Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to delete CPAP data in OSCAR before sleep and after waking?
RE: How to delete CPAP data in OSCAR before sleep and after waking?
The insurance companies have absolutely no interest in looking at OSCAR data.

However, various agencies like the FAA and some DMVs accept OSCAR's reports for compliance purposes, Mainly because the data cannot be edited.

If you can contrive to stop recording for about two minutes just before you fall asleep, and right after you wake up, that will create new therapy sessions. Then you can use the sessions display controls at the bottom of the left column to remove those sessions from the statistics.

If you know when you fell asleep and when you woke up, you can, of course, use the OSCAR charts to count the number of events between those times to calculate an 'accurate' AHI. OSCAR cannot do that for you.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I graphed my sleep data for 3 or 4 months after starting CPAP and I kept a column of the original data and a column of corrected data in my spreadsheet. I was looking at patterns of rise and fall and rates of decline of AHI component values.

I graphed both and I noticed that the graph of the rough uncorrected data told the same story as the corrected data. The rates of change over time were the same for both graphs.

It didn’t make any difference to use cleaned data, which for me meant only including data from the period I was asleep and discarding the data before I fell asleep and after I awoke.
Post Reply Post Reply
For instance, here's a graph of my Central count from March to July.

I wanted to know if they rate of centrals was dropping enough that they would get low within 3 months, as would be expected if they are treatment emergent.

The faded dashed line in the background is the event count of all central events, and the faded red line is the trend line, showing they would hit 5 per night by about July.

The darker blue line is the central event count, only including the events after I fell asleep and before I woke up. The faded blue line is the trend line for that data.

They both predict roughly the same thing. For all the work involved in cleaning up the data I don't think it's giving you any better information.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2021, 09:42 AM)FaceInTheCrowd Wrote: For instance, here's a graph of my Central count from March to July.

I wanted to know if they rate of centrals was dropping enough that they would get low within 3 months, as would be expected if they are treatment emergent.

The faded dashed line in the background is the event count of all central events, and the faded red line is the trend line, showing they would hit 5 per night by about July.

The darker blue line is the central event count, only including the events after I fell asleep and before I woke up. The faded blue line is the trend line for that data.

They both predict roughly the same thing. For all the work involved in cleaning up the data I don't think it's giving you any better information.

Thank you for the replies and for taking the time to upload a chart.  

I just don't understand how radically different readings (before sleep and/or sleep without cpap) don't affect your averages and medians, and those are the important numbers to see trends over time.

I'm attaching to this post my chart from last night, where I put on the oximeter going to bed, was awake for a while, but then fell asleep without putting on the cpap (this happens about 10% of the time, I usually realize when I'm ready for sleep) , woke up and put on the cpap, then woke up 3 hours later and couldn't get back to sleep so I took off the cpap, was awake for a while, then fell asleep again for a short time.

So going strictly by the OSCAR numbers, My average O2 is about 85 which means I should be put in oxygen immediately and possibly hospitalized.   But the reality is that with the cpap my O2 is about 92 which is abnormally low but acceptable.

Next week I go for extensive lung testing, so it's not just a hobby or "getting too into data" or just finding indications for adjusting a CPAP, I'm making important medical decisions with the data, and trends based on accurate data are important.  It seems odd to have such a well thought out and full features program like OSCAR to have a limitation that requires distorted sleep data that could easily be corrected.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You can choose to think the lack of an alteration option of the reports are a limitation if you want. Would you rather OSCAR charts be editable and lose the authentication accuracy? That was already mentioned as the reason OSCAR cannot allow editing.

This unaltered chart reporting is the only way to maintain uniform accurate reports. If available, you might edit differently than I would mine. So where's the uniformity in the reports? It doesn't exist then. What happens if docs decide they should edit your diagnostic sleep report because this or that? Same concept.

As for your oxygen level, yes you chose correctly in getting it checked out. 85% is a qualifier for supplemental oxygen. You're right that you need to accurately chart this. Even so, you'll need the doc to check your pulse oximeter info in the office. They're not taking your info directly to order therapies or equipment, they must measure it themselves. They might listen to you state you've measured XYZ and would like them to check it.

