Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to clean humidifier tank
RE: How to clean humidifier tank
Disassemble the tank, wash in the dishwasher once a week or so. I use my longest, hottest wash cycle, extra rinse, regular dishwashing detergent, no dishes. I got a spare tank and let the cleaned one dry for a week when I use the other tank.

I also disassemble and wash my mask at the same time without the headgear. I would not wash a mask with foam parts this way. I have a spare mask and let it sit dry for a week as well.

I've done it this way since 2004. The tanks stay squeaky clean, and none of my tanks seem any worse for the wear. My masks eventually get a little grungy looking, but I probably get a couple of years before I need to replace the cushions on my ComfortGel masks.

You can get the ResMed cleanable tanks online for less than $40. I would expect them to last several years.

Many of us who use distilled water tend to top them off every morning with no obvious problems. I do disassemble and clean it weekly.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have split this thread.

The discussion of the ozone cleaner is in its own thread now. Which I also closed. Anyone is welcome to start another one as long as it remains civil.

Any other posts concerning the ozone cleaner in this thread will be deleted.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Half fill tank with 50/50 per cent white vinegar and clear water. Shake vigoursly,. Rinse out with clear water.
Post Reply Post Reply
The red buildup you see in your humidifier tank is not rust. It is mold and you should clean the tank thoroughly immediately. You do not want mold spores being pushed into your lungs by your CPAP. Use strictly distilled water and washout and dry the tank regularly--weekly is best.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you using distilled water?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi hsamuels,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
My insurance (Medicare Supplemental Plan + private insurance) allows me a new humidifier chamber every six months.
Post Reply Post Reply
I run distilled water in mine and do a clorox wipe wiping and rinse every couple of days (when I have to refill the tank). It also goes in the top rack of the dish washer every so often. I get a new tank every six months, so the old one will get a good cleaning, and put in reserve as a backup. I have never seen the mold in the tank, but in my old system, I would have the calcium buildup from using bottled water. Only use bottled water now when I take my system on the road.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2012, 02:21 PM)jward52 Wrote: I have bumped up the pressure to 12 from 9. I think it was originally set at 15 which kept blowing the mask away from my skin and keeping me awake.
My doctor said (my) going above 11 can cause the brain to react and start cns apnea. Maybe talk with a medical professional before blowing yourself up???

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2013, 12:37 PM)psimpson130 Wrote: I run distilled water in mine and do a clorox wipe wiping and rinse every couple of days (when I have to refill the tank). It also goes in the top rack of the dish washer every so often. I get a new tank every six months, so the old one will get a good cleaning, and put in reserve as a backup. I have never seen the mold in the tank, but in my old system, I would have the calcium buildup from using bottled water. Only use bottled water now when I take my system on the road.
Calcium, Lime, and Rust can be dealt with using a single drop of CLR and warm water, maybe a second drop and then wash and rinse several times. Use at your own risk. I am not thrilled with clorox or any chlorine bleach, but if I did, I would wash and rinse several times. Whatever you use, wash it out or you will be breathing it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you take out the Tube Outlet Connector in the Airsense 11 to clean? dharma2255 7 170 04-16-2024, 10:03 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 101 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,082 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 353 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 254 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 903 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 508 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.