Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to encourage Spouse to look into a sleep study?
How to encourage Spouse to look into a sleep study?
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I note there are many his and her Cpap sets out there, and by that I don't mean machines, I mean couples.

How did that come about? Did one person see how better the other felt and decide to get tested? Did one person say "you are not sleeping with me until you fix the snoring!" Did one person pray that the light would be seen? (and I don't mean THAT LIGHT)

Do all dedicated snorers have apnea? Thinking-about

Does lacking the waking to pee or extreme tiredness rule it out?

Am I just seeing apnea everywhere now and preaching the cpap gospel?
Have I joined a cult? Dancing

I shan't say I am referring to any wonderful but slightly curmudgeonly dozey old gnome, just wondering.

The Hen
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to encourage Spouse to look into a sleep study?
This post caught my attention. You see, Im pretty sure my husband has sleep apnea also. He snores, snorts, coughs in sleep... Gets up several times. Now you ask ...how do I know what he is doing if I'm hooked up to a hose and should be asleep??? Well lately it has gotten worse and it prevents me from sleeping.
He refuses to go for a sleep study, even though he has told me many times how well I am doing and he notices a change in me. I don't think he believes me when I tell him how bad he is at night. The other night he was snoring, talking in his sleep, kicking, and flinging his arms about. I couldn't get out of bed fast enough (which wasn't easy being hooked up and all) to get away. I though he wound punch me.
Of course he doesn't remember any of it.Oh-jeez
I don't mean this to sound comical...I am thinking of recording him at night.
Any suggestions?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not just females trying to get their SO's to get tested.
Mrs. Mongo is just as resistant.

I even have a MENSA card; and she still thinks I don't know anything.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife tried my APAP for a night with no real evidence of apnea despite my strong suspicions (BTW, she had no problem even first night using a P10 mask for the whole night.)

Tonight she is doing a commercial home sleep study our cardiologist prescribed -- we'll see if that shows something different.

I suspect the prevalence of couples on xPAP is due to awareness and knowledge of the problems and solution. Also, if one is successful, the other is more likely to be successful since we know that many people fail due to lack of knowledge and support.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2015, 05:13 PM)OpalRose Wrote: This post caught my attention. You see, Im pretty sure my husband has sleep apnea also. He snores, snorts, coughs in sleep... Gets up several times. Now you ask ...how do I know what he is doing if I'm hooked up to a hose and should be asleep??? Well lately it has gotten worse and it prevents me from sleeping.
He refuses to go for a sleep study, even though he has told me many times how well I am doing and he notices a change in me. I don't think he believes me when I tell him how bad he is at night. The other night he was snoring, talking in his sleep, kicking, and flinging his arms about. I couldn't get out of bed fast enough (which wasn't easy being hooked up and all) to get away. I though he wound punch me.
Any suggestions?
Hi OpalRose,
I think that is a good idea. Maybe if you record him, he will believe you. You might want to get a cam-corder so he can "see" as well as "hear" what he is doing. Hang in there, I'm sure someone will have more ideas as to how to get that done.
I wish you luck on this.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't answer all of your questions but I can tell you that I never had to wake up and pee several times during the night and I didn't have daytime tiredness that I was aware of but yeah I have and if it had not been for an alert doctor and I can't recall today what made that Dr order the sleep study test but I'm glad she did because being on a machine is a whole lot better than the alternative like damage to my heart or other organs or worse yet waking up dead

(02-03-2015, 04:56 PM)TheManseHen Wrote: Hello Ladies and Gents,

I note there are many his and her Cpap sets out there, and by that I don't mean machines, I mean couples.

How did that come about? Did one person see how better the other felt and decide to get tested? Did one person say "you are not sleeping with me until you fix the snoring!" Did one person pray that the light would be seen? (and I don't mean THAT LIGHT)

Do all dedicated snorers have apnea? Thinking-about

Does lacking the waking to pee or extreme tiredness rule it out?

Am I just seeing apnea everywhere now and preaching the cpap gospel?
Have I joined a cult? Dancing

I shan't say I am referring to any wonderful but slightly curmudgeonly dozey old gnome, just wondering.

The Hen

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2015, 05:13 PM)OpalRose Wrote: This post caught my attention. You see, Im pretty sure my husband has sleep apnea also. He snores, snorts, coughs in sleep... Gets up several times. Now you ask ...how do I know what he is doing if I'm hooked up to a hose and should be asleep??? Well lately it has gotten worse and it prevents me from sleeping.
Any suggestions?

can you get him to agree to have a sleep study at home and by the sounds of it he might have another sleep disorder either independently or with sleep apnea
Post Reply Post Reply
Opal, that's difficult, I'd say have a study or enjoy the guestroom (-: But seriously, I don't "get it" either, why they can see how helpful it is for us, but not see that they may also benefit. I don't know why any of us wait so long to investigate the possibility we have apnea. I think in my case, I just didn't think I fit the profile, no doctor ever suggested it etc. I appreciate that one of my new doctors actually had on their new patient form, do you snore or does your bed partner say you do?

Susan
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-03-2015, 05:13 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Of course he doesn't remember any of it.Oh-jeez

Then he won't remember if you deck him! Bigwink

Hey folks, I got tired of Mrs. QAL waking me after 27 seconds of sleep, and all the crap she was giving me about having to check if I was breathing, sure that I wasn't. SO. I moved to the basement.

No, literally. I did move! I didn't sleep upstairs, period. For about a decade!

Why would a normal, intelligent guy, refuse to seek medical attention? For one, I was too dang sleepy. And, I blamed it on my stress level, I have a stressful job.

right!

Well when I did get the news, the sleep folks told me that 'most patients suffer with symptoms for an average of 8 years before seeking advice/treatment, so don't feel bad.'

Oh, seems my stressful job is not nearly as stressful (by a factor of 3) when I have slept and have my right (correct) mind back.

What should you do? (1) pray for him that the light will come on, (2) tell him you are willing to do anything to make sure he is around for a long time, (3) and tell him it scares you and that's no way to live.

Ultimatum theology does NOT work when you try it on pig headed stubborn brats.

I really wish you the best and quickest resolution.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone!

QAL.... Ha, Ha...I just might have to deck him! Hammer
I'm glad your wife kept giving you crap.
I poke my husband a lot at night, he just rolls over and ignores me

me50..... I think the Home Study idea might work. Maby tonight I can get him to wear my finger oximeter. That might be a good place to start.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 241 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 191 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 148 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 65 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.