Bottom line OSCAR is a report tool, it reports the data the device records unaltered.

PS responding from earlier, just looking at your clock isn't guaranteed to be 100% accurate you were awake at 1:05 AM or you fell asleep at 2:31 AM. Your clock could be set inaccurate, you have no way to know absolutely that when you sense you're awake that you actually are. There's going to be a lag between sensation and when you actually were. Awake or asleep states aren't instant off then on. The only foolproof accurate way is being wired up as on a sleep test.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would like to mention that the "OS" in "OSCAR" stands for Open Source. Its source code is readily available from GitLab and is available to anyone. This allows you to download the code and modify it to your requirements.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2021, 12:22 PM)Apnealicious Wrote: I just don't understand how radically different readings (before sleep and/or sleep without cpap) don't affect your averages and medians, and those are the important numbers to see trends over time.

In my case, it wasn't critical that I get super accurate with my data. I only wanted to know if the trend was downward, how fast downward and when I could expect it to get down to an acceptable level. I was going to wait 3 or 4 months before I changed anything anyway.

If I was going in for lung tests I'd be making sure I had the best possible data too, believe me.

I get what you're saying about that chart and the oxygen numbers. The difference between 85 and 92 is huge for decision making purposes. I never had anything very critical to worry about. And when I showed my fancy graphs to the doctor they weren't interested anyway.

(11-12-2021, 12:22 PM)Apnealicious Wrote: It seems odd to have such a well thought out and full features program like OSCAR to have a limitation that requires distorted sleep data that could easily be corrected.

If the people doing all the work on Oscar don't think it's a good idea, that's the way it is I guess. To make changes such as you are suggesting is a huge change and it would be a lot of work to get it right. It's volunteer based.

But you can export all your data from Oscar, put it into a spreadsheet and do anything you want with it. If you use Google sheets it's free and if you clean up the daily data each day it only takes minutes a day to build the data set that you want. I think that's the only course you have. I'm not in charge in any way, it's just the way it seems to me.

Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I said earlier, if there is a good solid consumer Sleep State monitor that can be imported into OSCAR we could add a chart for that data similar to what we do with oximeters. But these are reports. The analysis performed with OSCAR has been manual. People looking at the data to determine what is going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
It looks to me that your O2 is ok when on Cpap. Another huge reason you should never sleep without cpap
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-12-2021, 06:54 PM)staceyburke Wrote: It looks to me that your O2 is ok when on Cpap. Another huge reason you should never sleep without cpap

Yes, we agree (me and my DR), happy with that number at night.  Unfortunately my daytime average is about 91, which is not high enough to be discharged from the hospital after surgery, and that's what got me into the whole sleep study/heart test/lung test situation.  92 in minimum for discharge, and 86 is where the hospital will consider intubation of a patient that is awake.   

My sleep without it is accidental, I'm usually good at getting it on before I go to sleep, but this accident gives me good numbers to compare with/without cpap on the same night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question OK TO IMPORT SLEEP DATA FROM OLD SD CARD INTO OSCAR W/O MESSING UP CURRENT DATA? Plmnb 1 77 Today, 01:07 AM
Last Post: Ibrumley
  Trouble importing data to Oscar bubbafoxus 2 88 03-22-2024, 05:40 PM
Last Post: bubbafoxus
  OSCAR Profiles and Combining Different Brand CPAP Data StratCat48 2 49 03-22-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Where Oscar put the data file? Rosacer24 0 60 03-22-2024, 12:16 AM
Last Post: Rosacer24
  There's 1.5 years of data in my OSCAR, but now there's a problem Snackers 8 223 03-19-2024, 03:36 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  OSCAR v1.5.2- error code 5, unable to write to data directory sleepynotion 2 107 03-18-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: sleepynotion
  OSCAR data backup strategy matt2 2 98 03-18-2024, 10:32 AM
Last Post: LoudSnorer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.