Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to hook CMS50I oximeter's finger-puylse sensor to laptop USB
How to hook CMS50I oximeter's finger-puylse sensor to laptop USB
The ("Uarte Bridge" "spO2 Assistant" software, I think) for my CMS50I oximeter seems to indicate one can feed pulse sensor transmissions directly into a computer, using that software, without using the wrist-worn data processor-recorder with its "dashboard" ( its opening screen which displays time, a beat-by-beat amplitude bar, a pulse waveform presentation and a PMI indicator).

Unable to scare up anything else I bought what I thought was a Mini B female to Type A male adapter to convert/adapt the finger-pulse sensor's male Mini B to a Type A male or female connector. But there is a very slight difference between the (narrower maximum) width of the female Mini B female opening and the male connector (seemingly a Mini B) on the sensor.

The directions for the CMS50I stress that one should not use other cables and the almost invisible mismatch may be a safety feature (or I got an inferior adapter).

Has anyone solved this problem or conclusively established that one cannot hook the sensor to the computer directly to display (on a larger scale) the pulse waveform in real time--as the software seems to indicate would be possible? Ideally one could record heart data (on the wrist-worn device, if not on the computer, too) while looking at the wave form on the computer screen when awake.

[TMI, maybe:There will likely be those who question why I want to do this. Fine. I can simply say it has been good to be able to show a thoughtful MD info that is irregular as well as to personally discover and modify patterns that are common to habits of diet, caffeine use, irregular night owl sleeping patterns, exercise intensity, medications, yada, yada. Thanks to Sleepy Head and so much intelligent (pattern sensitive) guidance from this Forum's moderators--and no thanks to a sleep MD--my RDI starting point as described in my Profile has  improved to the point of having very frequent--even simultaneous--zeroes for AHI and max LL; these good results have come while flow limitations are horrific, even with little or infrequent Snore. I do not understand why there is such high flow resistance in light of my being able to continually exercise at a 5.7 MET level, having a BMI of 22.4 with a 15 inch neck.

Maybe its my Charcot Marie Tooth, if there is no other (say, a Arnold-Chiari) neural disorder, and consequences of my past ice-cream sins. I bordered on being obese for a few years-BMI nearly 30, some 40 years ago. An upcoming appointment with a hghly recommended neurologist may lead to answers for (mostly) earlier extremely long apneas: this after my very good neurologist, who diagnosed CMT nearly 20 years ago and  who I last saw 7 years ago, retired 4 years ago and has not been available after my PCP's diagnosis of severe sleep apnea.]
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to hook CMS50I oximeter's finger-puylse sensor to laptop USB
The finger sensor can ONLY be connected to the "watch". The watch has only one USB port.This allows you to connect the watch to the finger sensor or the computer, but not both. The software suggests there may be other devices with a pass through capability. The blue tooth/ wireless versions CMS 50iw for example may allow such functionality.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-27-2017, 01:35 PM)bwexler Wrote: The finger sensor can ONLY be connected to the "watch". The watch has only one USB port.This allows you to connect the watch to the finger sensor or the computer, but not both. The software suggests there may be other devices with a pass through capability. The blue tooth/ wireless versions CMS 50iw for example may allow such functionality.

Thank you. I was advised of these facts elsewhere yesterday and that wave forms can also be viewed in realtime using certain--but not all--other predecessors of the Contec 50I.

I don't know yet whether one could record data from them on the computer and view the two pulse and SpO2 waveorms after sleep and (also?) be able to display a  sampling of the  oximeter data as can be done in Sleepyhead with the 50I, all sleep and heart data graphed on the same timeline. 

Differences among and limitations of the Contec models'  sampling rates are relevant and present unknowns for me, too. If lucky, it may be as simple as buying an additional Contec. Shy
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
You can import the data from the 50i directly into SleepyHead.
Once imported it is displayed along with all the other graphs and can be moved up or down for your viewing pleasure.
You can also use the software you received with the 50i for their take on displaying the info.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2017, 04:29 PM)bwexler Wrote: You can import the data from the 50i directly into SleepyHead.
Once imported it is displayed along with all the other graphs and can be moved up or down for your viewing pleasure.
You can also use the software you received with the 50i for their take on displaying the info.

Thank you bwexler.

Sorry! I failed to mention that I have been importing the 50i data into SH without trouble from my first loading of SpO2 Assistant in December 2015.

I had hoped to disperse the highly compacted view of that data along the timeline scale that shows when opening SpO2 (roughly, on my monitor, about an inch of width for 10 seconds of elapsed time is what appears upon opening the Assistant. It seems that the 50i cannot exercise that feature of the Assistant, but (I'm advised recently) that certain earlier Contec models have two ports that may enable real time recording on a laptop. I'm guessing that the 2-port version must permit passing the data thru the watch to the laptop without having any recording capability in the watch or, maybe, with the capability to record only one sleep session (like the 50F? SH mentions on its oximeter related screens). 

A completely new and separate issue has arisen for me. SH suddenly quit opening for me about 6/1/17, possibly caused by and after a W10 automatic update. No active process shows up in the Task Manager when I click it; I just get the spinning disk which soon stops. Oh well, it was good to have it run trouble free from fall of 2015 and I may have to reinstall. I was advised to install 32 and 64 bit versions of Visual C++, but that has not helped (thru those two 2013 versions). I think Developer Mark said he was not going to do some labor intensive updating of SH that recent changes from Microsoft might entail. Possibly my 64 bit computer has bumped into the change.

I'd appreciate any suggestions hoping I could use them to resume using SH with my several patient profiles/files (archives)  continuing to work as before June 1.

2SB

Post Reply Post Reply
We just rolled out the SleepO2 an Android App which works with Contec CMS50K wearable Oximeter.

You can search in Google Play for the App. The App also integrates with Fitbit.
Post Reply Post Reply
The CMS50FF unit has both a barrel plug (finger stall), and a micro USB (download/Assistant review and PC monitor/Assistant Real Time ).

I have used mine in both modes and find it consistent and accurate.

...  Philip
Post Reply Post Reply
Aquanaut20 - How long have you had your CMS50F, and what is its firmware version? AFAIK, all the current ones (version 3.7 and above) only have the one slightly odd mini-USB connector. Either the finger sensor can be plugged in, or the USB cable, but not both at the same time.

I ?think? that SleepyHead can still read data from your older CMS50F, as well as the current version. It may be able to read either live data or recorded from yours, but only recorded data from mine.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are 2 models,

CMS50FF..  2 ports, and
CMS50F ..  1 port.

I have had mine for about 3months..

...  Philip
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Aquanaut20, I haven't seen that one yet. I hope that it works with SleeyHead like the ver. 3.7 CMS50F; have you tried that, or only used the SpO2 Assistant software from Contec?

Ahh, Google to the rescue. This is apparently a closeout of the earlier version, pre-3.7, at a very good price. I may jump on it myself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,215 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 89 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
Question Oximeter Sensitivity mhjunk525 1 151 03-02-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 202 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 671 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,286 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question My CMS50I Broke Brewskie 8 292 01-10-2024, 06:56 PM
Last Post: Brewskie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.