Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to "mark" Oscar for events like awakening?
How to "mark" Oscar for events like awakening?
Sometimes I'd like to note the time when I wake up (husband's snoring...) or some other "event".  I try memorizing the time on my bedside clock but never remember in the morning.  I'd like to be able to tie in some of the unexplained pressure increases or whatever on Oscar that don't seem to relate to CA's, etc.  Would turning the machine (Resmed Airsense 10) off and on do the trick?  Sorry if this is a kinda dumb question...!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How to "mark" Oscar for events like awakening?
The off then back on action would work. It'll show a separate sleep session, so it can't be missed. It's likely the surest way of marking it unless you want pen and paper.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It does not show a separate session as listed on the sessions bar at the bottom of the Daily panel - unless the break is about two minutes or more.
For shorter breaks, there will be a gap in the flow and pressure gaps, which may be hard to spot. I am working a way of flagging these 'therapy breaks' for a future release.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to both of you for the feedback. Does "a gap in the flow and pressure gaps" mean if I zoom in I'd see the gaps in the Flow Rate and Pressure graphs from turning the machine off and on for a few seconds? That would be helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, thus corrected, even so the break or gap in flow rate and pressure should be quite noticable. Maybe try it next time you want to mark an issue and see if it works for you.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can definitely see the gap if you zoom in, I find it easiest to spot on mask pressure because you see the pressure ramping up from nothing to whatever your starting pressure is.

The other thing I've done is used the timer on my phone - start it going when you start your CPAP and when/if you wake up, hit the lap timer. You can use the basic one that comes with your phone if you are okay work out the actual time from the lap lengths, but I use an app called "Stopwatch 2 - Advanced Lap Timer For Android" which also has a timeline that notes the physical time for split times. Then you should be able to just look at it the next day and zoom in on the right time, without having to search for it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Those are two great tips! And I'd wondered how I could use my phone for something like this; would never have figured that out. Thanks so much.
Post Reply Post Reply
When sufficiently awakened or awake before falling asleep (and able to remember reasons why), I sharply displace and then replace my P-10 pillows mask within about a 3 second span. That causes a maximum large leak that stands out and I mostly remember why I did that. Most often, among the few times doing so, I've remembered a time when I thought I might have sensed one of those heart flutters, if not A-fib, episodes cardiology assistants always ask about before seeing the MD.

I've marked position changes that way, before using an accelerometer. That way I gained some idea of how breathing metrics change--at least when awake-with bodily shifts
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 343 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,395 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 264 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 176 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 267 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 767 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.