Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to break the snooze cycle?
How to break the snooze cycle?
My whole life as far as I can remember, I have been one of those people who sets the alarm half an hour early, then hits the snooze button 3 or 4 times to get that extra little bit of sleep. I don't think I have ever jumped out of bed on my first alarm in my life.

I've been using Cpap for just over two years now and have never slept a night without cpap since the night I did my sleep study with a machine. It made me feel so much better that I hired a machine that day.

I'm really interested to know if anyone else has so much trouble waking up to an alarm in the morning? Also, is there anyone that has been able to change this?

I get between 8 and 9 hours sleep a night and my data shows really good results from my cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to break the snooze cycle?
Sounds like a case of: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
It sounds like your waking procedure is just you being you. i.e. -- we are all unique.
You're doing great on CPAP.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Ronni. Have you ever tried a "smart alarm"? This is usually an app on your phone, but I think you can also buy a separate alarm clock for the purpose. They monitor when you are in a light stage of sleep and wake you then. (I think they make a guess by the sounds you're making.) You give the alarm a time, say 6:30 am, and it will wake you in your lightest stage of sleep between 6 and 6:30 am, or something along those lines.

I started having problems waking up to an alarm after I developed fibromyalgia and my sleep became very disturbed. Over time I developed a huge dread of having an alarm intrude into my sleep, because it would usually wake me from very deep sleep and I'd feel like death warmed over.

I have used a smart alarm app since last year when I discovered that they existed. I'd say that it's easier to wake up with one than with a regular alarm.

I've also had some success with an alarm that starts off very soft and gets louder gradually. I usually use a song that I like as the alarm.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2016, 05:49 AM)Ronni.p Wrote: My whole life as far as I can remember, I have been one of those people who sets the alarm half an hour early, then hits the snooze button 3 or 4 times to get that extra little bit of sleep. I don't think I have ever jumped out of bed on my first alarm in my life.
This is a habit. That's all it is---a habit.

If this habit doesn't interfere with your life, there's no real need to break the habit.

If the habit is causing you some kind of distress OR if you just want to break the habit because you just want to break it, the best way of breaking it is to just force yourself to get up the first time the alarm goes off for about 7-10 days in a row. By then, the habit will probably be broken and you won't be constantly hitting the snooze button any more.

Note that SOME people may find it easier to force themselves to get up on that first alarm if the alarm is NOT set a half an hour earlier than they plan on getting up. So that's another thing you can do if you decide that you really need or want to break this habit.

Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't put the alarm right next to you, just make sure you don't create a new habit of sleeping through your alarm.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I was about 16, my mother witnessed me get up out of bed, walk across the room, turn off the alarm clock and go back to bed. I recall nothing of this. Two hours later work phoned... I still hate getting out of bed decades later.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumb tacks on the floor will stop that, just kidding of course. I have also just slept right through the alarm.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thumb tacks... hmmm.... I wonder... Big Grin

Seriously though, robysue is right. I have a hard time getting out of bed most mornings, but I have a 7 AM meeting once a week that I have no trouble getting up for. It is attitude and desire and habit. Mostly I desire to lie in a warm, soft bed.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Importance of Spont Cycle % SingleH 10 601 01-14-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Did I break my P10? ttrani01 3 586 04-07-2023, 11:34 AM
Last Post: ttrani01
Video Little deep sleep based on sleep cycle Mouchet 3 1,390 04-02-2023, 11:09 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  ResMed AirCurve Trigger/Cycle brainf0g 17 8,153 02-20-2023, 01:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  what is this in expiratory cycle? koy23 7 786 01-05-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: koy23
  resmed vauto spontaneous cycle sheepless 3 2,771 12-26-2022, 12:33 AM
Last Post: StuartC
  Does your REM get longer each sleep cycle? fishfinderG 2 710 10-29-2022, 10:34 PM
Last Post: B1Sailor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.