Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to keep close my big mouth wit FFM?
How to keep close my big mouth wit FFM?
Hi everybody. Smile
Have been 10 weeks with the CPAP therapy and the main goal for the first time with the CPAP therapy are fulfilled:
1-I use the machine every day more than 7 hours/day everyday.
2-The use of the mask is already a habit, not a torture.
3-I use Sleepyhead and I can understand the graphics and I learned how to use and get reports from my Oximeter.
4-I know how to set up my mask for low leaks.

My AHI are in the 4-5 span. It is time to move on, and lower them.

-I know what are my main problems:
1-Sleeping on my back.
2-Breathing with my mouth.
3-Fine tune of the machine.

Today post is about my mouth. When I use the machine I always got my mouth dry, because I think that I open the mouth as an answer to my Apneas. I would like to ask for advise to try to eliminate this bad event from my wish list.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to keep close my big mouth wit FFM?
I use a chin strap with my FFM for that very reason. Chin straps are almost as personal as masks although generally much cheaper.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Same problems here, I have tried a lot of things, lately I have been considering the use of a staple gun - Smile

Honestly, if your AHI is below 5 most/all of the time then focus on how you feel, not lowering your numbers. And if your mouth is dry then chances are you are opening your mouth enough to cause a leak - at least that is what happens to me. I suggest a chin strap also.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
On my path to CPAP the most difficult part I have found is correctly identifying what was going on and why, everything was new to me.

Are you sure you are opening your mouth because of apneas? If the pressure is set correctly the CPAP should respond to apneas regardless of breathing through your nose or mouth when using a FFM.

If the humidity is set correctly you should not get a dry mouth while using a FFM, unless it is leaking. But you might need more humidity to keep your mouth moist than you would need for just your nose.

Is it possible that your nose is getting congested and this is why you are mouth breathing?

Try those breathe strips (I use them every night), there are also inserts and nose rinses that many use. Once you are sure you are not or are no longer congested try the technique in Daria Vaders signature line to stop the mouth breathing.

I have also found that for me too much humidity caused congestion, for others too low humidity causes congestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
natyprueba,

Congrats on meeting your initial goals. Getting over the initial hurdles is the first big win. From here on the tweaks are easier.

I also added a chin strap to the FFM to address dry mouth and leaks caused when my mouth would drop open. It was so effective that I later graduated to nasal pillows with chin strap.

Highly recommend the chin strap if you are open to try it. I use a ruby chin strap which costs under $20 online.

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
PollQ just reminded me of something i figured out, if the mask is setting too low on our nose it will stop your breathing through your nose! Just the opposite of those little strips that help hold your nose open. I was amazed when I have the straps tighter just a 1/8 to 1/4 inch difference in position will result in my not being able to breath through my nose at all, and no restriction in breathing - and it is just the pinching of the top of my nose that causes this.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2016, 11:30 AM)natyprueba Wrote: When I use the machine I always got my mouth dry, because I think that I open the mouth as an answer to my Apneas. I would like to ask for advise to try to eliminate this bad event from my wish list.

I had the same problem, and found a chin strap helpful as has already been suggested. Also getting the mask sizing right helps. I find a small sized Simplus puts the lower part on my bottom lip and encourages it to stay up. Of course that might not work for you.

In addition there are sugar free lozenges I get at the local drugstore that are designed to stick to the roof of the mouth. I find these quite helpful as well, though I can live without them it does make things a bit easier.

Lots of people recommend Biotene mouthwash but I haven't found it helpful personally.

Turning up the humidity is supposed to help but I found that in my own case it didn't and I much prefer to use the lowest setting there. Might work for you, though.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Guys Thanks
-I will buy chin straps because almost everybody agrees with that.
-I changed my humidifier setting from 3 to 6 . Hope that change won't mess with my sinusitis. I will find out tomorrow when I wake up.
Ralph.
Post Reply Post Reply
The whoosh of the air blowing down onto my lips used to open my mouth but over time, i got used to it and now keep it closed. I knew when it was the blowing down that was doing it because my lips were chapped. When my mouth opened because of body position, then my lips were not as chapped. Shouldn't make a difference but it does. Switching cushion sizes helped, too.

I use the FFM because I don't want to use a chin strap. I am of the opinion if you are using a chin strap with a FFM, then just use pillows or a nasal mask with the chin strap. But that's just me and my bias. I hate all that headgear and maintenance and crap. The FFM is a pain in the arse to get to fit right. To stop leaks. To get the right size. If a chin strap keeps your mouth closed, switch to a different style of mask.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Update.
I slept almost 6 hours with the humidity setting in 6 and these were the results:
1- I think that is better for me. I need more testing time.
2-I got drops of water in the hose. I don't like that too much.
3-The machine began at about 5:30am to make a noise every 2 minutes like: clank, clank, clank, very low, but enough to wake me up. I stopped the machine and return to sleep.
Today I set the humidity in 5 and I am hopping for the best.
Come guys, keep helping me!!!Thanks
Ralph.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 33 10 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.