Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to adjust the full mask usage
RE: How to adjust the full mask usage
According to the chart you posted,
The median (average) leak rate was 1.2 liters/minute. The 95th percentile leak was 6 liters/minute. 95th percentile is the leak rate that is recorded 95% of the time used. The maximum leak recorded was 13.2 liters/minute.

Overall, these aren't bad numbers, but the goal is to get 0 leaks. If the leaks are near 0, your mom will get better therapy from her machine and less disturbed sleep.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Those leaks are great. Any thing less than 24 l/m is providing effective therapy on a resmed machine. The lower the better as leaks can cause wake ups and sleep disruption. I suggest you download sleepyhead rather than resscan it’s a much simpler program to use.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with jaswilliams. Unless the leaks are disturbing sleep anything below 24 n/l is good.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
What about EPR Expiratory Pressure Relief level. Currently is 3 cm H2O (default). Does this need to adjust noramly? thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
The EPR setting will lower pressure slightly when your mom exhales. It is a comfort feature. It doesnt adjust automatically. At EPR 3, the exhale pressure will drop 3 cmH2O.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2018, 11:36 AM)JesseLee Wrote: The EPR setting will lower pressure slightly when your mom exhales. It is a comfort feature. It doesnt adjust automatically. At EPR 3, the exhale pressure will drop 3 cmH2O.

Yes. What I mean is does 3 is good number to start with. I just not sure any of the number need to adjust

Based on the machine (Resmed AirSense 10 is self-adjusting device), it is auto ramp and the pressure is between 4-20 cm H2o to adjust.  I don't know whether i should take all the default number (as everything set as auto except humidity level to change), whether is good enough for her to feel comfortable. 

thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on the chart that you provided in an earlier post, you can make some adjustments. 95% of the time, your mom's pressure is at 12.4. Her max pressure is at 13.4. Her current settings are at 4-20 and that is a really broad range. Since she is not experiencing any significant central apnea, I would suggest that you set your min pressure at 8 and max pressure at 15. Although the machine is doing a good job at keeping her AHI low, these new settings may help to keep pressure rises from interrupting her sleep. Also, you may adjust EPR to a lower setting to see if the reduction in pressure change helps as well. It's all about getting her comfortable.

Ramp can be used if she feels uncomfortable with higher starting pressure. If you want to use ramp manually to see if it helps her, you might try a starting pressure of 5 for 5 minutes. If she doesn't feel like she's getting enough air, you may want to increase the ramp start pressure or disable ramp by turning ramp off.

If you haven't done so, there is a link at the top of this page "CPAP Setup Manuals". Request a copy of the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset clinician manual for instructions on how to make adjustments in therapy settings.

Hang in there, gonna get this worked out.

Also, when you make adjustments to the settings, it is wise to let your mom use those settings for at least a few days. All changes take some getting used to, and making a lot of changes like you have done recently need to be tried out for a little while. Your mom will never get used to anything if big changes are made often.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Slight correction to the above

Quote:Based on the chart that you provided in an earlier post, you can make some adjustments. 95% of the time, your mom's pressure is at or below 12.4. Her max pressure is at 13.4. 

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2018, 10:51 PM)bonjour Wrote: Slight correction to the above

Quote:Based on the chart that you provided in an earlier post, you can make some adjustments. 95% of the time, your mom's pressure is at or below 12.4. Her max pressure is at 13.4. 

Fred

Smile Thanks
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2018, 10:26 PM)JesseLee Wrote: Based on the chart that you provided in an earlier post, you can make some adjustments. 95% of the time, your mom's pressure is at 12.4. Her max pressure is at 13.4. Her current settings are at 4-20 and that is a really broad range. Since she is not experiencing any significant central apnea, I would suggest that you set your min pressure at 8 and max pressure at 15. Although the machine is doing a good job at keeping her AHI low, these new settings may help to keep pressure rises from interrupting her sleep. Also, you may adjust EPR to a lower setting to see if the reduction in pressure change helps as well. It's all about getting her comfortable.

Ramp can be used if she feels uncomfortable with higher starting pressure. If you want to use ramp manually to see if it helps her, you might try a starting pressure of 5 for 5 minutes. If she doesn't feel like she's getting enough air, you may want to increase the ramp start pressure or disable ramp by turning ramp off.

If you haven't done so, there is a link at the top of this page "CPAP Setup Manuals". Request a copy of the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset clinician manual for instructions on how to make adjustments in therapy settings.

Hang in there, gonna get this worked out.

Also, when you make adjustments to the settings, it is wise to let your mom use those settings for at least a few days. All changes take some getting used to, and making a lot of changes like you have done recently need to be tried out for a little while. Your mom will never get used to anything if big changes are made often.

thanks Jesse again for the explanation. 
Currently Ramp is auto. EPR is full time.

1. So currently she has hard time to fall into sleep. based on the manual: When Ramp Time is set to Auto, the device will detect sleep onset and then gradually increase from the start pressure to the minimum treatment pressure at a rate of 1 cm H2O (1 hPa) per minute. However, if sleep onset is not detected, the device will reach the target pressure within 30 minutes.
Do you think I should leave ramp to auto or set it to the max to 45 mins?

2. I still not so clear about the EPR. with higher EPR, isn't it will use least amount of effort to exhale for patient, and should be the best comfort level?

3. Since she has sleep onset insomnia issue, she feels worse if she wear the mask and can't fall into sleep, does preventing her use the device actively. I don't know how to solve this problem.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 325 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 664 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 17,055 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 1,042 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 758 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 447 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 706 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.