Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to dry hose completely
RE: How to dry hose completely
Twirl it around (careful, not hitting anything or myself) getting drops of water out and hang it over the bedroom door for everyone to see, for the rest of the day, or in the wardrobe and get the spare out. Don't recommend the shower or the garage to dry the hose
If done early in the morning, usually dry by bedtime
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies! I think after I am able to buy my own CPAP machine and therefore extra CPAP supplies (due to insurance kicking in by that point) then I will buy a 2nd hose so I can rotate them every other day giving each hose at least 36 hours to dry in between use (after washing). Probably buy a climate line or whatever a heated hose is called also along with various other supplies.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have a standard (non heated hose), I just run a piece of paper towel through it with a dowel (or some such) that's a little longer than one half the size of the hose. The hose compresses.

With a heated hose, I just rinse it out and let it air dry. It's not necessary to have it completely dry. The heater will dry it enough. Mold and mildew don't build up that fast.
Post Reply Post Reply
I hang my hose from a hook over the shower in our guest bedroom. Rubber band around the end of the hose and it hangs straight. Works for the 6 foot hose, however, I have to loop the 10 footer.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
My machine shuts off after running unconnected to a properly fitted mask for a while. So that wouldn't work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, actually, you can't ever completely dry out anything because we live in air and a good part of the air is water vapour. Good thing to, since we need it to live.

It seems to me to be futile to expect your hose to be completely dry, but supposing you even could, the moment you stopped the drying process it would be wet again from the water vapour in the air. Unless you stored it in a vacuum I suppose...
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
OK thanks all. I'm ok with there being some water left in the hose now that I know there's no problem with it.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2015, 09:25 PM)GP49 Wrote: My machine shuts off after running unconnected to a properly fitted mask for a while. So that wouldn't work.

That is configurable on most S9 machines. I'm not 100% sure whether the S9 Adapt can do this, but I bet it can.

I'm not in favor of running your working CPAP machine to dry the hose. The machine may work harder trying to keep the pressure up and cause excess wear.

Unheated hoses are cheap on e-bay. I swap my hoses every week or so and let the just cleaned one dry out for a week.

Someone reported that hanging the hoses completely vertical allowed them to dry much more completely, due to air flow by convection. Even if you can't get it completely vertical, it might help to hang it mostly vertical with one end higher than the other.

I have an old brick CPAP machine set to minimum pressure that I use to dry my hoses. There are also commercial systems to do this for sleep labs. Some people have made their own fan powered devices.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 228 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 578 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Treatment] Can nasal airway stent help UARS but not completely treat it? airwaystent 9 974 12-19-2023, 06:11 AM
Last Post: airwaystent
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 638 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.