Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to adjust the full mask usage
RE: How to adjust the full mask usage
Best thing she can do is start wearing it during the day while shes's awake. The more time wearing the mask the easier it's going to be to adjust to it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2018, 04:54 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Best thing she can do is start wearing it during the day while shes's awake. The more time wearing the mask the easier it's going to be to adjust to it.

Luckydxx,

Walla Walla has given some excellent advice. Get your mom to watch TV or read while she is using her machine. This will help her to become accustomed to the mask and will be less of a shock when she puts the mask on before she sleeps.

EPR is an excellent comfort feature for your mom. To better help you understand EPR, I suggest that you put the mask on and use the different settings. Try the EPR on yourself at the different levels. This may help you understand better as you may be able to help her understand. 

You may try the machine yourself to get a better understanding of ramp. You being awake may be able to figure out some of the settings you feel comfortable with and then use the new experience to help her understand so that you can communicate more effectively about what works and what doesn't work. 

As for her sleep onset insomnia, getting accustomed to the machine and mask is the best that you can help her with. It's confusing and complicated stuff. Taking away some mystery may help both of you to get through this tough time in therapy. 

Remember not to make too many changes and try the settings for a few days. Hang in there and keep us informed on what settings you change and what she likes and doesn't like. 

Hang in there!
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2018, 05:18 PM)JesseLee Wrote:
(03-26-2018, 04:54 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Best thing she can do is start wearing it during the day while shes's awake. The more time wearing the mask the easier it's going to be to adjust to it.

Luckydxx,

Walla Walla has given some excellent advice. Get your mom to watch TV or read while she is using her machine. This will help her to become accustomed to the mask and will be less of a shock when she puts the mask on before she sleeps.

EPR is an excellent comfort feature for your mom. To better help you understand EPR, I suggest that you put the mask on and use the different settings. Try the EPR on yourself at the different levels. This may help you understand better as you may be able to help her understand. 

You may try the machine yourself to get a better understanding of ramp. You being awake may be able to figure out some of the settings you feel comfortable with and then use the new experience to help her understand so that you can communicate more effectively about what works and what doesn't work. 

As for her sleep onset insomnia, getting accustomed to the machine and mask is the best that you can help her with. It's confusing and complicated stuff. Taking away some mystery may help both of you to get through this tough time in therapy. 

Remember not to make too many changes and try the settings for a few days. Hang in there and keep us informed on what settings you change and what she likes and doesn't like. 

Hang in there!

Hi Jesse or anyone, as my mom still depends on the sleeping pill to get her sleep, which i understand should avoid totally. I noticed the AHI is higher than 5 for the nights. I thought the CPAP should help her to keep the number below 5 per hour. So does the machine is helpful? I am little confused. 

thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
It could be an increase in clear/central apnea which can be caused by some sleep medications. Cpap can't doing anything to reduce clear/central apnea. Of course I can't tell if that's whats happening without a breakdown of the apnea types.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
In order to give you better advice about the type of apnea your mom is having, I encourage you to download Sleepyhead and post charts. The link to download Sleepyhead (free software) is at the bottom of this post. You will need to organize the charts as well and there is a link to that bellow too.
Without seeing the charts, we have no way to give advice without guessing about your moms central or complex apnea. Sleepyhead will give the best information and we will be able to get more detail about leaks as well.

Good to hear that you are still trying to help your mom get used to this therapy. Keep hanging in there, will keep trying to help.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2018, 08:38 AM)JesseLee Wrote: In order to give you better advice about the type of apnea your mom is having, I encourage you to download Sleepyhead and post charts. The link to download Sleepyhead (free software) is at the bottom of this post. You will need to organize the charts as well and there is a link to that bellow too.
Without seeing the charts, we have no way to give advice without guessing about your moms central or complex apnea. Sleepyhead will give the best information and we will be able to get more detail about leaks as well.

Good to hear that you are still trying to help your mom get used to this therapy. Keep hanging in there, will keep trying to help.

Yes i will the post the chart. But the sleepyhead data show each day, not a summary, how am i able to let you see multiple days?
Post Reply Post Reply
You can post more than one daily chart or you can post the Overview chart. The daily is preferred due to the detail.
Download SleepyHead
Posting Charts
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Yes i will the post the chart. But the sleepyhead data show each day, not a summary, how am i able to let you see multiple days?

In the top left of the screen there is a set of tabs you can choose from; Welcome, Statistics, Daily, Overview,... The Statistics tab gives you a summary of numbers of various time periods. The Overview does similar but graphically. On it you can set the time period that you want displayed.

The Daily tab provides the most useful data display to determine pressure settings for optimization.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2018, 06:43 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: You can post more than one daily chart or you can post the Overview chart. The daily is preferred due to the detail.

(04-01-2018, 08:24 AM)Ron AKA Wrote:
Quote:Yes i will the post the chart. But the sleepyhead data show each day, not a summary, how am i able to let you see multiple days?

In the top left of the screen there is a set of tabs you can choose from; Welcome, Statistics, Daily, Overview,... The Statistics tab gives you a summary of numbers of various time periods. The Overview does similar but graphically. On it you can set the time period that you want displayed.

The Daily tab provides the most useful data display to determine pressure settings for optimization.

Excellent advice. Ditto the above.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-01-2018, 08:46 AM)JesseLee Wrote:
(04-01-2018, 06:43 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: You can post more than one daily chart or you can post the Overview chart. The daily is preferred due to the detail.

(04-01-2018, 08:24 AM)Ron AKA Wrote:

Excellent advice. Ditto the above.

Hi all the experts,

please take a look the charts. These are past week my mom's report with some AHI higher than normal 5. I try to identity how much percent caused by Central Apnea, or anything can help API under control.As on the left side of chart i don't know which category it is. please advice. Thank you so much again.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 514 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [News] Fisher and Paykel Evora Full SarcasticDave94 155 16,588 03-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 895 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 696 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 396 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  Lowenstein Prisma 20A - how can I work out energy usage for camping? JamesD0079 4 625 02-15-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 446 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.