Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to delete CPAP data in OSCAR before sleep and after waking?
How to delete CPAP data in OSCAR before sleep and after waking?
I don't fall asleep right away, and I often try to go back to sleep when I wake up too early.   This creates lot of false CPAP data and ruins the sleep statistics, since I'm not asleep doing those times, and frequently shift around, re-adjust mask, breathe extra deep, etc etc etc.   This also creates a lot of false highs and lows, and since OSCAR nicely calibrates the chart range based on highs and lows, every chart in OSCAR is way too "tall" to accommodate the spikes while I was getting adjusted for sleep or waking up.

So... how do I delete the data for the time that I was awake?   I don't see anything in the manual about this, and it has to be a common problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to delete CPAP data in OSCAR before sleep and after waking?
You can't delete a partial segment of data like that.  Best you can do is set the individual chart height to a fixed height instead of auto (on the left side right click on the chart name and change the Y-axis).
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the reply.  

That helps with viewing the charts, but still leaves the "false" data infecting the statistics, including averages of each item as well as max and mins.   

Perhaps there is a place to make this a feature request?  I can't be the only one that doesn't fall asleep immediately or remove the cpap immediately upon waking.
Post Reply Post Reply
While your feature request sounds good, this would open the door to allow someone to modify their data. This would then render OSCAR untrustworthy for analysis. ResScan doesn't allow this option either.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would argue that it does the opposite - allowing non-sleep data into the statistics with no opportunity to correct data known to be misleading makes it untrustworthy. 

Isn't the point of OSCAR to give the best data readings to the user, while the Resmed-based software is used for insurance compliance?   I'm not covered by insurance for this, so I'm more interested in tracking my numbers over time.
Post Reply Post Reply
One of the primary design constraints is that we want OSCAR data to be "accurate," by which we mean is is verifiable and can be validated against the CPAP machine and the manufacturer's software reports. Many people are able to use OSCAR reports for compliance purposes (it depends on the agency compliance reporting requirements).

If we allowed the user to adjust the data, the OSCAR report would instantly become untrustworthy, which would be a detriment to all OSCAR users.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
In addition to the post from Crimson Nape, your PAP cannot determine sleep versus wake states. Maybe you think you know when you are sleeping, but how accurate will you be? Many times we think we're sleeping or not, but our guessing is found inaccurate, and further it's inadmissible evidence.

Example, did your sleep study state you slept longer or shorter than you thought? More or less interruptions than you thought? What we think is certainly inaccurate.

Why bother altering the data? Take the whole story as presented as your overall actual picture.

Final bit, what are you trying to prove or disprove by altering the sleep data? Don't let data cloud your perspective of whether or not your therapy is helping. Do you feel better for the PAP use or not? Let how you feel be the real guide.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Apnealicious ,

This may not help you much but the first and last 30 minutes of data is typically considered "Sleep Wake Junk" and is normal for many people. But it is important to get the "whole picture" of your sleep session, including those times.
You can always make a note in the Journal saying "was restless for first 45 minutes".

As others have stated it would be a bad idea for OSCAR if its users were able to manipulate their data in that way.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2021, 02:00 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: In addition to the post from Crimson Nape, your PAP cannot determine sleep versus wake states. Maybe you think you know when you are sleeping, but how accurate will you be? Many times we think we're sleeping or not, but our guessing is found inaccurate, and further it's inadmissible evidence.

Example, did your sleep study state you slept longer or shorter than you thought? More or less interruptions than you thought? What we think is certainly inaccurate.

Why bother altering the data? Take the whole story as presented as your overall actual picture.

Final bit, what are you trying to prove or disprove by altering the sleep data? Don't let data cloud your perspective of whether or not your therapy is helping. Do you feel better for the PAP use or not? Let how you feel be the real guide.

I am extremely accurate in determining both start and end sleep times.  When I wake up I ALWAYS look at the clock - don't most people do that?  

I use both an Oximeter and Fitbit as well.  The Fitbit outright tells me the time sleep starts and has proven very accurate.  The oximeter shows through stabilized pulse and O2 levels when sleep starts.   Failing that, I'm almost always going to sleep while watching a program on the DVR, so all I have to do is fast forward through the program I was watching to find the spot where my memory of the story stops.    

As it is now, OSCAR records up to 2 hours of data that is falsely considered "sleep data" because I am awake, and sometimes that happens when I wake up and try but fail to go back to sleep.

So as it is now, I KNOW the stats are inaccurate, and I know (from the time of the data) which time periods to remove to make it accurate.   Why simply accept known inaccuracy?  Time awake is not part of the overall sleep picture.

I'm trying to monitor my health, especially sinus health since I have already had 2 sinus surgeries and hoping to avoid a 3rd.  I don't feel better currently, but I don't have a "normal" feeling because I only slept 1-2 hours per night for the last 2 years until surgery in August, then I had steroid implants that dissolved after 4 weeks.  I am one of the 5% of people for whom steroids are like cocaine, so I can't use that as a baseline either.  That leaves me with using this data.

I guess I misunderstood the purpose of OSCAR, I thought it was for users to examine data, but I get the impression from the posts here that is primarily for insurance purposes.  Is there another similar program or app out there designed for cpap users?
Post Reply Post Reply
We try to present the data as the vendor recorded it. It is that simple. Even the type 1 and 2 sleep tests, which are capable of detecting sleep record the full night of flow data and several different sensors to determine sleep. I can see the possibility of a sleep monitor recording sleep data and producing a chart for that, but not cutting off the flow rate. Everyone may not always be as reliable as you are at determining sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 1 69 3 hours ago
Last Post: Ibrumley
  Trouble importing data to Oscar bubbafoxus 2 86 03-22-2024, 05:40 PM
Last Post: bubbafoxus
  OSCAR Profiles and Combining Different Brand CPAP Data StratCat48 2 48 03-22-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Where Oscar put the data file? Rosacer24 0 57 03-22-2024, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Rosacer24
  There's 1.5 years of data in my OSCAR, but now there's a problem Snackers 8 216 03-19-2024, 03:36 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  OSCAR v1.5.2- error code 5, unable to write to data directory sleepynotion 2 105 03-18-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: sleepynotion
  OSCAR data backup strategy matt2 2 95 03-18-2024, 10:32 AM
Last Post: LoudSnorer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.