Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to get more APAP sleep?
RE: How to get more APAP sleep?
I know I could have gone back and fought with them to get the records and the Rx. But the doctor was refusing to write an Rx without the titration study, and I was not willing to go through that hassle (and being lied to) again. Especially since I knew I wanted an APAP rather than a straight CPAP anyway. An efficient setup would have done the titration when I was there for the diagnostic study, and that's what some of my friends had done (elsewhere). It's not like I was a borderline case with over 30 episodes per hour - haven't they ever heard of standing orderrs? oh, but of course then they wouldn't have been able to charge for two separate studies.

Oh well, enough about them. As I said, I don't expect any problems getting a copy of the report from my primary doc next week.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi groggygirl,WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy takes time to get used to, just stick with it, over time, it does get better.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
Good luck on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses. I don't *have* a copy of my sleep study but I have an appt with my regular doc next week and should be able to get a copy then. (Can you tell I am less than pleased with the local sleep center? Going back for a titration study is going to be a very last option.) I'm not sure why I am a mouth breather but I suspect it's because I have major sinus issues and usually at least one nasal channel has blocked airflow due to sinus.

I did change the max pressure to 20, no difference in the sleep-2-hours-then-can't-use-the-APAP-any-more pattern. I'll try increasing the minimum pressure a little.

I haven't slept through the night since I was pregnant, and my daughter is almost 30. lol So I'm not shooting for the impossible. Also, I have only one kidney, so I'm more concerned about keeping enough fluid in my system to not overwork it than getting up at night. I can usually get right back to sleep, I'm more focused on making my sleep better.

I don't know why the SD card didn't work. The issue was in the APAP, not my computer - I got a WARN 008 error, which is "machine can't read SD card." DH is monkeying with the card now, if we can't get it working I may have to break down and buy a new card. The manual says the card has to be less than 2 GB, which I took to mean 1GB, and formatted to FAT16. We had a hard time finding one in the house that was so small! lol  Thanks for the link to the software, I downloaded and installed the files.

(I just realized that I never posted this after writing it last night! lol as you can see from posts I remembered to click "post" on, I did get the SD card working.)
Post Reply Post Reply
If needed, I can highly recommend a Septoplasty on your nose for either side that needs it. At the bare minimum, check with your ENT to see if you need and can get a Turbinate Reduction.

I had to have both those, PLUS UPPP surgery over 20 years ago in order to even just tolerate cpap therapy. I also couldn't breath through my nose, but that cured it. The UPPP surgery was needed because my uvula was HUGE. You couldn't even see the bottom of it because it hung down so far.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a septoplasty and turbinate reduction in August, was diagnosed with OSA in Nov., started on xPAP mid-Jan. What a revelation the surgery was! For the first time in decades, I am able to breathe freely through my nose. I no longer have to pull on my face while lying down to get enough air--nasal strips did not open my poor swollen, tiny passages enough to breathe well. Best thing I ever did. If you do need it, I also highly recommend it!
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting suggestion. I may need to see an ENT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 89 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 374 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 577 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 440 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,426 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,152 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.