aware of during the night but quickly fell back to sleep).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 134 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 494 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
  Some advice with aperia and intro cpap kit ifsmithy 2 310 12-18-2023, 12:42 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,021 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New member, first night of Oscar data michael7 19 1,556 10-31-2023, 07:07 PM
Last Post: michael7
  New member sghalloway 11 996 10-07-2023, 02:13 PM
Last Post: sghalloway
  [Pressure] New member and new OSCAR user squiddog 4 456 09-19-2023, 01:06 PM
Last Post: squiddog

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.