Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to change the Expiratory Pressure Relief setting on a Phillips Dream Station.
Question 
How to change the Expiratory Pressure Relief setting on a Phillips Dream Station.
Hello all,

Just got my first CPAP machine.  Phillips DreamStation.  Tried it last night and did not get to sleep all night.  So much for sleep apnea.  Ha!  
I guess I will have to get used to it.  My biggest problem was on exhaling.  I got too much resistance upon exhaling which irritated me all night.  I am on level 5 for pressure.  

How can I lower the Expiratory Pressure Relief setting on a Phillips Dream Station?   I hope it is easy to do.  I think things will go much better if I did not spend a lot of energy exhaling into a large counter air pressure.  

Can I do this myself or should I call the sleep doctor and tell him about it.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Are there any youtube videos or written instructions to change this setting?  

Thanks,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to change the Expiratory Pressure Relief setting on a Phillips Dream Station.
Hi R Dillinger,
You can order a Clinicians manual for your machine here:

https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

In the meantime, yes...you can change the setting or enable it if need be.  
Phillips Respironics uses the term Flex for their Expiatory Relief Pressure.

You can select OFF, C-Flex, or C-Flex+ (if in CPAP or CPAP-Check mode).
You can select OFF, C-Flex, or A-Flex (if in Auto-CPAP or Auto-Trial mode).

You can modify the Flex setting (1, 2 or 3) if you enabled Flex.
The setting of “1” provides a small amount of pressure relief, with higher numbers providing additional relief.

In your case, with a pressure of 5, this feature won’t be much of an advantage to you.  The machine can go no lower than 4.
So, it may be beneficial to raise your pressure to 6cm, set Flex to 2. This would be an expiratory pressure relief to aprox. 4cm.
Or, try a setting of 7cm, Flex set to 2, which would drop expiratory pressure to approx. 5cm.  

In order to get used to the feel of pressure, try using your machine while reading or watching TV.  
You will soon get used to the feel of pressure if your mind is on something else.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to change the Expiratory Pressure Relief setting on a Phillips Dream Station.
I agree with Opalrose. A higher CPAP pressure would have more possibility of providing lower exhale pressure than the pressure of 4 that you are set at. It seems very unusual for anyone to be prescribed such a low fixed pressure, and makes me wonder if you problem is really obstructive apnea. It might be interesting to see the test results.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi OpalRose

My machine is set to go from 4 to 7 over time I believe.  I finally found the FLEX setting and set it at three.  I got 4 hours of sleep from the machine last night which is better than no sleep I got last night.  

Yesterday I got another nose cuff which worked well for me.  However; my mouth opened several times since I am wearing a nose only mask.  I assume this happens when my machine gets to the 7 level of pressure.  I called my clinician and he said to give it a few more weeks.  If I keep opening my mouth, I will need a chin strap or full face mask which I do not want.  

Where can I buy a chin strap now if I wanted it?  

Thanks for the URL on the manual.  That will help.  

Thanks    

R Dillinger

Thanks Sleeprider, 

I think my doctor has it adjusted starting at 4 and goes to 7 over 40 minutes.  I believe at the higher pressures, my mouth starts to open and it wakes me up.  

Thanks

R Dillinger
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think a Flex setting of 3 works well for most users, and can destabilize the airway leading to more events. I would back that off to 1 or 2. This does not work like Resmed EPR. If you machine is set to move from 4 to 7 cm pressure, that sounds like ramp. I recommend you try using the machine with ramp off and see if the pressure is a problem or not for starting out. Using your (low) therapy pressure right from the start can help you with leaks, and a pressure of 4 is just too low for most of us to feel comfortable. Do you sense not getting enough air when you first start your night?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sleeprider

Thank you for the tips.  I will try and experiment with them.  I'll back off the FLEX and try with the ramp off.

Thanks again.      Thanks 

R Dillinger
Post Reply Post Reply
For me, the low pressure of 4 would cause me to mouth breath with a nasal mask. Such a low pressure would make me (even subconsciously) feel air-starved.

I felt that way with a min/fixed pressure of 5. My sleep "doctor" refused to change it, since it "effectively" treated my apnea. (So I made the changes myself.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Hydrangea. I appreciate your input.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2019, 11:22 AM)R Dillinger Wrote: Thanks Hydrangea.  I appreciate your input.

No problem!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 44 Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,456 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 160 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 162 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 131 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [CPAP] Prisma 20A - Change of machine and regression elliott.981. 17 1,717 03-21-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,207 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.