Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to know if heated tube is working
How to know if heated tube is working
Had to get a new heated tube since the original one was almost cut in half ( no sure how that happened). Now I noticed that water is condensing inside the tube. I read it is because the tube is too cold. both settings are on auto. Should the tube not be warm to the touch after a few hours of use, like in the morning? mine is not warm.

I wonder if this tube is a dud.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to know if heated tube is working
Sadly I don't have experience with heated hoses (yet), though I have seen lots of threads about them. My dementia prevents me from making any suggestion other than to do a search for heated hose in the title. There is a lot of information about them, including some tips for checking them. (The Search tool is at the top of the page in the black banner.)
Post Reply Post Reply
I asked a similar question in this thread.

Perhaps it might help you.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can try changing to Manual humidity mode and set it between 1-8. Manual humidity mode will force you to choose a tube temperature, where Auto humidity gives the option to run the tube with the settings of OFF, 60-86 degrees, or Auto. I run the heated hose at 86 degrees, and I think I feel it warming up upon powering up the device for therapy.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would follow Sarcastic Dave's advice. I add that you double check the connection of the hose to the machine. Take a peek at the connector and make sure it isn't obviously damaged and reconnect the hose making sure it is fully seated.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2018, 10:28 PM)JesseLee Wrote: I would follow Sarcastic Dave's advice. I add that you double check the connection of the hose to the machine. Take a peek at the connector and make sure it isn't obviously damaged and reconnect the hose making sure it is fully seated.

Good point on the connector, JesseLee. The device end of the heated hose must mate with the terminals for it to power up the heated coil in the hose.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2018, 10:03 PM)S.L. Ping Beauty Wrote: I asked a similar question in this thread.

Perhaps it might help you.

Why didn't I think of that! So I measured ~10 ohms from center to left, on 200 scale, but on right, I got 12.87k on 20k scale, infinity with my diode setting. 

Also, I set the tube temp to max, and still the tube was not warm. I think I will buy a tube sock  Smile 
I think I will return it say its a dud and then measure the next one, see if that is any different.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let us know what the results are. I'm interested. I speculate that the higher (12.87kohm) reading might be a thermistor. I wonder if you put your hose in the freezer you might get a different value.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Without a cover, the resistance wires in a CPAP tube do not produce enough heat to be detected by touch. They are very low power devices, and are not intended to warm the air, but only to keep the tube wall warm enough to prevent condensation. Manual mode works better IMO, and I also use a fleece cover. My first heated hose was a product made in Australia, before Respironics and Resmed developed heated tubes, and it produced significant heat that could be felt.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can also use an infrared thermometer. Just point it at the hose and see if it is warmer than the temperature of the furniture that is close to it. You can get them as cheap as $20.00

car54
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 95 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 108 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  cleaning CPAP tube sleepingbetterinFl 6 226 03-14-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: apnea505
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 380 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 178 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Tube Size - 12mm, 15mm and 22mm MrIvanDrago 8 474 02-23-2024, 09:31 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Using the heated tube on Dream Station 2 arpegio 4 952 02-16-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: arpegio

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.