Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to overcome if you breath with mouth and nose same time when wear mask
RE: How to overcome if you breath with mouth and nose same time when wear mask
(04-17-2018, 06:24 PM)luckydxx Wrote: Hello Everyone, I took mom to Visit primary Doc today and told her nose issue. She Checked nose there is swelling and congestion, not sure it is rhinitis, prescribed:

ciclesonide 37 mcg/actuation nasal HFA inhaler Commonly known as: ZETONNA.

Also the sleep tech told me if mom has nose congestion, then wear nasal mask could be issue as that force her mouth open. We can try use strap to see how it goes. What do you think?

I think it is hard to predict who can use a nasal mask and who can't. My wife is not having much trouble, but I am. She uses a bit higher pressure than I do, but still manages to keep her mouth closed most of the time. I suffer a bit more than her from nasal congestion. I am not familiar with the inhaler drug your mother was prescribed. I use an over the counter nasal inhaler drug called Xylometazoline (Otrivin). I normally use it just before I go to bed. I find if I can get my nose clear at bedtime, the nasal mask flow will keep it clear during the night. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2018, 06:44 PM)Ron AKA Wrote:
(04-17-2018, 06:24 PM)luckydxx Wrote: Hello Everyone, I took mom to Visit primary Doc today and told her nose issue. She Checked nose there is swelling and congestion, not sure it is rhinitis, prescribed:

ciclesonide 37 mcg/actuation nasal HFA inhaler Commonly known as: ZETONNA.

Also the sleep tech told me if mom has nose congestion, then wear nasal mask could be issue as that force her mouth open. We can try use strap to see how it goes. What do you think?

I think it is hard to predict who can use a nasal mask and who can't. My wife is not having much trouble, but I am. She uses a bit higher pressure than I do, but still manages to keep her mouth closed most of the time. I suffer a bit more than her from nasal congestion. I am not familiar with the inhaler drug your mother was prescribed. I use an over the counter nasal inhaler drug called Xylometazoline (Otrivin). I normally use it just before I go to bed. I find if I can get my nose clear at bedtime, the nasal mask flow will keep it clear during the night. 
She used the nasal mask last night. Can only wear 3 hours. Looks like nasal congestion still force her open mouth to breath.
Post Reply Post Reply
Old but gold. I did breathe through both my mouth and nose. Nose makes Nitric Oxide which makes your lungs get 30% more oxygen in. I didn't read a single of the 14 pages, but after I had my septum fixed and turbinates cut, it was enough to breathe just through the nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2018, 04:42 PM)luckydxx Wrote: She used the nasal mask last night. Can only wear 3 hours. Looks like nasal congestion still force her open mouth to breath.

It may be too early to give up on the nasal mask. I wore a chin strap last night, and it was not a perfect solution to the mouth opening, but it helped a lot. But I don't think I open my mouth due to nasal congestion. I think at some point the pressure forces it open. Unfortunately I need that pressure. It is difficult...
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2018, 07:25 AM)crowtor Wrote: Old but gold. I did breathe through both my mouth and nose. Nose makes Nitric Oxide which makes your lungs get 30% more oxygen in. I didn't read a single of the 14 pages, but after I had my septum fixed and turbinates cut, it was enough to breathe just through the nose.

thanks. My mom is 70 years old. 

So why did you need to do the cut and fix surgery? I am not sure what ENT will say for my mom. But i think going through surgery (not sure how serious it is for the surgery) at her age might not too workable.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2018, 09:26 AM)Ron AKA Wrote:
(04-18-2018, 04:42 PM)luckydxx Wrote: She used the nasal mask last night. Can only wear 3 hours. Looks like nasal congestion still force her open mouth to breath.

It may be too early to give up on the nasal mask. I wore a chin strap last night, and it was not a perfect solution to the mouth opening, but it helped a lot. But I don't think I open my mouth due to nasal congestion. I think at some point the pressure forces it open. Unfortunately I need that pressure. It is difficult...

Hi Ron, is it safe to clean the climate control tube with water, i noticed there is a connector on the tube, is it water proof?

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2018, 10:13 AM)luckydxx Wrote: . . . is it safe to clean the climate control tube with water, i noticed there is a connector on the tube, is it water proof?

Yes, it is safe. The water should not be any hotter than it being comfortable to your hands. A mild dish soap, like Dawn, or regular shampoo may be used.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, as Crimson Nape says just use some soap and water. I put a few drops of Dawn in the tube, fill it with warm water, and slosh it around to clean it. Then I use lots of warm water from the tap to rinse it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2018, 10:33 AM)Ron AKA Wrote: Yes, as Crimson Nape says just use some soap and water. I put a few drops of Dawn in the tube, fill it with warm water, and slosh it around to clean it. Then I use lots of warm water from the tap to rinse it out.

Hi Ron, would you be able to tell the difference between climate one and the regular one? thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2018, 10:18 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote:
(04-24-2018, 10:13 AM)luckydxx Wrote: . . . is it safe to clean the climate control tube with water, i noticed there is a connector on the tube, is it water proof?

Yes, it is safe.  The water should not be any hotter than it being comfortable to your hands.  A mild dish soap, like Dawn, or regular shampoo may be used.

Hi Crimson, would you be able to tell the difference between climate one and the regular one? thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 8 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 209 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,432 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.