Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to disinfect used equipment
RE: How to disinfect used equipment
(11-16-2016, 09:31 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: Sounds fine to me.
Have you considered "sand blasting?"

Don't play around with "sand blasting". If you are going to do, it go big. *Shot blast it.* Big Grin Big Grin Or put bird shot in your 12 gauge and blast it. Big Grin Big Grin Eeehaw!

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I've got some TNT. That should do it don't you thinkDielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
Glutaraldehyde, a small trickle in the water, in 24 hours there is no trace of bacteria or viruses, is the most effective.

If you do not easily dispose of this compound, it is also worth a trickle of chlorine in water and leave it submerged for a couple of hours, you should rinse with plenty of water to remove the chlorine smell on the mask.

The machine when giving positive pressure never gets contaminated with the exhaled respiratory flow, you can be sure
Post Reply Post Reply
Just read the warnings closely on Control III:

PRECAUTIONARY
STATEMENTS:
HAZARDS TO HUMANS
AND DOMESTIC
ANIMALS
DANGER:
Corrosive. Causes irreversible
eye damage and skin
burns. Do not get in eyes,
on skin, or on clothing.
Wear goggles or face
shield, protective clothing
and rubber gloves when
handling. May be harmful
if swallowed or absorbed
through the skin. Wash
thoroughly with soap and
water after handling and
before eating, drinking or
smoking tobacco. Remove
and wash contaminated
clothing.

Think I'll skip this stuff and stick with what I've already done. Although I would still like to try the mask at least for a few minutes to see if it's worth getting the necessary replacement parts. I have read someplace you can boil the mask. I would think that that would eliminate the chance of there being any problem here. If that is the case can I boil the entire mask or just certain parts. How long to boil. I suppose I could include the headgear with this? Would I need to take all those pieces apart or can I leave them as they are? Any other tips on this?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you clean the mask well and use the suggestion of soaking in a gallon of water with 4 TBS of bleach, it will be fine. Don't overthink this or do something that will ruin the mask parts.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2016, 04:19 PM)Lanco Wrote: Think I'll skip this stuff and stick with what I've already done. Although I would still like to try the mask at least for a few minutes to see if it's worth getting the necessary replacement parts. I have read someplace you can boil the mask. I would think that that would eliminate the chance of there being any problem here. If that is the case can I boil the entire mask or just certain parts. How long to boil. I suppose I could include the headgear with this? Would I need to take all those pieces apart or can I leave them as they are? Any other tips on this?

As I said before, spray equal parts peroxide and white vinegar. Let sit a bit. Rinse. Safe, cheap, and effective.

Bill

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2016, 06:19 PM)Spy Car Wrote:
(11-17-2016, 04:19 PM)Lanco Wrote: Think I'll skip this stuff and stick with what I've already done. Although I would still like to try the mask at least for a few minutes to see if it's worth getting the necessary replacement parts. I have read someplace you can boil the mask. I would think that that would eliminate the chance of there being any problem here. If that is the case can I boil the entire mask or just certain parts. How long to boil. I suppose I could include the headgear with this? Would I need to take all those pieces apart or can I leave them as they are? Any other tips on this?

As I said before, spray equal parts peroxide and white vinegar. Let sit a bit. Rinse. Safe, cheap, and effective.

Bill

What about just mixing the two in a bowl and going at it that way? Or would this stuff fizz all over the place?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2016, 05:06 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you clean the mask well and use the suggestion of soaking in a gallon of water with 4 TBS of bleach, it will be fine. Don't overthink this or do something that will ruin the mask parts.

How long would be good for soaking?

Post Reply Post Reply
5-minutes? It doesn't take long as long as it is clean.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-17-2016, 04:19 PM)Lanco Wrote: Just read the warnings closely on Control III:

PRECAUTIONARY
STATEMENTS:
HAZARDS TO HUMANS

That's for the undiluted concentrated solution. You dilute it by putting 1 ounce in a gallon of water and the resulting solution is pretty benign.

See the manufacturer's web site: Q&A
FAQ's.

Quote:Q. Is Control III Disinfectant germicide irritating to the skin and eyes?
A. Concentrated Control III Disinfectant, as it comes straight out of the bottle, is a primary skin and eye irritant. One should avoid contact with the concentrate on skin and in eyes.

The diluted solution is not a skin irritant. If you do get it in your eye, you should rinse it thoroughly with plain water for 15 minutes. Call a doctor if redness or irritation persists.

I've used Control III and the diluted solution is reasonably pleasant and doesn't seem to harm the skin. Don't get it in your eyes.

You may think that if the concentrated solution is bad, the diluted solution is risky. You dilute it 16:1 before you use it. Many other things you might use to clean or disinfect are harmful in pure form. For instance, vinegar is Acetic acid, which will burn your skin in 100% concentration. Pure hydrogen peroxide is extremely hazardous.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 376 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] Successful equipment modification tcurran 8 553 01-05-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  hammer44 - ASV Therapy Equipment Question hammer44 11 602 01-01-2024, 01:47 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] CPAP Equipment Selection mgonthier 1 333 09-13-2023, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  What to do with "old" equipment? Paul Van Benschoten 10 940 06-30-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What's the quickest easiest way to clean your CPAP equipment? WWu777 24 3,737 03-06-2023, 06:55 PM
Last Post: nelamvr6

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.