Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to eliminate a long OA cluster with CSR
How to eliminate a long OA cluster with CSR
My normal AHI is below 5 but over the last few days I'm getting long clusters of OA(79) mixed with a CSR which has driven AHI to 12.51.  See attachments.

Background:  I use pressure range of 7 thru 10.  Above 10 I experience aerophagia.  A side sleeper.  Interested to know what caused this long  string of OA.  Usually events are CA but often during the period  I wake up.

I use a Resmed Full hybrid mask  F30i

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to eliminate a long OA cluster with CSR
When you have grouped O or H events you are having positional apnea. Positional apnea is when you sleep in a position that cuts off your airway.

No pressure changes can help - you must find a way not to get into that position. It is Alison called chin tucking where your chin drops down to your Sternum cutting off your airway.

It may be just a one time thing, like sleeping on your back or sleeping with higher pillows.

If you can’t stop getting into that position you may need to wear a collar to keep your chin up.

Please look at the link I have in my signature on collars. In that link it show people without a collar and the same people with a collar. HUGE DIFFERENCE
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
That is positional apnea.
You have no CSR as you are having no CA events in all that periodic breathing. OSCAR calls it "CSR" only because that is what the manufacturer ResMed calls it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the quick replies. I thought as well that this was positional apnea. When I received the F30i as a side sleeper I found the front air vents would vent cold air directly onto my arm. To avoid this I began to position the top bedsheet to cover my arm this resulted in clusters of OA but not as long as the one in my post. I reasoned that this was caused by the bedsheet blocking the mask vent which caused mild hypercapnia. Last night I ensured that the bedsheet was away from my upper body and the OA events disappeared completely. I need to see if this a solution or manage the suspected chin tuck.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which CPAP Wipes Effectively Eliminate Bacteria and Germs? dharma2255 4 171 04-17-2024, 01:11 PM
Last Post: dharma2255
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 4 165 04-16-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 266 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Long story short chronic 5 421 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 583 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 248 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 654 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.