Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to have login entries be remembered across one's devices
How to have login entries be remembered across one's devices
A dumb question, not even good for a laugh, for which I've been unable to find an answer.

Lazy, I guess, but having to do once-entered, remembered logins over and over when changing among devices--a small irritation--finally drove me to ask SUBJECT question. 

Apparently I have wrongly thought I have just one IP address for all my devices so login should be remembered across all devices. (Have even wondered if having different username and password pairs for each device would be one (loony) answer if allowed or technically possible  Loco) . 

Apparently I have a different IP address for each device and only one login pair can be remembered for a particular device--no others. Gotta remember and enter the/a login pair for all other devices.

When ya get old and have accumulated devices that worked fine, still do, and they did and still do a special "legacy program" thing for you OR you have an old back up, then you'll have them parked here and there, all still working with your wifi if needed. It's handy to grab the nearest device to take an immediate opportunity and not have to go find a password or a remembered device.

And, no, this old luddite does not want "safe" password storage concentrated aboard his devices.  Grin
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to have login entries be remembered across one's devices
Are you talking about your forum login? 'Cause I'm pretty sure that's based on cookies, not your IP. I have my phone browser logged into the board and it has never logged me out, and the IP associated with my phone changes each time it switches between wifi and mobile data. If your device isn't staying logged in I'd be checking your cookie settings on your device.

-Neelix
Post Reply Post Reply
Neelix, thank you. I wasn't specific enough and haven't fully comprehended your prompt reply. Re cookies I'm an ignorant and passive responder always agreeing to the cookies demand, not knowing how it relates to having P/W or user name be "remembered". You can't go many places of new or continuing interest without agreeing to cookies.

That said, now that AT&T is forcing all to switch phones to 4G , I have two 4G phones (a "free" one AT&T provided recently and another one off the phone system and used for browsing and hearing aid adjustments and wifi listening). Then there are two 3G "legacy" phones. From time to time, I'll grab any nearby phone and browse, through wifi, the web or will google something, often not carrying the functioning phone at home. I gave up on using any handhelds for posting and such because of the PW hassle.

Now the PC's. I have always found it necessary (is it unavoidable?) to get a different ApneaBoard password if I, after some weeks, switch to using the other home computer. Further, when I return to the computer I left earlier, my recently renewed ApneaBoard sign in items will not work. I'd like to at least be able to switch PCs and have my ApneaBoard login be remembered. I always check the AB "remember me" box.

Not sure I am helpable, but suggestions would be appreciated. Smile
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
So cookies are a small piece of data that a website can store in your web browser, and refer back to next time you visit. Have you ever been to a location where you've had to pay an entry fee, but then they put a stamp on your hand so that you can go in and out as needed for the rest of the day or evening without having to pay again? In this context the cookie in question is like that stamp. When you log into the board, it sends you a cookie that uniquely identifies you. When you go back to the board later, it sees that cookie, and gives you access to your account because that cookie tells it who you are.

The cookies have an expiry date though. If you keep visiting the site on a given computer or device the site will renew the expiry date each time you visit, so you can stay logged in indefinitely on that computer. If you haven't used that computer to access the site in a while it's like trying to go back to the same venue after the stamp has been washed away, and having to pay the entry fee again. The cookie has expired so you have to login with your username and password so that the site knows who you are. (Though if you can keep track of your password you should not need to change it each time.)

Does that clarify things at all?

- Neelix

(Edit: I may be wrong about it extending the expiry date each time you visit. The cookie that identifies me on this computer expires on 22 September 2022, which suggests to me that on this site at least they have a fixed expiry date of 1 year from the date of login)
Post Reply Post Reply
What that means for you is that the devices you are having trouble with probably have a setting somewhere that causes the cookies to be cleared periodically. If you can find and disable that setting you should be able to stay logged in on those devices. That's what I meant by checking your cookie settings in my earlier post.

-Neelix
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the fast, responsive and clear reply. My anti-virus/anti-spyware software sweeps had to be the problem. Upon switching to the other idle computer, the first thing to do always was to run all update software, anti-spyware and malware detectors and do sweeps. Only after that begin any browsing or work.

I did not understand AB site cookies held my ID and PW related necessities. Based on your explanation and without doing usual sweeps, I just now went to the other computer and, voila, AB recognized me as if I'd not been away. Thanks a heap, Neelix!

Post Reply Post Reply
No worries, happy to help.   Smile 

- Neelix
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,855 03-27-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Smart Watches/devices Fourkidletts 172 16,479 03-02-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: dataq1
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 204 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Equipment] Philips Replacement Devices - No PREHEAT or AUTO-OFF malabarflash 0 231 01-27-2024, 01:50 PM
Last Post: malabarflash
  [Equipment] Any experiences with Ventmed VM8 or other Ventmed devices? Bhante 2 546 08-13-2023, 01:21 AM
Last Post: Bhante
Question [Equipment] What are the strengths + weaknesses of Surgically Masking over CPAP devices' air inle StackExchange 2 613 02-27-2023, 02:37 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
Question Question - apnea mouth devices Thimbelina 1 510 07-19-2022, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.