Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

RE: How to make distilled water for free
I grew up on a farm with the spring way up the mountain. Just below it was a big reservoir.

One morning we got up and started the showers only to jump back out. Skunk. We went up and a skunk was dead near the reservoir and the skunk smell had got into the water. We had to drain it.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-02-2012 10:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
pssnn Offline
Wiki Editor
Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
CPAP Pressure: 14 - 18
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Quattro FX + Swift FX

Sex: Male

(05-31-2012 10:35 AM)mjbearit Wrote:  
(05-31-2012 09:38 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  Not sure I'd want to make a still for water.... you know how them "Revenuers" are - they might think I'm makin' Indiana Moonshine. Bigwink

While it may sound funny it is technically illegal to own the equipment for making distilled water because then you could use that to make..um...spirits. I think that is probably like getting Capone on income tax charges though...they probably already have to want you for something else before they would bother...unless of course you were shipping out hundreds of gallons of "distilled water" in the back of a pickup at night! :grin:

It is not illegal to own distillation equipment. Many labs and businesses distill their own water and require no special permits or permission. The ETOH condenses at a different temperature than water so in order to use a water still to distill ETOH there would have to be modifications to the equipment.

"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
06-03-2012 02:00 PM
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

I would be more concerned about germs and bacteria on my tooth brush than using tap water
06-03-2012 04:29 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
312capri Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Respironics BiPAP Pro
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
Humidifier: Respironics System One Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 18/14

Other Comments: Quattro FX

Money RE: How to make distilled water for free
Just thinking out loud -- at 0.88/gal from my local Wal Mart is it worth the trouble? What about energy costs?
06-03-2012 05:59 PM
memnoch1974 Offline

Members

Machine: S9 Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model:
CPAP Pressure: 7
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

(06-03-2012 05:59 PM)312capri Wrote:  Just thinking out loud -- at 0.88/gal from my local Wal Mart is it worth the trouble? What about energy costs?

I have to agree. 88 cents per gallon -> you're buying not just buying distilled water, but convenience as well. What sucks is that you're buying more plastic that'll end up in a landfill...hope there's recycling centers near you. Otherwise, big win.
06-03-2012 09:11 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

I use distilled watter in my humidifier chamber even though I have a watter softener and filter because I just got used to it so I just kept on doing that. I wash my gear in tap watter with a soap though.

trish6hundred
06-03-2012 09:36 PM
DCwom Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: REMstar Auto A-Flex
Mask Make & Model: Go life
Humidifier: REMstar
CPAP Pressure: Auto
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

(06-03-2012 02:00 PM)pssnn Wrote:  
(05-31-2012 10:35 AM)mjbearit Wrote:  
(05-31-2012 09:38 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:  Not sure I'd want to make a still for water.... you know how them "Revenuers" are - they might think I'm makin' Indiana Moonshine. Bigwink

While it may sound funny it is technically illegal to own the equipment for making distilled water because then you could use that to make..um...spirits. I think that is probably like getting Capone on income tax charges though...they probably already have to want you for something else before they would bother...unless of course you were shipping out hundreds of gallons of "distilled water" in the back of a pickup at night! :grin:

It is not illegal to own distillation equipment. Many labs and businesses distill their own water and require no special permits or permission. The ETOH condenses at a different temperature than water so in order to use a water still to distill ETOH there would have to be modifications to the equipment.

True, my company has a still to recapture alcohol used for cleaning parts. Here's the crazy part, the cost savings isn't because we reuse the alcohol but because we save on hazardous waste disposal fees for the alcohol (did you know alcohol was a hazardous waste?). Saving money by avoiding regulatory costs is the name of the game for American manufacturing. The only permits we needed were for safety (venting).
06-04-2012 02:16 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Bobmac27 Offline

Members

Machine: REMstar Pro C-Flex +
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
Humidifier: System One
CPAP Pressure: 9

Other Comments:

(05-31-2012 01:30 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote:  What kind of water did you use that it was getting 'fuzzy'? It must have already been contaminated.

I have spring water, not municipal water. I never get fuzz or mold in the humidifier tank. I get a white mineral deposit that, if I am in the mood, I clear up with a vinegar solution soak.

The vast majority of bacteria is too small to travel with the water up through the hose and into your sinuses. There's a bigger risk of mold growing in the hose and becoming airborne. And that stuff will grow no matter what kind of water you use.

This topic is a subject of long debate. We basically all agree to disagree and use whatever water we are comfortable with.

So what is the best way to clean the hose?? Sorry for the newbe question.
06-07-2012 09:34 AM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

I use a vinegar and water solution. I fill the sink, add vinegar, drop in parts. For the hose, I use a cup to scoop water from the sink and pour into the hose. I hold both ends up with the opposite end lower. When water comes out, I then lay it in the sink. After an hour or so (I usually forget I am cleaning stuff), I drain the water, rinse everything off. I then slip one end of the hose onto the faucet and rinse the hose. Hang it up to dry. Some online suppliers sell a hose brush but I've never used one.

With the hoses now being clear-ish, it is much easier to notice something growing in there.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-07-2012 09:41 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
mjbearit Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: REMstar Auto AFlex DS550
Mask Make & Model: RESMed Swift FX
Humidifier: Heated humidifier - 2
CPAP Pressure: 12.5-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

I clean my equipment in the kitchen sink. I fill the sink up with soapy water, as if I were doing dishes and put everything in there. I let it soak for 20-30 minutes (or until I remember it) then I scrub what I can with a clean sponge rinse well with hot water, open the cabinet door and loop them up over the cabinet door to drip dry!

As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
06-07-2012 09:43 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Can home care provider make our machine unusable? LPN2012 10 303 Yesterday 05:22 AM
Last Post: LPN2012
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 5 607 11-12-2016 05:47 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Water tub maintenance for ResMed S9 Elite Maggie 9 350 10-30-2016 01:53 PM
Last Post: Maggie
  Water in hose after cleaning... JustMac 3 340 10-30-2016 06:51 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  The Water Thing and the Hose harmon k 4 347 10-23-2016 08:01 PM
Last Post: surferdude2
  Soclean check valve keeps filling with water wnorm 5 296 10-16-2016 10:29 PM
Last Post: bill-e
  ResMed Model 10 water Tank Jackie999 5 427 09-29-2016 07:30 AM
Last Post: lab rat