Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

how to use CPAP data to compute RDI with machine that doesn't report RERAs?
how to use CPAP data to compute RDI with machine that doesn't report RERAs?
I've been using the ResMed S9 VPAP machine for years now.  I have a UARS diagnosis and I would like to know if I can compute my RDI given that my machine does not report RERA events.  It does have a flow limitation graph.  I do realize that without ECG data, there's a lot of guesswork involved.

I have a general idea of what UARS is and what a RERA is and I would think that there ought to be something out there that could take the air-flow data and give a rough estimate, but I don't know where to start.  AFAIK, OSCAR only shows RERA events if the machine reports them, which the ResMed S9 VPAP does not.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: how to use CPAP data to compute RDI with machine that doesn't report RERAs?
OSCAR is first and foremost a reporter of what the device has recorded.

Analysis of that data would be ok but we need a programmer willing and capable to do so. For RERAS step one would be to identify an Arrousal. Step two would be to determine what, if anything caused it

Arousals, on a PSG, are identified with an analysis of the brain activity. Something no CPAP has access to. You would need to identify a disturbance in the Flow Rate. Then look for a cause preceding it. For RERAS the cause you are looking for is a series of flow limitations. The question becomes how long of a series is needed.

All that said you do realize that RERAS tend to be significantly underreported even on the machines that do report them.

Obviously not a trivial task.

Any programmers willing out there? OSCAR is always looking.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a programmer myself, actually.

I would say that if I knew exactly what a RERA looks like, I could describe that in code, but there are lots of different things a RERA can look like, and I would have guessed that what I described has already been done.
Post Reply Post Reply
https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph..._Breathing

One example anyway, obviously both the flow limitations and arousal could look a bit different.

If you would look at the OSCAR code and would like to take a stab at it let me know. As I said OSCAR is always looking for programmers who want to make a difference.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 1 72 9 hours ago
Last Post: Ibrumley
  New version doesn't find profile BlueSky1958 7 87 03-26-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  Rescan app [doesn't see data import] kerm007 3 139 03-24-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  OSCAR Profiles and Combining Different Brand CPAP Data StratCat48 2 49 03-22-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Getting message "Your Resmed CPAP machine has not been tested yet". It's AirSense 11. PurpleOx 32 4,283 03-07-2024, 03:49 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Field map Oscar report fields to MyAir fields jim62 1 159 03-06-2024, 07:38 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Sad Oscar 1.5.1 Doesn't work on Somoma 14.3.1 biyahero 9 383 02-28-2024, 02:00 AM
Last Post: biyahero

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.