Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to keep close my big mouth wit FFM?
RE: How to keep close my big mouth wit FFM?
(08-08-2016, 05:15 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:
(08-08-2016, 11:46 AM)PaytonA Wrote: It does not work that way for all of us. I have tried a nasal mask and nasal pillows with a chin strap and the result is dry mouth. Yet the chin strap with the FFM works just enough to prevent the dry mouth that I get without the chin strap.

My 95% leaks are always zero and I have the correct size of mask.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

It would drive me nuts to deal with all that.

You are not there yet??? I thought that most of us were already. Big Grin Big Grin

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi everybody.

Update:

1-The new humidity setting (5) is working very good , AHI is down to 1-2.
2-I got today the chin strap. I am skeptical. I bought a professional one, but I think that it won't keep my big mouth close because it got an elastic Velcro. I saw a video of a Dr, where he described how to make one at home that I really liked. He use an old baseball cap. Cut out the brim. Sew non-stretchable Velcro to make the strap around the chin. I think that this one is cheaper and works better that the one that I bought. I will update you in the following days.
The link for the video is: [link to commercial DME website removed per Apnea Board rules... instead, search YouTube for "Dr. Ronald A. Popper demonstrates how to make a home-made chin strap"]
Ralph

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2016, 05:49 PM)natyprueba Wrote: The link for the video is: [link to commercial DME website removed per Apnea Board rules... instead, search YouTube for "Dr. Ronald A. Popper demonstrates how to make a home-made chin strap"]
Ralph

I watched the video and I plan to try it. My first concern is that he conflates opening your mouth with breathing though your mouth (air escaping through your mouth). Since even with your jaw not able to open, your lips can...

I hope it works, I REALLY want to use my P10 Nasal Pillows, but nothing has worked to stop my mouth breathing yet!

Frank
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I have never had an luck with chin straps. They hold my jaw shut but they don't prevent air from escaping through my lips. I know some folks can use the tongue to block that flow but some of us (a lot even) can't do that.

I have had some success using a wide chin strap and running it across my mouth but it doesn't stay in place due to the low area it has to run to the back of my head. It's also uncomfortable since it's stretchable material and consequently need to be pretty tight to accomplish the job.

I'm in the process of rethinking the concept and will try using a non-stretchable material and also incorporate some reliable method to hold it in place on the back of my head. To work properly, it needs to be quite low on the back so that's going to be a challenge. Velcro is fine for fastening at the rear but I'll consider using something more comfortable for the sides and front areas. With the wide chin strap I used before, I learned that it is beneficial to have some leakage through the material since it prevents the lips from being inflated out of shape, which is bothersome. To illustrate how that helps, stretch a cotton sport sock or equivalent across your mouth and breathe out through it. That small amout of leakage doesn't affect the therapy but provides good comfort and relief from the effects of air escaping through the mouth. If only a way to hold that sock in place could be worked out, I think we could have a winner. The position is critical since it must not interfere with the nasal pillows mask that I like to use.

Maybe I'll just wad the sock up and stick it in my mouth. That ought to hold it in place!!! Big Grin ( Don't laugh, that no worse than the duct tape method) Just think, a wet sock could be used if you have a dry mouth problem. Big Grin Argyles could be used for special occasions.

More R & D is needed on this problem and it's disappointing to see that the industry isn't coming forth with something better than the conventional chin strap.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi FrankNichols.

I am still in the same boat but I want to eliminate this problem from the "pendant" problems with the CPAP. I am still learning how to cope with all these stuff. My first day with CPAP was on 6/25/2016. With out numbers I am doing good, because I am sleeping about 8 hours/day with out naps, and before I was sleeping around 10 hours with isolated naps.With numbers: my sleep studied was 9.9 AHI, now almost always I am below 5.
-The 'Professional" mask did not work. Maybe I was bad biased before tried!Dont-know.
-I will go today to buy the materials and with the help of my wife, we are going to make the Dr. home chin strap.
Good luck.
Ralph.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’m a famous mouth breather and using a nasal mask for almost 4 years. Tried everything, and this solution is the best for me till now.

I ‘m using 2 chin straps of 7,5cm or 3 inches.
The first strap ends just beneath my lower lip.
Second is my nose mask.
Third is another strap just under my chin.

There are several materials you can try. Use the more stretchy one to lift your lower lip. Use another to secure your chin.

Just like Dude said more R & D is necessary.

Johan
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2016, 08:10 AM)natyprueba Wrote: Hi FrankNichols.

I am still in the same boat but I want to eliminate this problem from the "pendant" problems with the CPAP. I am still learning how to cope with all these stuff. My first day with CPAP was on 6/25/2016. With out numbers I am doing good, because I am sleeping about 8 hours/day with out naps, and before I was sleeping around 10 hours with isolated naps.With numbers: my sleep studied was 9.9 AHI, now almost always I am below 5.
-The 'Professional" mask did not work. Maybe I was bad biased before tried!Dont-know.
-I will go today to buy the materials and with the help of my wife, we are going to make the Dr. home chin strap.
Good luck.
Ralph.

Be forewarned, that it's always something. And most of us (I think) have gone through the issue of sleeping for 4 or 5 hours a night and feeling really great - so great we can't go back to sleep. Evently you get used to feeling better and then more hours will return.

Frank
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Everybody Thanks

Update:

1-I quit the Xylar, because it was not doing any good. The Xylar is working very good with my wife.
2-The "professional" chin strap didn't work for me, either.

What really work for me is:
A-Avoid for any means to sleep on my back. (that is not easy).
B-Get the right amount of water in the air that I am breathing.
We got yesterday a very bad storm and the humidity in the bedroom with A/c was about 60% . With the setting that I got in the machine (6) at 2:00 am I got condensation in the hose and awake me, because the machine began to bap, bap, bap every time I inspired. It took me about 20 minutes to find it out, lowered the setting and resume sleeping. Too much humidity gave me asthma and needed to use the Albuterol that I haven't used I more than 3 months. (Since the beginning of the therapy).
I must learn what will be the winter settings, because in my bedroom in winter time the relative humidity (with out humidifier) is around 20-25 % and the bedroom is cooler than now. I must avoid condensation in the hose and find out the exact correlation of wet -heater in the hose to avoid condensation and asthma.This will beginning to happens in 1-2 months from now. I got a Vick humidifier that I use in winter time. It raises up the RH to 40-45% after 4 hours running.
Remember that I am still learning to cope with this system.

At the end, I am happy with the machine, with my FFM mask, and with the forum, because I am leaving better.
Ralph.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2016, 08:11 PM)natyprueba Wrote: Xylar

Hmmmm... I can't seem to find this anywhere... is it spelled correctly? I'm presuming it's a sleep aid of some kind.

TIA
Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2016, 08:55 PM)icyura10 Wrote:
(08-14-2016, 08:11 PM)natyprueba Wrote: Xylar

Hmmmm... I can't seem to find this anywhere... is it spelled correctly? I'm presuming it's a sleep aid of some kind.

TIA

Xlear Nasal Spray?
I use this as well.

Although, he could mean something else.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 21 3 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 363 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,076 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 802 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,164 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.