Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to clean Simplus FFM
How to clean Simplus FFM
We were told by one person to wash the cushion in Dawn. Does this sound right? How do you clean your mask?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to clean Simplus FFM
I use Dawn. I do think it is important to not use hot water since that will hasten the deterioration of the mask. I keep the water just slightly above body temperature so it barely feels warm. I rinse all the soap off with cool water and dab all surfaces dry so there is no residue left from water spots. I wash mine daily but not the headgear.

I haven't established a schedule for the headgear yet but I think when I do it won't involve fully immersing it but merely surface wiping it with a damp soapy cloth and then wiping it a couple of swipes with a damp cloth to get all the soap off.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2014, 07:21 AM)MastiffMom Wrote: We were told by one person to wash the cushion in Dawn. Does this sound right? How do you clean your mask?

Thanks!

Hi MastiffMom,
I was using Dawn, but switched to J&J Baby Shampoo. I was getting a reddened area around my nose, also some white bumps. Seems lessened since I switched away from Dawn.

In the morning, I make a small container of warm water in the kitchen sink, drizzle some Baby shampoo in, mix it up, dunk the cushion in and agitate it for a minute. Then I leave it for a few minutes, come back and rub my fingers all over it, esp inside, where it may feel more slippery from drool. Then rinse thoroughly, shake mostly dry, and leave to air-dry till nighttime.

Hope this helps.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
For everything but foam or fabric mask parts, I use the hottest tap water I can get and also wash in the dishwasher with the hottest cycle I can get.

I've had good life out of my Respironics ComfortGel, ComfortGel Blue, and Swift FX mask parts for 10 years now.

The earlier ComfortGel masks had a fitting for the headgear that tended to crack, but I don't think that had to do with the dishwashing. They fixed that design flaw several years ago.

ResMed specifically says not to wash in the dishwasher. I'm not sure about other manufacturers.

When I've gotten used masks, I've dropped the plastic mask parts into a pot of water that had just been boiled, but I turned the heat off first.

There are links to the ResMed hospital sanitation procedures in my signature line.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2014, 11:16 PM)becker44a Wrote: I was using Dawn, but switched to J&J Baby Shampoo.
I follow the same routine that becker44a describes except I use the Walmart store brand baby wash. Once a week I add a little vinegar and wash everything; tube, mask and harness.

Post Reply Post Reply
I was told by an F&P rep to wash the mask in mild detergent using warm (NOT hot) water and to rinse it thoroughly and hang it up to dry somewhere...like the bathroom. I also pass a drop of detergent with warm water through the hose once a week.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, That the way I do it Stroppy but I go one further and dab all the water drops off before quitting. I figure if I keep leaving them on there to dry I'll get a mineral buildup about the size of Teddy Roosevelt on Mt. Rushmore...well perhaps not that big... but you know what I'm sayin'..maybe the size of that diamond I first gave Ms. Surferdude years ago...
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2014, 01:33 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: Yep, That the way I do it Stroppy but I go one further and dab all the water drops off before quitting. I figure if I keep leaving them on there to dry I'll get a mineral buildup about the size of Teddy Roosevelt on Mt. Rushmore...well perhaps not that big... but you know what I'm sayin'..maybe the size of that diamond I first gave Ms. Surferdude years ago...

Must have been some diamond...LOL!

I'm lucky in that Melbourne tap water is probably the purest water you'll find on earth. Very low sodium and mineral levels.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2014, 07:21 AM)MastiffMom Wrote: We were told by one person to wash the cushion in Dawn........

I would think you could wash it in the evening. Or at noon for that matter. I don't know that you need to do it so early in the day.

Post Reply Post Reply
I just use a mask wipe each morning, no problems yet { 7 months }
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you take out the Tube Outlet Connector in the Airsense 11 to clean? dharma2255 7 175 04-16-2024, 10:03 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Airsense 10 Clean And Recondition scowell 5 492 01-14-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,372 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Suggestions on how to clean a Resmed S10 motor? texquad 5 962 09-01-2023, 02:24 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Advice on how to clean F20 Airtouch? raptosnorus 4 752 06-30-2023, 08:23 PM
Last Post: snorin2
  [Equipment] Many simplus cushion hisses asm01asm 2 565 06-18-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Self confessed CPAP hater trying CPAP again. How do you clean your CPAP? dorlow 10 1,079 03-07-2023, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.