Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to encourage Spouse to look into a sleep study?
RE: How to encourage Spouse to look into a sleep study?
I used a small digital voice recorder to convince myself that I needed cpap help. Got it at Walmart for $35. Worked like a charm and hearing myself strangle periodically was evidence enough!!! Olympus VN-7200
Post Reply Post Reply
Invincible ignorance is relevant here. Some people can't be convinced.

Recording a video might help. Have them watch and try to breathe along with the video while awake. If they feel how it feels while awake, it might convince them. Be careful that they don't breathe extra heavy before the simulated apnea.

However, invincible ignorance is tough to beat.

One big thing is the whole medical mafia system. I think a lot of things are somewhat scammy, but apnea and CPAP isn't among them. The test is pretty definitive. CPAP isn't profitable enough to make it worth the risk to fake it, and they have plenty of people with real apnea. If anything, they tend to not treat people who do need it. CPAP is the miracle cure for many people.

i.e. Apnea is real and CPAP is the cure.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
intubation is a cure if your condition is caught before you expire, don't let yourself get that far.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
i recorded (sound only) my husband's breathing and not breathing one night and played it for him to no avail, it wasn't until he took an afternoon nap and i took video of him, (there was enough light in our room for video) that he realized how bad his apnea was. He started talking to his patients (he's a dentist) about sleep studies and CPAP and scheduled an appointment with a sleep doctor shortly after that.
Post Reply Post Reply
hurray, I am so excited!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2015, 09:12 AM)jms722 Wrote: i recorded (sound only) my husband's breathing and not breathing one night and played it for him to no avail, it wasn't until he took an afternoon nap and i took video of him, (there was enough light in our room for video) that he realized how bad his apnea was. He started talking to his patients (he's a dentist) about sleep studies and CPAP and scheduled an appointment with a sleep doctor shortly after that.
Hi jms722,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
That's great to hear that the video convinced your husband to see a sleep doc and get things started.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and to your husband as he starts his CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2015, 04:56 PM)TheManseHen Wrote: I note there are many his and her Cpap sets out there, and by that I don't mean machines, I mean couples.

How did that come about? Did one person see how better the other felt and decide to get tested? Did one person say "you are not sleeping with me until you fix the snoring!" Did one person pray that the light would be seen? (and I don't mean THAT LIGHT)

I shan't say I am referring to any wonderful but slightly curmudgeonly dozey old gnome, just wondering.

The Hen

We have a saying in the South; If mamma ain't happy, then nobody is happy! Just use your female persuasion, I'm sure he would like to eat in the near future.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 247 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 78 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 68 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.