Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to clean an odor from a AirTouch F20 cushion
How to clean an odor from a AirTouch F20 cushion
I use the Resmed f20 AirTouch.  I have a problem that after using it a while the memory foam has a bad odor, maybe from bacteria.  
I clean it daily with a wipe but the cushion I am presently using is less than two weeks old and has developed this odor.  Has anyone found what works to remove this odor or stop it from occurring?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to clean an odor from a AirTouch F20 cushion
I can suggest two possible remedies.

Simplest is to mix approximately one heaping tablespoon of baking soda in about three cups of water and immersing the item over-night, or as soon as you can in the morning.  After at least a couple of hours, including the odd swish to get fresh concentrations of the baking soda solution mixed into the interstices and voids of the product, rinse it thoroughly under warm, not hot, water for several minutes, squeezing or shaping...whatever seems to be reasonable to get it clear and ready to use as soon as it dries.

Or, go to a u-brew-it retailer and purchase a sachet/bag of either sodium or potassium metabisulphite. It's a white crystal that looks like fine table salt.  It will cost you $3 for perhaps one cup of the stuff.  You mix one heaping tsp of it into one liter/qt of water, and let it stand for about ten minutes.  Then, immerse the object in the solution and let that soak.  Squeeze a few times to get the solution worked into the innards.  I'm not really positive what the item is or looks like, but if it is a textile or foamy, swish or squeeze a number of times to get fresh solution into the inner reaches of the material.

Rinse well under running water, or soak in fresh water.  Let it dry thoroughly, several hours, and then use.  

I would get used to doing this procedure about once every two weeks.  Just cuz...
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much, will let you know how it goes!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm surprised at the suggestion to get it wet. When I tried to gently wash the memory foam on my F20 Air Touch, the memory foam cracked in multiple places.

I've experienced bad odor a couple times on my F20 AirTouch. Sometimes letting it sit out throughout the day seems to help. Or sometimes I figure I'm ready to toss it (mine only last a month).
Post Reply Post Reply
I hope cleaning it with baking soda helps.  Maybe then it will last more than a month.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had thought about trying the AirTouch F20, but I'd have to get way more than a month or two of service from it.  Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2019, 02:23 AM)Hydrangea Wrote: I'm surprised at the suggestion to get it wet. When I tried to gently wash the memory foam on my F20 Air Touch, the memory foam cracked in multiple places.

I have my suspicions about the quality of any foam product that would suffer from the occasional exposure to water.  I wonder if it had already been stored improperly or exposed to something it shouldn't have been, either before 'tooling' or after, and you only found out when yours got wet.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mesenteria just to let you know I followed your advice and used baking soda and rinsed mask well yesterday.Checked it today and it is complete dry and smells new and the shape is not deformed at all.  
Never tried to wet the cushion before but your procedure worked great!
I had the cushion dry in the area I do my laundry which gets pretty warm and that helped dry it completely.  
Thanks for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
You are welcome.  I'm very pleased to see that it worked for you.  Now that you have this remedy, it can be added to the routine hose and mask cleaning you do once a week or whatever, hopefully before it becomes objectionable again...which it is sure to do.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry AirTouch N20 - digs into cheek - any solutions? Lilaq88 2 611 03-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Valtor
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 501 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  AirTouch F20 mask date code? Labromaniac 4 425 02-14-2024, 12:34 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 356 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33
  Airsense 10 Clean And Recondition scowell 5 451 01-14-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.