Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to interpret AHI
How to interpret AHI
I have been using the ResMed S9 Autoset for the past ten days. I have also been reading the data via SD card and Sleepyhead software. Most of the data is meaningless to me but I have been watching the AHI. With an AHI of 3 or less for most of last week (last night it was 1) can I conclude that I no longer have sleep apnea?

Any help in interpreting the ResMed data, in addition to AHI, would be appreciated.

Cheers, VegasPier

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to interpret AHI
Well...you can't conclude you no longer have apnea, but you can conclude your treatment is effective.

Post Reply Post Reply
Howdy VegasPieer, welcome to Apnea Board!

You probably realize this, but just so others are clear on this, having an AHI below 5.0 does not mean that your sleep apnea has been "cured" or that you no longer have sleep apnea. Rather, it means that the treatment is working and has reduced your apnea events down to an acceptable level. Quit using CPAP and the apneas will come right back.

As far as interpreting SleepyHead data, I don't currently use that program, but here's the ResScan Data Interpretation Guide which has a lot of useful info in it that would also apply:

http://www.apneaboard.com/ResScan_Interp...-Guide.pdf

Hoping others can offer more specific help to you on SleepyHead.

Smile
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi VegasPieer and WELCOME! to the forum.!
What jgjones1972 and SuperSleeper said.
I currently don't use any software so hang in there for more suggestions.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, VegasPieer--I have witnessed what SuperSleeper wrote about experiencing my full apnea symptoms returning just as soon as I stop using the machine. So, one must continue using the machine and mask; it's ongoing. As far as all the data your S9 is collecting, there's one data line that goes along with AHI in importance, I'd say. And that is the leakage rate. Having a leak rate that is too high will throw off the AHI numbers reported by the machine. It's not in Sleepyhead, but in ResScan software, the company has a red line at 24L marking the maximum acceptable leak rate for the machine to provide correct data. ResMed says the machine is able to compensate for a leak up to that level but not beyond.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2013, 11:21 AM)VegasPieer Wrote: I have been using the ResMed S9 Autoset for the past ten days. I have also been reading the data via SD card and Sleepyhead software. Most of the data is meaningless to me but I have been watching the AHI. With an AHI of 3 or less for most of last week (last night it was 1) can I conclude that I no longer have sleep apnea?

Hahaha no. You misunderstand the concept.
Sorry for laughing and I realize it's an honest mistake.
Let me try to draw a comparison.

Okay. It's like when you have a cold and you take cough syrup.
You've treated the symptoms only. But you still have a cold.
You're not cured.

With a CPAP you've treated the symptoms of sleep apnea.
But you'd better believe it, you're not cured.
Oh-jeez

Expect to have apnea for life. Especially if it's "mixed" or central.
I know that even my own doctor suggested the symptoms can be alleviated if I lost weight. Maybe so. But it's not a cure.

And it's hazardous to your well being to "experiment" to see if you're "cured" or not. Having a low AHI simply means your treatment is working. It's probably a good idea not to mess with it.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
My AHI is generally around 3. However, if I am foolish enough to take a nap without my machine, I am groggy the rest of the day. Definitely not cured.
Post Reply Post Reply
cpap is treatment ... not a cure
there is more to the therapy than AHI
AHI tells the number of apnea events that lasted 10 sec or more per hour during the night
but does not tell you hours slept or if slept thru the night or "how do you feel"

fragmented sleep can prevent you getting into deeper stages of sleep which is important for restful sleep and waking up feeling refreshed

its going to take some time and improvement can be slow coming after years with apnea and sleep deprivation

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Sounds like your therapy is going very well. But as stated by others it is the treatment of CPAP Therapy that is bringing yours numbers down. I have learned even when napping to use my CPAP. A few hours here and there with no therapy while sleeping can add up to trouble in the future! Glad you joined us, lots of nice people here with plenty of experience!
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply
As to "cured," you could reasonably say you're "cured" until you try to sleep without the machine.

AHI is the most easy and useful measure of apnea. It's not a perfect measure of how bad your apnea is, but it's a good starting point. Once you learn how to read the data your machine records and look at the graphs, you can go a little deeper. If your AHI is good, and you feel OK, don't obsess over it.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Please help me interpret my results baganaz 2 184 03-14-2024, 12:48 PM
Last Post: baganaz
  Help interpret OSCAR for best pressure settings 444zane3 3 402 01-11-2024, 01:08 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Frequent wakeups with mild OSA -- help me interpret OSCAR? mcrick 6 700 12-24-2023, 09:48 AM
Last Post: mcrick
Question Newbie here - Could you help me interpret data please? Unkikonki 7 537 12-03-2023, 12:32 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help me interpret my second Sleep Study results YouTakeMyBreathAway 194 11,874 10-04-2023, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  New APAP user need help interpret chart farmdog 5 568 09-02-2023, 08:57 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Can you help me interpret this cluster of events? TiredTom111 1 444 08-12-2023, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.