Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to get better sleep
How to get better sleep
Hi, I use an autoset Resmed S9 with Humidifier, currently with a Resmed Quatro Air full face mask. I continue waking up throughout the night, often removing mask without knowing. I have used nasal pillows and nasal masks over the last 6 years with only moderate success. I currently average just over 4 hours mask usage per night and looking at ways to improve keeping my mask on. I have also tried hypnotherapy, sleep music and also been to a Sleep Psycologist. If anyone can offer suggestions how to keep my mask on better I would appreciate the comments.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to get better sleep
(11-10-2014, 11:19 PM)acoe2 Wrote: Hi, I use an autoset Resmed S9 with Humidifier, currently with a Resmed Quatro Air full face mask. I continue waking up throughout the night, often removing mask without knowing. I have used nasal pillows and nasal masks over the last 6 years with only moderate success. I currently average just over 4 hours mask usage per night and looking at ways to improve keeping my mask on. I have also tried hypnotherapy, sleep music and also been to a Sleep Psycologist. If anyone can offer suggestions how to keep my mask on better I would appreciate the comments.
Hello
I had such problem sometimes. My best answer was auto-hypnosis and relaxation. The worst thing is anxiety and obsession. Every hour has to become positive or is a bad hour. ? Try to keep it positive with auto-suggestion. Read a book. Drink a cup of something you like, live something you like.. Think about one good thing you've lived. If You fall asleep that's ok, if you don't, that's also ok. It seems easy to speak like that but that's how it works for me.
I hope you will soon get well Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I *HAD* to wear my mask every moment I slept. So between self-talk, and wearing my mask (without the hose) when reading a book, or watching TV it didn't take me long. Wear the mask anytime you are at home and awake (when you can force yourself to) - self-talk is telling yourself why the mask is good, and sleeping without the mask is bad.

Also, turn on the "high leak" alarm, and turn off the "auto-start/stop" - that way if you take your mask off, but do not turn off the machine, the alarm should wake you.

Best luck to you.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2014, 11:19 PM)acoe2 Wrote: Hi, I use an autoset Resmed S9 with Humidifier, currently with a Resmed Quatro Air full face mask. I continue waking up throughout the night, often removing mask without knowing. I have used nasal pillows and nasal masks over the last 6 years with only moderate success. I currently average just over 4 hours mask usage per night and looking at ways to improve keeping my mask on. I have also tried hypnotherapy, sleep music and also been to a Sleep Psycologist. If anyone can offer suggestions how to keep my mask on better I would appreciate the comments.

Part of your problem could be your pressure range. Download SleepyHead software (or look at Rescan) to see what your 95% pressure is during the night. Post your graphs here so we can see them and help you tighten up your pressure range. Having your pressure range wide open like this is probably contributing to your mask removal.

If you don't have a copy of your sleep study, ask for it and ask for the WHOLE report. Others will have other suggestions for you. The main thing is don't give up.
Post Reply Post Reply

Part of your problem could be your pressure range. Download SleepyHead software (or look at Rescan) to see what your 95% pressure is during the night. Post your graphs here so we can see them and help you tighten up your pressure range. Having your pressure range wide open like this is probably contributing to your mask removal.

If you don't have a copy of your sleep study, ask for it and ask for the WHOLE report. Others will have other suggestions for you. The main thing is don't give up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some have had success attaching the mask hose to their shirt or pillow so that when they take the mask off, it doesn't go anywhere and the noise wakes them.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2014, 01:45 AM)Peter_C Wrote: Also, turn on the "high leak" alarm, and turn off the "auto-start/stop" - that way if you take your mask off, but do not turn off the machine, the alarm should wake you.

Best luck to you.

(11-11-2014, 03:22 AM)me50 Wrote: Part of your problem could be your pressure range.

(11-11-2014, 12:18 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Some have had success attaching the mask hose to their shirt or pillow so that when they take the mask off, it doesn't go anywhere and the noise wakes them.

These are great suggestions. What is probably happening is when you are sound asleep your mask shifts and begins to leak. Then with your max pressure set to 20, it gets really noisy and leaky. So much so that the machine thinks you have taken the mask off so it shuts down.

Now everything is nice and quiet, except you aren't getting any air. So still asleep, you remedy the situation by removing the mask. Much better now, you sleep on........

You do need to know where your therapeutic range is. Checking your results in Sleepyhead should tell you that. It also should tell you if I'm right in that the pressure went crazy go nutz just before the machine shut down. If you can find your average pressures for when you were asleep, then you can begin moving the minimum pressure upward, and the maximum pressure downward, until you have a nice little range surrounding you.

A pressure range of 5 to 20 is definitely asking for complications. So start skinnying it up a little and I think you'll be fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi acoe2,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you as you try the suggestions above and with finetuning your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid
  Home sleep test vs. sleep study at clinic rikkitikkitavi 14 3,200 02-18-2022, 08:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.