Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to get to zero apneas??
RE: How to get to zero apneas??
(07-28-2018, 04:26 PM)sheepless Wrote: 0.0 can be particularly difficult to attain because the machine sometimes flags non-events when we're awake or holding our breath during a change in position, etc.  sometimes when we get close to 0.0, we can look at the flow rate and other charts and determine that despite what the machine recorded, we can discount some events as not real and know that we really did get to or close to 0.0.  not quite the same feeling of victory we get upon seeing the number 0.0 displayed for all to see, but pretty close.  plus what others have said: ahi is not the only or even always the best measure.  how we feel is as or more important.  there's nothing wrong with "chasing" 0.0 if it interests us.  the (sometimes difficult) trick is not to get hung up on it.

Yes, that is a good point as well.
As long as you feel refreshed in the morning that is all that should matter and you manage to stay awake all day.
As long as you have no fatigue during the day, everything is good.
After that, you can then work on improving things, though if you are fine during the day, you are off to a good start.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Made me look! I don't pay a whole lot of attention to numbers. For most of my 26 years on CPAP I didn't have ready access to numbers or didn't know I did, I think I was better off Smile Looking back over the last 2 weeks (MyAir) I see a range from 1.1 AHI to 0.0 (two of those in a row) more commonly around .5 with a fair amount of randomness.

I mostly sleep well unless there is something stressing me, like how am I going to get the motorhome back into my long term site? or packing to go on a trip, in which case my 3 ish wake up can extend for what seems like hours, more like 15 to 30 minutes. Even then I usually wake up refreshed and ready for whatever the day will bring. No work or money stress anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
"No work or money stress anymore."

I can only imagine, but that's awesome!
Post Reply Post Reply
Zero?!  I’ve never had that in 2 years.  I average around 2.0 and my doc said that’s great.  Since I was over 30 before my CPAP, I’m happy.  I’d love to see what 0 feels like, but I won’t hold my breath (literally) until I get it.   Good luck to you!
Post Reply Post Reply
I get zeros frequently but also sometimes get twos. It doesn't feel any different.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I tend to get lower AHIs on nights where I'm less stressed.

I've had maybe 7 zeros in the 1.5 years I've been xPAPing... and I've never noticed feeling any different than when I get my usual AHIs (.3-2.5). So it's not something I aspire to.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've had three 0.0s in the last five weeks and a lot of it is down to the new machine. However, if I'm under 1.0 every night (which doesn't always happen) I'm a happy PAPper. My therapy is working for me and I can feel it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you to all who replied to my question.  I checked my stats (myair) and noticed that most of mine range from 1+ to 2+ - with a few 3-3+ tossed in the mix.  Two night ago, I had amazing sleep - 7.5 hours!! - with 2.0 apneas with .02 CA. Psyched! Then, last night... awoke on my back (oops!) after only 3 hours hours of sleep and a funny/odd dream, felt my heart give a little thump, so decided to check my stats. (I don't have SH, just the Resmed clinical data.) Not happy... the leak rate was fine - 10L/min or a little more, as I recall, - but the apneas were 4.6 with 2.9 CA.  Yikes!  But, I immediately realized that supine sleeping is not good and that apneas would be higher.  Whew. Unfortunately, b/c I had spent so much time awake, I was then "rewarded" with 2+ hours of insomnia.  I tried to sleep for the 1st hour, then gave up, turned off the machine and read for over an hour, turned back on the machine, fought insomnia again, then finally honked out.  My stats this morning show 3.9 apneas.  So, the ZERO just moved further out of range for me.  I have learned from your replies, however, thatI need to stay aon my sides when sleeping, and that I should ask my sleep therapist about raising my minimum pressure from 4 to ??  I also know that I need to be more patient: I am only in my 1.5 month of "compliance" with this machine. My brain will just have to operate on 4.5 hours of sleep today... Yawn.  Best
Post Reply Post Reply
Often have 0.0 ahi but far more often 1.0 to 1.5 and then sometimes get 3 to 5, really no predicting any of it, totally random.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-29-2018, 07:01 AM)laprof Wrote: I have learned from your replies, however, that I need to stay aon my sides when sleeping, and that I should ask my sleep therapist about raising my minimum pressure from 4 to ??   

laprof,
It is only natural that when sleeping on your back, the tissue in the back of the throat may collapse easier than when on your side, resulting in more Apnea events.  

Once you have your pressure range set appropriately, you would be able to sleep on your back if need be.  Right now, with a minimum pressure of 4cm, your machine has to work harder to reach the
optimal pressure needed to tackle Apnea events.

Talk to your doc or sleep therapist about raising the minimum pressure.  It should be set closer to the median pressure.  Although, you could just change it yourself.  Look at either ResMed or use #SleepyHead to find your median and 90% pressure readings.  Then set the minimum around the median number or 2cm below the 90% pressure reading.  

I’m not a fan of chasing an AHI to Zero, but would rather see an appropriate pressure range set according to your needs. If you haven’t already, order the Clinicians manual for your machine and change your minimum pressure to at least 6cm. Link at top of page.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 852 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 303 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 262 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,282 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 277 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
  High Number of Central Apneas HungryPanda 5 453 02-13-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.