Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to decide which machine to buy?
How to decide which machine to buy?
So I know someone who is trying to decide which machine to buy (out of pocket).  Resmed Autoset 10. Or Resmed Autoset 10 For Her.  Or Phillips Respironics DreamStation Auto.

How does one decide between the two/three?  

I'd lean toward Autoset since it has a more agressive algorithm.  Plus, is it worth the chance of getting a noisy DreamStation?  Is the For Her worth the splurge, for the extra breathing support?

What do you think?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to decide which machine to buy?
I like the ResMed 10 Autoset or the for her.
As you stated a more aggressive algorithm than the Phillips auto though the Philips is a bit cheaper if that is a concern.
In either case the heated hose and humidifier.

Current acceptable in Production Machines (ResMed and Philips Respironics, the 2 most popular manufactures)
(best choice) indicates a full data capable machine that has Sleepyhead software capability and an Auto Mode. These are in general the best available machines

ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (best choice) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP)
ResMed AirSense™ 10 Elite CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier (37205) (E0601) (Fixed CPAP)
ResMed AirCurve 10, all models
ResMed AirCurve™ 10 VAuto BiLevel Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier (37211) (E0601, E0562) (best choice) (Fixed CPAP, BiLevel S, VAuto (Auto-BiLevel))
ResMed AirCurve™ 10 ASV BiLevel Machine w/HumidAir™ Humidifier (E0471) (best choice) (Fixed CPAP, ASV, ASV Auto)
Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine (DSX500x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom, bricks look the same) (Fixed CPAP, Auto CPAP) (best choice)
Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP Pro (DSX400x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Fixed CPAP)
Philips Respironics DreamStation BiPAP Pro (DSX600x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Fixed CPAP, Fixed BiPAP)
Philips Respironics DreamStation BiPAP Auto Machine (DSX700x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Fixed CPAP, Fixed BiPAP, Auto BiPAP) (best choice)

Current Machines to Avoid

ResMed AirStart™ 10 CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier (all models, 37201) (Lack of full data capability)
ResMed AirSense™ 10 CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ (37015, 37203) (Lack of full data capability)
Philips Respironics DreamStation CPAP (DSX200x11) (Not all DreamStation Models, Check SN on bottom) (Lack of full data capability)
Note: These are current machines, there are older models that have full data capability that are available via secondary markets if budget is an issue. Please inquire on the forum and your questions will be answered.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed Aircurve ASV machine is only the best machine for resolving central apneas. If you have obstructive apnea thee are better machines that cost a lot less like the Aircurve Vauto which can e set-up to be used as any kind of machine except one that has a backup rate for central apneas.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, guys.

Centrals don't seem to be a factor.
Post Reply Post Reply
Recently, I was toying around with the idea of selling off my Dreamstation to get Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset With SlimLine Tubing (37207) from Amazon. The difference in price is about $200 but I was prepared to pay the extra. This is because recently, I saw a video showing Resmed with its more aggressive algorithm, was able to treat apnea events more efficiently when compare side by side with Dreamstation. Both units were set a default pressure of 4-20. The results was something like 2 apnea events for the Resmed vs 13 events for the Dreamstation.

Subsequently, I posted my Dreamstation online and within a day, there was 2 interested parties to buy from me. Then woke up the next day and stared at my AHI of 0.65. I went to scroll my last 4 days AHI and they were between 0.65-1.63. Then I wonder to myself.... why go through all that additional trouble if the Dreamstation is working so well. Here's my take on the higher algorithm advantage vs Dreamstation. It only matters if the user is setting the CPAP at default levels or doesn't have access to great forums like us to tweak the pressure. Since I already know my sweet spot for pressure is 10-16, getting a Resmed may make much of a difference anyway. Finally, I decided to just stay with the Dreamstation.

I feel if price is not an issue, go for the Resmed. If it is, Dreamstation is still a good choice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm glad to hear that st8800 is finding success with his current machine, however, it took quite a bit of time, and his minimum pressure had to be dialed in to treat the majority of his obstructive events because the Philips auto algorithm is notoriously unresponsive. For auto CPAP my clear favorite is the Resmed Autoset for its better response, maintaining pressure when needed rather than dropping back to the minimum setting, and the great implementation of EPR compared to Flex, which is like getting a bilevel at a CPAP cost.

Whether you choose the standard or For Her version is going to depend on whether you can find the For Her available at a comparable price. While it might be nice to have the additional algorithm, it is not valuable enough to me to pay much more for the machine, and I just don't see the For Her model on the discounted sales sites.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider, you and the rest here had help tremendously to my treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd love to know what machine I was calibrated on (looked like a dreamstation now that I'm researching)
My trial machine is ICON premo but I'm looking at the RESMED airsense 10 elite. But given I only had 7 wake an hour. Do I need so complex..
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2017, 01:30 PM)Phatkid77 Wrote: I'd love to know what machine I was calibrated on (looked like a dreamstation now that I'm researching)
My trial machine is ICON premo but I'm looking at the RESMED airsense 10 elite. But given I only had 7 wake an hour.  Do I need so complex..

you were calibrated by a "technician," not a brand of machine.  the machines in the sleep lab are not the same machines you receive at home...
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah I know. Lol.
Not sure if the technician did anything special but felt like a million bucks the next day
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,128 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,787 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,319 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Please help me decide whether I need to continue with CPAP desaturator 11 1,170 01-23-2022, 01:14 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need Advice on CPAP Machine - Two Days to Decide zzz1 15 2,436 02-26-2019, 10:26 AM
Last Post: zzz1
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 12 6,753 04-08-2018, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Hellodare
  [Equipment] How do Drs decide which machine model to prescribe Sparkle 5 2,768 01-15-2015, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Mr. Van Winkle

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.