Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to get to zero apneas??
RE: How to get to zero apneas??
A couple points to ponder here. 1) Getting optimal therapy will be key to getting and maintaining the lowest numbers you can get for you. If your DME and/or sleep doc are involved and helpful, they can be a good resource. The folks here are great at sharing what has worked for them too. If you're going to chase lower AHI numbers yourself, use a good program (like Sleepyhead) and take it slow...one adjustment at a time. You need to be able to have a good record of results to show whether something has worked or not and you can't do that changing stuff every day or two.

Of course, your personal situation may not make 0.0 nights possible...don't be frustrated by not having zeros, as it's not possible for everyone. That said, though, a goal of low AHI and feeling good in the morning is a good thing to work towards.

In my case, I'm a UARS patient...my AHI is usually low, but my personal RDI is about 9-10x my AHI. In other words, I need to be pushing zero AHIs as much as I can because my rest disruptions are about 10x what my recorded AHI is. I might get 0.1-0.3 on a regular basis, but that's the same as a regular OSA patient having a 1-3 AHI.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is not easy to get the 0.0AHI, I had 9AHI the other night, no effect on me the following day, thought a week of this might have had.
The next day I had 0.0AHI followed by a 6AHI (What they were made up of I am not sure as not looked yet, but machine say OSA!
No centrals!  But I had a problem with the chin strap, it gave way at the stitching (now fixed and that is why I had 0.0 following night) but it was very annoying at the time.  I did have a collar, but in the dark with the other half sleeping I didn't look for it.  Not that the collar works for me, but I would have had a lot less than 9AHI, or maybe even 6AHI.
So if you can get 0.0, well done, but it is not easy or I think possible to get this every night.
So as long as you get the numbers down as low as you can get them and you feel fine and refreshed in the morning without feeling fatigued during the day, you are doing fine.
Just be careful when you are driving, if you feel at all tired, pull over, have a drink of coffee or energy drink and have a break.
Better safe than sorry.

We are about to get rain here in Scotland after weeks of dry hot sunny weather.  People are happy to see the rain.
It does not always rain in Scotland as people think, but it does rain often, though seldom a lot.  It can rain every day here, but if it does, wait five minutes and the sun might come out.  Glasgow and the west coast rains the most, but you can get very good weather as well and you can't beat the scenery.
This is not an advert for Scotland.  Just saying.
If you ever come to Scotland:
Bring a long extension cable and a three square pin adaptor.  Put at least a three socket extension plug at the end of the cable, one for machine, one for phone and the other for laptop, other phone etc.  At least 6mtrs long if not longer, though it only needs to carry 6amps so does not need to be a heavy one.  In some hotels sockets on the walls are limited to the other side of the room from the bed, this is why you need a long cable.  I would also advise when you get here to go buy a wall three way adaptor (From first Poundland shop you see), this is so you can still have the TV, kettle and your extension cable as well.
Europe is the same, though the plugs are European round ones.  Some hotels can be very sparse of sockets as I have found out.
You will need the correct adaptor for the country you go to.
I digress!   Oh-jeez
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2018, 08:43 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: In some hotels sockets on the walls are limited to the other side of the room from the bed, this is why you need a long cable.

Who the hell does that? Huhsign
In pursuit of a goodnight sleep | Receive a discount at Wellue Health
Post Reply Post Reply
Gosh, I had no idea that my question would elicit so many helpful (and amusing, at times!) replies.  In the end, it's clear that I need to take a chill pill about reaching 0.0 apneas - as long as I feel good in the morning, that's what counts.  Last night, I slept the MOST hours - 8.5 - that I've slept in many, many months.  A great night and I feel ready to take on the world today... or, at least a round of golf!  My AHI was 2.0, CA was 0.8, and leaks were 31L/min.  Yep, a bit high on the leaks, but I still got a green smiley face this morning!  Looks like my ResMed 10 is able to handle leaks so far.  (The leaks were 10L/min two nights ago, but my sleep was miserable.)  I'm still hoping for some 0.0 in my future, but I think that'll require some tweaking of my machine.  And, since I've switched to a nasal mask - from nasal pillows - my AHI have bit higher, but still good.  Onward to chasing those windmills! Best!
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd say the likely best and short rule for AHI is threefold: get AHI under 5, leaks are controlled, and where you feel good when you get up in that AM. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2018, 08:43 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: If you ever come to Scotland:
Bring a long extension cable and a three square pin adaptor.  Put at least a three socket extension plug at the end of the cable, one for machine, one for phone and the other for laptop, other phone etc.  At least 6mtrs long if not longer, though it only needs to carry 6amps so does not need to be a heavy one.  In some hotels sockets on the walls are limited to the other side of the room from the bed, this is why you need a long cable.  I would also advise when you get here to go buy a wall three way adaptor (From first Poundland shop you see), this is so you can still have the TV, kettle and your extension cable as well.
Europe is the same, though the plugs are European round ones.  Some hotels can be very sparse of sockets as I have found out.
You will need the correct adaptor for the country you go to.
I digress!   Oh-jeez

I am coming to Scotland next April as part of my long service leave so thank you for the advice regarding power requirements. I usually pack the adaptor (I have two Aussie to UK models) and use a cube shaped power strip which has USB ports for phone charging. I suspect that the lead on this power strip is not long enough so I'll add an extension lead. Would two metres be enough?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 17 2,577 04-12-2024, 01:39 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,088 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 1,013 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 391 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 316 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,394 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 316 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.