Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to keep close my big mouth wit FFM?
RE: How to keep close my big mouth wit FFM?
You mean the drops of water in the hose made noise?

Or they dripped onto your face? If they made it to your face, that's not from the hose, that's condensation in the mask itself. The heated hose heats just the hose. It keeps itself warm to keep condensation from forming inside the hose like on the outside of a Coke can. But it doesn't heat the mask or the mask's hose so condensation can form. It is common inside nasal pillows' frames.

I'd say you had the humidity turned up too much for your room. Let us know how 5 does.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi.
Were two different events:
!- I was in deep sleep phase and the click of the machine wake me up. I don't know what or where it was. I turned off the machine and resume sleeping.
2-I saw the drops, in the hose about a foot from the end , where the hose gets the mask. Nothing in the mask itself .
Ralph.
Post Reply Post Reply
Drops of water are not a big deal, when you get bad rainout it will totally block the hose making it difficult to breathe and make quite a bit of noise.

I can make my machine make that clicking noise by take deep breathes, it's the blower quickly changing speeds to supply my request for a lot more air. It went away after I learned to trust the machine more and relaxed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had rainout cause a gurgling noise in the hose.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
PoolQ
Thank you for your explanation. I was really worry because I didn't know what was the click in the machine.

Setting change update.

1-It looks that I needed a little more water in the air, because with the new settings the AHI has gone down to 2-3 from 4-5. Dry mouth sill over there, I must buy today the chin strips. The Sinusitis congestion is a little better.
2-The water condensation in the hose disappeared: My bedroom is always cold, because we live close to Canada and are use to live a little bit cold. We got an A/C of 8kBTU only for the bedroom. What I did to avoid the condensation was to heat the water up in the microwave before put in the machine, that worked for me.
Thanks
Ralph.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2016, 12:47 PM)PoolQ Wrote: .......
If the humidity is set correctly you should not get a dry mouth while using a FFM, unless it is leaking. ......

This holds true for some but not for all. My 95% leak rate is zero and yet without the chin strap I will get dry mouth. Some medications make one more prone to dry mouth and some people are naturally more prone to dry mouth.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-06-2016, 09:49 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I use the FFM because I don't want to use a chin strap. I am of the opinion if you are using a chin strap with a FFM, then just use pillows or a nasal mask with the chin strap. But that's just me and my bias. I hate all that headgear and maintenance and crap. The FFM is a pain in the arse to get to fit right. To stop leaks. To get the right size. If a chin strap keeps your mouth closed, switch to a different style of mask.

It does not work that way for all of us. I have tried a nasal mask and nasal pillows with a chin strap and the result is dry mouth. Yet the chin strap with the FFM works just enough to prevent the dry mouth that I get without the chin strap.

My 95% leaks are always zero and I have the correct size of mask.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Everybody. Thanks
I already order the chin straps, they will be here in 2-3 days.
Next steps:
1-Check the new humidity 5, for a few more days.
2-Begin with the chin strap ASAP.
4-Raise up my minimum pressure. As of today it is only 4 cms. of water and I fill it is not enough for me when I lay to sleep. I will try next week.
Ralph.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have tried the P10 with chin straps of several types, as well as glue, tape and other devices and can not wear a P10 (pillows). Regardless of my best efforts I WILL open my mouth while asleep. So, FFM is the only option for me. So far I am not using a chin strap with it, but that may be in my future, since I periodically wake to a dry mouth, so dry, my inside cheeks are glued to my gums and I have to rinse my mouth with water to slowly release them.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2016, 11:46 AM)PaytonA Wrote:
(08-06-2016, 09:49 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I use the FFM because I don't want to use a chin strap. I am of the opinion if you are using a chin strap with a FFM, then just use pillows or a nasal mask with the chin strap. But that's just me and my bias. I hate all that headgear and maintenance and crap. The FFM is a pain in the arse to get to fit right. To stop leaks. To get the right size. If a chin strap keeps your mouth closed, switch to a different style of mask.

It does not work that way for all of us. I have tried a nasal mask and nasal pillows with a chin strap and the result is dry mouth. Yet the chin strap with the FFM works just enough to prevent the dry mouth that I get without the chin strap.

My 95% leaks are always zero and I have the correct size of mask.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Yep. Which is why I said it was my opinionated bias. Or biased opinon. <grin> It would drive me nuts to deal with all that.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 29 4 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 367 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 802 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.