Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to clean humidifier tank
Thumbsup 
How to clean humidifier tank
I have the ResMed S9 Escape and need to know what to clean the tank/reservoir with. I use mainly distilled water but over time there has been a reddish buildup on the bottom of the tank, similar to rust stains that iron-rich water leaves on things.

Thanks, Jim
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to clean humidifier tank
jward52...when you say ""over time"",,what kind of time are you talking about? I think that a weekly clean out with a little soap and water, then air dried should be adequate to keep the tank clean and healthy..Obviously there should not be any rust looking residue if cleaned regularly. Maybe you have been using tap water too much.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jward52, First, WELCOME! to the forum.! I just use either baby shampoo or a LITTLE dishsoap in warm water once a week to clean mine. Hang in there for more suggestions. Therre are plenty of suggestions regarding cleaning CPAP parts in other threads on this board that you might find helpful as well.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used liquid dish washing detergent and the foaming anti-bacterial hand soap but neither seems to do the job. I use the foaming soap to clean the tube along with nearly scalding hot water.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use baby shampoo once a week also I use only distilled water and about every 4 or 5 weeks I use control 111 to disinfectant it the mask and tub.
Post Reply Post Reply
How long have you had the tank? It sounds like you are doing a good cleaning job.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
I have been using the cpap about a year and a half. It's inconvenient to call my doc and get a script just to take the machine back to the hospital's med shop for adjustment, so finding the adjustment info here was great. I have bumped up the pressure to 12 from 9. I think it was originally set at 15 which kept blowing the mask away from my skin and keeping me awake.

Now my wife says I'm snoring - imagine that, with a cpap on and working - so I bumped the pressure up a bit and cut the ramp time down a bit too. I was just a little bit concerned about keeping the tank clean since I have had sinus problems for decades and didn't want anything adding to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would bet you will need more than soap and water to get rid of that deposit, if it is rust. Rust remover may be needed and perhaps a little scrubing. To do that you will probably need to take the tub apart. However, I am assuming you have the tub that isn't meant to be taken apart. But it can be taken apart if you follow these instructions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scg8Nc9LkRo

For about $36 at Supply #1, you can replace the tub with a dishwasher safe version that is more sturdy and can be easily opened and cleaned and will last a lot longer than the regular tub that usually comes with Resmed's machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, get a new tub. And get the take apart one!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply and link, BabyDoc, that tank in the video is exactly what I have.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you take out the Tube Outlet Connector in the Airsense 11 to clean? dharma2255 6 127 8 hours ago
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 90 Yesterday, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,075 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 348 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 246 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 888 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 502 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.