Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to find Central Apnea events in OSCAR? [Treatment of central apnea]
RE: How to find Central Apnea events in OSCAR?
(12-28-2019, 04:42 PM)bonjour Wrote: SleepRider, CSR, and I believe GFA's centrals, should respond to EERS, What do you think?

It's uncharted territory. EERS is fine for therapy onset central apnea, however we are dealing with a pretty classic looking CSR in this case.  On the other hand, EERS will stimulate respiratory drive and may cancel out these events while protecting against OSA with pressure.  I don't see the harm in trying.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The pathophysiology of Cheyne–Stokes breathing can be summarized as apnea leading to increased CO2 which causes excessive compensatory hyperventilation, in turn causing decreased CO2 which causes apnea, restarting the cycle. from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheyne%E...espiration  and the Alt methods link in EERS wiki talks about using EERS for CSR so there is a history of it.  But it certainly is up to the OP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Osiris357 I can't argue with you on that but here's my situation. I think the doc is in a profitable business that he doesn't want to upset. I have Medicare with a secondary and I think he and the DMS are not wanting to do anything that might cross some of Medicare's strict rules. For instance, I have been seeking a machine that will do AVS CPAP and I can't get neither he nor the DMS to do anything about this. I could be wrong on all this, but I am having a problem with him helping me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bonjour and Sleeprider, this is starting to get very technical and it is obvious I need to bring in my physician on this. Perhaps I need to go to another doc who is more willing to look at my data than mine seems to be.
Post Reply Post Reply
We are kind of talking amongst ourselves and EERS is much simpler than it sounds. It is called Enhanced Expiratory Rebreathing Space, and amounts to relocating the mask vent to the end of a short section of flexible tube. The short tube holds back a small volume of exhaled air which has some CO2 in it that can reduce or eliminate central apnea by stabilizing respiration. Some people experience central apnea, or a lack of breathing effort, after starting CPAP because the extra ventilation removes CO2 which is a key part of the signal that tells our body to breathe. We can get pretty technical, but the concept is simple and inexpensive. Before you get your doctor involved, it's a safe bet he may not be aware of this technique. Here is our wiki article http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ace_(EERS)
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
To add to what I have previously posted, I recently purchased a recording pulse oximeter. So here is a typical example of one night (Dec 30) with focus on the last 10 minutes or so in the last hour of sleep

As you can see, my sPO2 really drops at this time and may be responsible for why I feel so lousy when I get up. Any idea why this may be occuring and what I can do about it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Aircurve 10 ASV. As soon as possible. We cannot provide setting for your CPAP to deal with this. You have all the evidence you need to cause a competent doctor to make the right choice.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I’m sorry GFA, I just saw that post. It’s not about upsetting business it’s about your insurance company and their ridiculous process of getting someone on an ASV machine. You have to fail at CPAP/APAP then fail at Bilevel then you get an ASV. Which makes absolutely no sense at all. They spend more on sleep studies than just paying the $3000 or whatever they pay for the ASV. 

The only thing I can think of is since this medical field is still in its infancy they are more or less using people as study subjects to gain more knowledge of SA. Even though they know ASV is the only machine capable of clearing central apneas.

For me I’m lucky a soft cervical collar solved my problems because with a 1.5 AHI the only way I could’ve gotten a bilevel is out of my own pocket. That said I still may try as soon as I can spare the cash
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
This thread has gone waaay past software support, so I will move it to the main forum, with an amended title.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 37 8 hours ago
Last Post: TiredTim
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 214 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 329 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,512 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 347 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.