Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to clean humidifier tank
RE: How to clean humidifier tank
jward,

What type of water to use in the humifier tank has been the topic of much conversation and differing opinions. I won't go there.

What I can say is the practice of topping of the tank every night is bad. No matter how pure a water you use, it has some contaminants. As the water evaporates the contaminants are left behind. It may take months, but you will, eventually, either get scale, stains, or bacteria colonies.

Common airborne bacteria colonies form a biofilm that is pinkish red. This is very tough stuff. You can kill the bacteria with a biocide (like Control III), but the stain will stay.

So, if you're topping off your tub only, STOP. Whatever kind of water you use, drain it and refill it daily. If you are already draining it frequently and using distilled water as you state, it's just time for a new tub.

Okay, I'm now ready for everyone's posts who top off their tanks and have never had any problem. If we didn't disagree on some things, it really wouldn't be a discussion.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2012, 10:29 AM)jward52 Wrote: I have the ResMed S9 Escape and need to know what to clean the tank/reservoir with. I use mainly distilled water but over time there has been a reddish buildup on the bottom of the tank, similar to rust stains that iron-rich water leaves on things.

Thanks, Jim
How long you had this machine? Its a basic machine only good for how many hours you,re using the machine each night. Its doesn't record any efficacy data such as AHI or leak and doesn't have the same features as S9 AutoSet or S9 Elite.
Basically its a brick ...Its No help to you or your doctor in monitoring hows the therapy is working for you.
Try to use distilled water. Its recommended to wash the tank in warm soapy water and in solution of one-part vinegar to ten-parts of water if you notice any deposits build-ups in the water tank. Make sure the tank don,t run out of water and run on empty.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jim,

I wash my ResMed S9 Auto every morning using a mild washing up liquid (Ecover, which is based on plant products) and a tooth brush on the edges & bits that stick out (if you see what I mean).

It seems to work.

I use distilled water except - when on holiday (because I can't get it then) when I use bottled mineral water.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2012, 02:52 PM)jdireton Wrote: Okay, I'm now ready for everyone's posts who top off their tanks and have never had any problem. If we didn't disagree on some things, it really wouldn't be a discussion.

I top mine off every night and wash once a week! I've never had a problem!....but you are correct, it is a really bad habit and I need to improve on this! I am happy that my tank comes apart though. It does make cleaning easy as can be. I know I can throw this in the dishwasher, but the way I tell if the dishwasher has been run (we forget to turn the sign around sometimes...and by we I don't mean me...) is to pick up a glass and smell it. If I smell that rinse agent I know they are clean. I don't want to smell that rinse agent all night! Personal preference!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2012, 02:52 PM)jdireton Wrote: Okay, I'm now ready for everyone's posts who top off their tanks and have never had any problem. If we didn't disagree on some things, it really wouldn't be a discussion.
I use tap water, refill every night, never had problems with deposits builds-ups
I wash the tank and the hose in a soapy warm water (fortnightly), rinse in a hot water and hook the hose to the kitchen hot water mixer tap to flush it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use baby shampoo once a week also I use only distilled water and about every 4 or 5 weeks I use control 111 to disinfectant it the mask and tub.

tub=tank i cant type very good as one can see

Post Reply Post Reply
I use vinegar to clean my tank...once a week. That is what the instructions for me Resmed S9 Elite says to use. I fill it about 1/2 full with water and the other half with vinegar, and let it sit an hour or so, then rinse with water and let air dry.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2012, 10:29 AM)jward52 Wrote: I use mainly distilled water but over time there has been a reddish buildup on the bottom of the tank, similar to rust stains that iron-rich water leaves on things.

It sounds like you need to use only distilled water, as your tap water is high in iron. The Medicare replacement schedule for tanks calls for a new one every six months.

Have you tried soaking it in vinegar?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Gross 
(08-29-2012, 10:29 AM)jward52 Wrote: I have the ResMed S9 Escape and need to know what to clean the tank/reservoir with. I use mainly distilled water but over time there has been a reddish buildup on the bottom of the tank, similar to rust stains that iron-rich water leaves on things.

Thanks, Jim

OH MY! The reddish/brown deposits are not good. Get them cleaned out A.S.A.P. I was told that it is safe to clean the tank on the top help of the dishwasher. I use the gentle cycle setting but the regular (normal) cycle is supposed to be just fine. Years ago, in the older model reservoir, I had to get a new one to get rid of that nasty fungus or bacteria or combination thereof. Now it is just a weekly of biweekly dishwasher treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks, Jim

Hi,
please be kind to me, this is my first post.
I clean my tanks- previously ResMed S8 Auto -, now S9 Auto, with 2 denture cleaning tablets.
I insert 2 tablets, fill the tank with luke warm water and leave for about 3 hours, then rinse out with luke warm water.
Next, fill again with luke warm water half full, add two teaspoons of rice and shake well, rinse again well and use.
For what it is worth, I use Tank water only.
So far, it worked fine for me.
Cheers, Werner
(fighting my use-by date!):grin:
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 759 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 445 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 352 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Airsense 10 Clean And Recondition scowell 5 448 01-14-2024, 08:32 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,288 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,160 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54
  AirMini with Dreamstation Go humidifier chwang733 0 319 12-12-2023, 03:53 PM
Last Post: chwang733

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.