Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to find Central Apnea events in OSCAR? [Treatment of central apnea]
RE: How to find Central Apnea events in OSCAR?
Hi Fred, thanks for your reply. I will certainly look into a cervical collar. Could you please tell me a little about what those clusters mean?
Post Reply Post Reply
Clusters are an indication that your chin is tucking in to your chest. At least that is the very common cause in almost every case we see
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2019, 03:47 PM)bonjour Wrote: You have a few central apneas but not enough to be concerned about, per your closeup they appear to be correctly identified.

Of much more concern are the clusters of OA and H.  Are you using a soft cervical collar?  If not you should be.  It should significantly reduce your AHI.
It is about time to recognize POSAS, ie positional OSAS. Respironics has just aquired a dutch startup NightBalance: they invented the Sleep Position Trainer (SPT) . Ever thought that lying on your back would cause more apneas?
Just look at this: https://www.usa.philips.com/c-e/hs/sleep...lance.html
In the Netherlands we are already well aware of this and it has been accepted by the insurance companies already as the solution as replacement of the tennis ball... Some of my friends don't even need a cpap anymore...
Eh... what I meant is that I gather you suffer from POSAS!! Smile
Arie KLERK: Member of the Dutch Apnea Association staff (https://apneuvereniging.nl) and proud to be the OSCAR Translations Team Coordinator. 
***Please help us: We’re always looking for more translators and language editors***

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients, but just dedication to AB. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Gasp, please read our wiki on Positional Apnea http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
and the Soft Cervical Collar http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar

Those wikis describe the problem and show examples of other member's charts that have had and solved the problem. I think after reading this you will be much better prepared to solve your own positional apnea problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is this central or what?
Last night's sleep record shows a lot of CA activity around 07:10. Can you please tell me if this is really central apnea or what. And how bad is it? I didn't feel that great this morning.

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is this central or what?
We need a zoomed in screenshot to look at the flow rate in that area. 2 min zoom please
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your reply and advice. I think this will work. Let me know.

Post Reply Post Reply
Those look real to me. The concerning part is the CSR breathing. There are a few experts in here on that subject. They should be able to shed more light on this for you. They should be around shortly. It’s the holidays so it may take longer than usual for a response.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
That pattern of Periodic Breathing looks marginally like CSR.  Note the small breaths (less amplitude) at the beginning of each group followed by increasing and then decreasing in amplitude to the Central.  The second half is more representative of CSR than the 1st half.  This is close enough to bring your doctor in.  No reason to panic though.

Some questions
Do you have any cardiac issues?  
Any (other) breathing issues?
Any history of Stroke or Seizures?
Any Meds, including recreational ones?

CSR is associated with Congestive Heart Failure so you want to clear that with your doctor.  When associated with CHF the pattern is typically much more persistent over the entire night, but we do not treat or diagnose CHF thus the need to bring your doctor into this conversation.
Post Reply Post Reply
The gradually fading respiratory flow into a CA and lack of recovery breath, or gradual resumption of breathing is a pretty classic characteristic of central apnea and even CSR. The fact is is sustained over a 40 minute period is worth noting. If this were a regular occurrence, you should advise your doctor of your concern, however if it is isolated to a few or one night then it is much less of a concern. You are using relatively low pressure of 7.0 and no EPR so there is nothing in the settings that should be causing this.

I would encourage you to keep your threads together because this looks similar to the events you had from 07:40 to 08:20 on 12/17. In that chart you also had a large cluster of obstructive apnea which might be positional, or considering what we are seeing here, could be another manifestation of complex or central apnea. Is the fact that you are having periodic breathing with central apnea at the same time a coincidence? The more information we can consider together, the better we will be able to help and formulate a larger picture of your therapy.

With your permission I would like to merge the two threads.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 26 570 3 hours ago
Last Post: p4ncaketim
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 52 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 351 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,517 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.