Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to explain SpO2 dip, flow limit and snore graphs
How to explain SpO2 dip, flow limit and snore graphs
I'd appreciate help with interpreting the dip in SpO2 as shown in the attached graphic, particularly between the two vertical rulings, approximately from 4:45 to 5:25 am. I see unusual relationships among my sleep measurements.

It is only in the last 10 minutes of that 40 minute period that Tidal Volume (TV) and Respiration Rate (RR) departed much from central values (as the larger amplitudes of the low SpO2 also show).

Most puzzling to me is the fact that right after 5:25 Snore kicks in hard and joins large medium to large Flow Restrictions (FR) but SpO2 rises to its more normal level as it was at 4:15. (A10 outlet Pressure rose from 10.9 cm at 5:18 to 12.5 by 5:25, and to the 13.1 peak by 5:38.)

For the record:  

1. Leaks are trivial and not shown for the night. During the 40 minutes, Leak dropped from 12.5 L/min at the 4:45 start to 2.6  by 4:50, then to 1.2 or less until 5:25.

2. I find that (now my second CMS50I) is sensitive to shifts of the "rubber" finger sensor in the stick-slip's split instant, but it readings are not highly sensitive to usual small displacements of the sensor after a few seconds have passed. There was a drop out of SpO2 recordings from about 5:50 to 6:20 when I got up for a toilet break.

3. The red horizontal trace in the top graph shows that at 4:45 I rolled farther over from about 70  degrees (off of supine) on my right side to about 110 degrees (not unusual) and stayed their quieter than I had been until then (as indicated by fewer little red "twigs").

4. The Perfusion Index also reflects the big SpO2 hit for 40 minutes.

5. It has been interesting to shift the alignment rulers left and right on such graphs and see that almost very Snore is accompanied by a significant large spike in FR and a shift in body or neck position (as shown by short red vertical "twigs" off the horizontal red trace). It's clear that sound quiet sleep is not assured by low AHI. The accelerometer data graphed in the red trace is from a device by Gulf Coast Data Concepts. I wear it on the front flat surface of a cervical collar. (Ignore a bit of its underlying data located in the upper left corner of the graphic.)

Again,

Any help would be appreciated.

2SB
[attachment=8941]
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to explain SpO2 dip, flow limit and snore graphs
Not sure, but maybe someone will answer.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm confused by the position data. The low SpO2 seems to relate mostly to the position, but I'm unsure what we're looking at.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2018, 03:13 PM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: Not sure, but maybe someone will answer.

(11-01-2018, 05:46 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I'm confused by the position data.  The low SpO2 seems to relate mostly to the position, but I'm unsure what we're looking at.

Thanks for looking at this S2S and Sleeprider,

I'll check back in soon to continue here. I am reviewing similar SpO2 and PI drops in the recent past (since late July 2018) during which I have had position information. In the more distant past, before getting the accelerometer and when using my previous CMS50I (lasted 2+ years 'til irreplaceable battery died [April 2018?]), I had similar drops that occurred occasionally, but mainly for a period upon returning to bed after getting up in the night. I can't recall seeing that contradictory info in the graphs in my OP. Also, as again last night, I am seeing these drops in oxygenation earlier in my sleep and in time intervals that match--begin and end between--motion events like turns, shifts and snore-spike motions.

My newer (May 2018?) CMS50I's data may  reflect either a pulmonary or a device problem.  I have seen two instances of what I call drop outs lasting, say, 20-30 minutes, where no data recorded and I had not turned off the device in that sleep session. Further, downloading sometimes reports the device is not found when in fact a couple of repeated click sequences will bring up the graphs. I think I will be sending both devices back to China, one for a new battery, the other for repair or replacement.

Sleeprider, is it the graph of position that gives rise to uncertainty or the breathing question I raised? The red graph line in graphics like the top one in the OP have been most helpful to me in convincing and forcing me to prevent supine sleep, almost eliminating OSA's and making me more aware that getting good scores does not assure the most restful sleep; it just yields better sleep. Those spikes in the Flow Rate and, say, Tidal Volume curves are almost all accompanied by varying amounts of motion as shown by varying sizes of the offshoots from the red graph line. 

Thanks again.

2SB
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
Oximeters are known to report false drops due to the wire connections getting jostled during position movement during the night. I would guess this is probably what your seeing.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 101 Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 267 Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 315 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 114 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,616 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 243 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 145 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.