Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How to overcome if you breath with mouth and nose same time when wear mask
RE: How to overcome if you breath with mouth and nose same time when wear mask
OpalRose, is it possible to set the starting number for Ramp? I was thinking it starts at 4 no matter what. Although I'm using a different machine, the VAuto. (btw, love the new avatar!)
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2018, 09:45 PM)kiwii Wrote: OpalRose, is it possible to set the starting number for Ramp? I was thinking it starts at 4 no matter what. Although I'm using a different machine, the VAuto. (btw, love the new avatar!)

I know with the Phillips machines you can set the ramp at a higher number.  I am assuming the same applies to ResMed.  There are many ResMed users here...mabye they will confirm.

Thanks, that avatar reflects how I feel every time I start to diet.   Sad
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
does water container need to take out from device every day or leave it there? do you use new water everyday? thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2018, 09:29 PM)kiwii Wrote:
(04-08-2018, 09:25 PM)luckydxx Wrote: ...I can't tell what changed. But from the beginning, she hasn't been used to the device either.

Check the filter. If she is using the same one that she started with, it needs to be changed (even if she has been washing it).

Yes i just changed the filter for her.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2018, 09:45 PM)kiwii Wrote: OpalRose, is it possible to set the starting number for Ramp? I was thinking it starts at 4 no matter what. Although I'm using a different machine, the VAuto. (btw, love the new avatar!)

ramp is time, set to off, auto, or from 5 mins to 45 mins

"Ramp Time can be set to Off, 5 to 45 minutes or Auto. When Ramp Time is set to Auto, the device
will detect sleep onset and then gradually increase from the start pressure to the minimum
treatment pressure at a rate of 1 cm H2O per minute. However, if sleep onset is not detected, the
device will reach the target pressure within 30 minutes.
"

I have change her start pressure to 6, min-max to 8-15. Ramp not sure what to set
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2018, 09:34 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
(04-08-2018, 09:24 PM)kiwii Wrote:
(04-08-2018, 09:18 PM)luckydxx Wrote: "avoid Ramp" could you be specific mean ramp off, or ramp set to certain time between 5 -45?

I set auto since i don't know how long will take her fall into sleep. 

If ramp is off, what would happen?

I would turn it off, but I wish one of the gurus would answer this for you because I am not knowledgeable enough. Here is my version:

With Ramp on, it will start very low and slowly build up to the proper level. The draw back is that this happens every time the machine turns on (even if Mom gets up during the night).

With low pressure, Mom feels like she is suffocating. With low pressure, Mom is not getting enough treatment to prevent her apnea.

I wouldn’t personally use the ramp feature when her minimum pressure is set at 5.  There is no where to ramp up to.  

Now if you were to raise the minimum pressure to at least 8cm, then using the ramp to start at 5 for 45 minutes may help her to feel more comfortable.  

Hang in there, sometimes it’s a bit of a struggle to get it right.

I changed start pressure at 6, min - max t0 8-15. But i don't know what ramp time should set.

Also i did see the mode could choose : cpap, autoset, auto set for her. She is using autoset for her now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2018, 11:51 AM)Ron AKA Wrote: I gave you suggested settings in the other thread. 10 cm max is clearly too low and causing most of the problems. Do you have a SleepyHead chart that you could post for the time when the machine was set at 5 min and 20 max? That would be informative.

On your question, with a full face mask it should not matter whether she breaths through the nose or the mouth. That is the main reason for using a full face mask.

i did see the mode could choose : cpap, autoset, auto set for her. She is using autoset for her now.

I have change her start pressure to 6, min-max to 8-15. Ramp not sure what to set
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, I am not at all knowledgeable, but I would think the 8-15 are the actual pressure settings and the "start pressure" of 6 is the starting Ramp pressure. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will see this and let you know.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2018, 09:55 PM)luckydxx Wrote: does water container need to take out from device every day or leave it there? do you use new water everyday? thanks

There are many opinions on how frequently the water i the humidifier needs to be replaced, how often the chamber shoild be drained, and how often it should be cleaned. It depends on the source/type of water and the bacteria in your environment. If you use tap water and it is hard water you will need to change the water frequently (probably daily) and clean the chamber weekly or more often to prevent the buildup of mineral deposits.  If you use distilled water you will need to change the water and clean the chamber less frequently unless you see slime buildup in the chamber (often pink colored). I use distilled water and just top off the chamber daily. I completely drain and refill the chamber every week or two. I occasionally wash it with detergent. I never see any evidence of microbial growth (I'm a microbiologist and know what to look for.).  So there is no single correct answer. If it's a concern, it's probably best to empty the chamber and refill it daily since it takes little time.  If you do that, there is no advantage to using distilled water.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2018, 09:55 PM)luckydxx Wrote: does water container need to take out from device every day or leave it there? do you use new water everyday? thanks

I also usually just top off the tank. Sometimes I will dump out the water, swish a little bit of fresh distilled water in it, dump that, and let it air dry. Every now and then I'll take it apart, wash it thoroughly and let it air dry. I've never seen any discoloration or slime. I use distilled water because our water is very hard, and I buy steam distilled from a health food store because I can't find it anywhere else.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 23 3 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 363 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 205 Yesterday, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,426 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.