Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to change DMEs
How to change DMEs
My DME is 45 miles away.

Also not impressed with them, so changing would be like drawing all new cards to a weak hand.

There are closer ones. How do I manage a change?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to change DMEs
Preferably you start by obtaining a hard copy of your Rx from your sleep doc (etc.). You can work without this as long as your doctor is responsive and cooperative though. (I use multiple DMEs based on their behavior and have never had a copy of my Rx.)

If you don't have a copy of the Rx then most DMEs will just call the doctor on your behalf and get the Rx fax. (No real big deal but you will hear advice that you MUST have the Rx in hand -- it might be useful but is usually not essential.)

Then you might do well to call your insurance company to find out their ACTUAL RULES for what you are obtaining, and to ensure you are switching to a new DME that is fully supported by your insurance (e.g., is "in network".)

That's pretty much it -- call the new DME; tell them what you want; tell them who your doctor is (or fax the Rx); tell them who your insurance is; then have them check to make sure you are covered and give you a price on SPECIFIC EQUIPMENT.

My insurance company (Aetna) gave me the phone number of a fully supported mail order DME when I had a local problem. I use them for some supplies and the local one for other supplies when they can get it faster and as cheaply.

The main trick is to understand that YOU ARE THE CUSTOMER (along with your insurance company when they are helping pay the bill) and you have the right to take your business elsewhere.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
You will also need a copy of your sleep study. You'll need to obtain that from the doctor. Just tell them you are switching DMEs and to send it to you. Then make a copy and keep one for yourself.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Great response, guys. thx
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, check and see if it is too late to return the equipment that you got from the DME you want to replace. I changed DME's from crapria and I made sure they took their equipment back and got new equipment from my new DME. I just could not take anymore of crapria and their mistakes. Ten months later, crapria still has not paid my insurance company back for items they were paid for that I DID not receive or that I returned and they also sent me a bill saying I owed them money that I did not owe! They were so bad that I went out of network; I have a better machine and yea, the new DME makes mistakes too but they fix them and that is the difference.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,417 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,701 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 317 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn
  [Symptoms] Recent Symptom - Settings Change? MamaK55 1 164 02-10-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 323 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Pressure max/min clarification and change I made richapple 5 365 01-28-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: richapple
  EPR Change to Help With Flow Limits? upsman 4 362 01-22-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: upsman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.