Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to make distilled water for free
RE: How to make distilled water for free
I grew up on a farm with the spring way up the mountain. Just below it was a big reservoir.

One morning we got up and started the showers only to jump back out. Skunk. We went up and a skunk was dead near the reservoir and the skunk smell had got into the water. We had to drain it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2012, 10:35 AM)mjbearit Wrote:
(05-31-2012, 09:38 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Not sure I'd want to make a still for water.... you know how them "Revenuers" are - they might think I'm makin' Indiana Moonshine. Bigwink

While it may sound funny it is technically illegal to own the equipment for making distilled water because then you could use that to make..um...spirits. I think that is probably like getting Capone on income tax charges though...they probably already have to want you for something else before they would bother...unless of course you were shipping out hundreds of gallons of "distilled water" in the back of a pickup at night! :grin:

It is not illegal to own distillation equipment. Many labs and businesses distill their own water and require no special permits or permission. The ETOH condenses at a different temperature than water so in order to use a water still to distill ETOH there would have to be modifications to the equipment.
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
I would be more concerned about germs and bacteria on my tooth brush than using tap water
Post Reply Post Reply
Money 
Just thinking out loud -- at 0.88/gal from my local Wal Mart is it worth the trouble? What about energy costs?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2012, 05:59 PM)312capri Wrote: Just thinking out loud -- at 0.88/gal from my local Wal Mart is it worth the trouble? What about energy costs?

I have to agree. 88 cents per gallon -> you're buying not just buying distilled water, but convenience as well. What sucks is that you're buying more plastic that'll end up in a landfill...hope there's recycling centers near you. Otherwise, big win.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use distilled watter in my humidifier chamber even though I have a watter softener and filter because I just got used to it so I just kept on doing that. I wash my gear in tap watter with a soap though.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2012, 02:00 PM)pssnn Wrote:
(05-31-2012, 10:35 AM)mjbearit Wrote:
(05-31-2012, 09:38 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Not sure I'd want to make a still for water.... you know how them "Revenuers" are - they might think I'm makin' Indiana Moonshine. Bigwink

While it may sound funny it is technically illegal to own the equipment for making distilled water because then you could use that to make..um...spirits. I think that is probably like getting Capone on income tax charges though...they probably already have to want you for something else before they would bother...unless of course you were shipping out hundreds of gallons of "distilled water" in the back of a pickup at night! :grin:

It is not illegal to own distillation equipment. Many labs and businesses distill their own water and require no special permits or permission. The ETOH condenses at a different temperature than water so in order to use a water still to distill ETOH there would have to be modifications to the equipment.

True, my company has a still to recapture alcohol used for cleaning parts. Here's the crazy part, the cost savings isn't because we reuse the alcohol but because we save on hazardous waste disposal fees for the alcohol (did you know alcohol was a hazardous waste?). Saving money by avoiding regulatory costs is the name of the game for American manufacturing. The only permits we needed were for safety (venting).
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2012, 01:30 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: What kind of water did you use that it was getting 'fuzzy'? It must have already been contaminated.

I have spring water, not municipal water. I never get fuzz or mold in the humidifier tank. I get a white mineral deposit that, if I am in the mood, I clear up with a vinegar solution soak.

The vast majority of bacteria is too small to travel with the water up through the hose and into your sinuses. There's a bigger risk of mold growing in the hose and becoming airborne. And that stuff will grow no matter what kind of water you use.

This topic is a subject of long debate. We basically all agree to disagree and use whatever water we are comfortable with.

So what is the best way to clean the hose?? Sorry for the newbe question.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a vinegar and water solution. I fill the sink, add vinegar, drop in parts. For the hose, I use a cup to scoop water from the sink and pour into the hose. I hold both ends up with the opposite end lower. When water comes out, I then lay it in the sink. After an hour or so (I usually forget I am cleaning stuff), I drain the water, rinse everything off. I then slip one end of the hose onto the faucet and rinse the hose. Hang it up to dry. Some online suppliers sell a hose brush but I've never used one.

With the hoses now being clear-ish, it is much easier to notice something growing in there.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I clean my equipment in the kitchen sink. I fill the sink up with soapy water, as if I were doing dishes and put everything in there. I let it soak for 20-30 minutes (or until I remember it) then I scrub what I can with a clean sponge rinse well with hot water, open the cabinet door and loop them up over the cabinet door to drip dry!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 23 536 03-24-2024, 06:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 91 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 210 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.